Man United Supporters Thread (Part 48)

Comments

• dixiewhiskeydixiewhiskey Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laughable story of the day:

West Ham will not sell England striker Andy Carroll this summer and believe the 26-year-old can show his true form after two injury-hit seasons with the club.

I can't wait to see this true form.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish we'd signed Petr Cech.

Quality keeper that's still probably in his prime.

Good signing for Arsenal.

They're getting stronger all the time & it's making them even stronger.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laughable story of the day:

West Ham will not sell England striker Andy Carroll this summer and believe the 26-year-old can show his true form after two injury-hit seasons with the club.

I can't wait to see this true form.

LOL!!!

I can't believe he's only 26!

He seems to have been injured for 26 years!:p
  • Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If they get themselves a midfielder and a forward, let's say Schneiderlin and Lacazette, that would certainly make them title contenders.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stories from the papers

Daily Star

Manchester United outcast Nani, 28, jetted to Turkey last night in the hope of thrashing out a £7m switch to Fenerbache.

The Portugal winger spent last season on loam at Sporting Lisbon and is surplus to requirements at Old Trafford.

Newcastle are keeping a close eye on Manchester United's Jesse Lingard, who scored the winning goal against Sweden on Sunday night.

The 22-year-old midfielder is facing another season out on loan and Steve McClaren knows all about Lingard, who spent the second half of last season playing for him at Derby.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You thrash that deal out, Luis!!
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Star are claiming that Woodward is 'playing hardball', and that he's 'demanding' a straight swap.

Can't see Madrid going for that, somehow.

We should continue to play hardball then.

The way I see the De Gea situation is

Madrid pay the fee Utd want ,although he only has a year left on his contract. He can't walk away so if they want him now ,pay up.

He can go on a free at the end of next season. Let's see how desperate they are to bag him this summer.

I've heard a lot of rumours that Utd was just a stepping stone for him to go to Madrid. Maybe he believed that Atletico wouldn't sell him to rivals so this might be the best way to do it. If there's any truth in that, then he's a bit of a shit quite frankly.
  • Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We should continue to play hardball then.

The way I see the De Gea situation is

Madrid pay the fee Utd want ,although he only has a year left on his contract. He can't walk away so if they want him now pay up.

He can go on a free at the end of next season. Let's see how desperate they are to bag him this summer.

I've heard a lot of rumours that Utd was just a stepping stone for him to go to Madrid. Maybe he believed that Atletico wouldn't sell him to rivals so this might be the best way to do it. If there's any truth in that, then he's a bit of a shit quite frankly.

So you get a goalkeeper who you know is leaving in a years time. You bed in any new defenders or a back four with a keeper that is going to leave. You write off any transfer fee as well and in one years time you need to go shopping for a keeper and every club will max out their prices knowing that you need to get one in early so he can start working with the new defence. All Manchester United are doing here is losing a transfer fee and putting the problem off for a year, which is an issue with a goalkeeper.

Manchester United aren't a stepping stone because he couldn't possibly know whether the move would be a success or not but any Spanish player leaving Spain for a big club know that if they do well either Barca or Real are likely to come calling.
  • TribecTribec Posts: 9,330
    Forum Member
    Manchester United aren't a stepping stone because he couldn't possibly know whether the move would be a success or not but any Spanish player leaving Spain for a big club know that if they do well either Barca or Real are likely to come calling.

Thus said big club becomes a stepping stone to Barca or Real...
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    -Wrong thread-
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tribec wrote: »
    Thus said big club becomes a stepping stone to Barca or Real...

Its hardly a career plan though - "I'll go to Man Utd then to Real Madrid", its just logical that that is what happens to players time after time after time if they are Spanish and at the top of their game (or indeed any nationality to be fair). De Gea could have gone to Old Trafford and sunk faster than Ben Foster, in fact his first season wasn't very good - it could have been career suicide if he hadn't survived that and under some managers he probably wouldn't. I suspect he only considered it once it had become clear that he was actually good enough to be of interest to them. Id hardly be calling him a shit for it.
  • TribecTribec Posts: 9,330
    Forum Member
    Its hardly a career plan though - "I'll go to Man Utd then to Real Madrid", its just logical that that is what happens to players time after time after time if they are Spanish and at the top of their game (or indeed any nationality to be fair). De Gea could have gone to Old Trafford and sunk faster than Ben Foster, in fact his first season wasn't very good - it could have been career suicide if he hadn't survived that and under some managers he probably wouldn't. I suspect he only considered it once it had become clear that he was actually good enough to be of interest to them. Id hardly be calling him a shit for it.

No one is calling him a shit for wanting to go to Madrid if as it does seem likely to be the case.

You suggested earlier that any Spanish player leaving Spain for a big club knows that should they do well, that's it's probable for Barca or Real to come in for them. Now you are blurring the edges.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tribec wrote: »
    No one is calling him a shit for wanting to go to Madrid if as it does seem likely to be the case.

You suggested earlier that any Spanish player leaving Spain for a big club knows that should they do well, that's it's probable for Barca or Real to come in for them. Now you are blurring the edges.

I was replying to a post where the poster said that if he used the club as a stepping stone he was being a bit of a shit so yes he is being called that.

A stepping stone by definition is using something to get somewhere else. I don't believe De Gea ever did that.

That does not negate the fact that if you are in the top two or three in your position you can become a target for Real or Barca (see Neymar, Ronaldo etc etc) If you are young, Spanish and not playing in Spain then that is even more so. If I know that and you know that then I'm pretty sure every top flight player knows it too.

That doesn't make Manchester United some pawn in De Gea's dastardly game.

No blurry edges whatsoever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was replying to a post where the poster said that if he used the club as a stepping stone he was being a bit of a shit so yes he is being called that.

A stepping stone by definition is using something to get somewhere else. I don't believe De Gea ever did that.

That does not negate the fact that if you are in the top two or three in your position you can become a target for Real or Barca (see Neymar, Ronaldo etc etc) If you are young, Spanish and not playing in Spain then that is even more so. If I know that and you know that then I'm pretty sure every top flight player knows it too.

That doesn't make Manchester United some pawn in De Gea's dastardly game.

No blurry edges whatsoever.

He's a bit of a shit to basically let his contract run down so we are at the mercy of Madrid offering a low fee.

Suarez and Ronaldo must have known they would be leaving,however they at least signed new contracts which at least meant the selling club got a fair price.

What I see is that De Gea has effectively made sure he ends up being sold for peanuts so long as he ends up at Madrid. He's give the finger to the club that is partly responsible for his progression as a top drawer keeper.

Why doesn't he hand in a transfer request ? Because as it stands it makes him look like he's acting like the professional rather than risk getting the fans on his back for mugging us off.

Okay you want to leave,come out and confirm it,let us get a fair price and we can move on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a bit of a shit to basically let his contract run down so we are at the mercy of Madrid offering a low fee.

Suarez and Ronaldo must have known they would be leaving,however they at least signed new contracts which at least meant the selling club got a fair price.

What I see is that De Gea has effectively made sure he ends up being sold for peanuts so long as he ends up at Madrid. He's give the finger to the club that is partly responsible for his progression as a top drawer keeper.

Why doesn't he hand in a transfer request ? Because as it stands it makes him look like he's acting like the professional rather than risk getting the fans on his back for mugging us off.

Okay you want to leave,come out and confirm it,let us get a fair price and we can move on.

i get what you are saying but I think you are being a bit harsh all the same.

He has a year to go on his contract and he knows Real are interested and he fancies the move. I don't think that makes him unreasonable.

I think if you are looking to blame someone you have to ask why you are in this situation in the first place. It because you didn't tie him down to a new deal when he had a couple of years left on his contract. Thats what clubs do now specifically to prevent this type of thing happening. Why on earth this wasn't dealt with a year ago so that if he refused a new contract then you could at least have got a fee closer to what he is worth as a footballer.

That ship has sailed though and you are forced to deal with the consequences which in this case is a player who wants to leave. If he actually was being a shit he would wait the year and negotiate an even bigger deal with Real and you will get nothing at all. At least as it stands you still have some choice in how it pans out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DDG doesn't owe us anything. He's played superbly for us these past two seasons and now he wants to return to a prettier city with nicer weather and where his mum can do his washing for him. Good luck to him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DDG doesn't owe us anything. He's played superbly for us these past two seasons and now he wants to return to a prettier city with nicer weather and where his mum can do his washing for him. Good luck to him.

So he can leave at the end of his contract then.

We don't owe him anything either.

:p
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see Lingard back starting for the Under 21's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He will have a point to prove so he has that on his side, and he is far and away the best keeper Arsenal have had since Seaman was in his prime, but I don't think he is in his prime now, his last full season at Chelsea, I thought he made a fair few uncharacteristic mistakes that he had not done before.

Perhaps this move will rejuvenate him, and be will be back to his best again, but for me, he is not that big of miss for us to not have him here as things stand currently (and even with De Gea's seemingly inevitable departure).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL!!!

I can't believe he's only 26!

He seems to have been injured for 26 years!:p

I read today that Villa's new signing Richards was only 27, I thought he was a bit older than that as he seems to have been "England's next right-back" for years upon years!

So I understand your shock at Carroll's age!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stories from the papers

Daily Star

Manchester United outcast Nani, 28, jetted to Turkey last night in the hope of thrashing out a £7m switch to Fenerbache.

The Portugal winger spent last season on loam at Sporting Lisbon and is surplus to requirements at Old Trafford.

Newcastle are keeping a close eye on Manchester United's Jesse Lingard, who scored the winning goal against Sweden on Sunday night.

The 22-year-old midfielder is facing another season out on loan and Steve McClaren knows all about Lingard, who spent the second half of last season playing for him at Derby.

Humm, I am hesitant to be too excited at the prospect of sending Newcastle another one of our players on loan, after the way that they treated Rossi, but with Steve knowing and understanding Lingard, I would be a little more open to that, then if he was not there.
  • Tony_DanielsTony_Daniels Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think that De Gea deserves a bit of criticism. I don't believe he's suddenly developed an interest to leave and/or heard of Madrid's interest to buy. It does leave a bit of a bitter taste in the mouth that he's leaving at the time when we're not able to get anywhere near is full value. Had he made his intentions clear last year we could have perhaps acted then, brought in a replacement and sold him at his proper value with 2 years remaining on his deal.

I'm not going to hold any animosity towards the player over it, he didn't have an obligation to play this any other way but it would have been nice if he had. Last year we'd probably have been looking at double or even tripling and then some the rumoured £13m on the table now. It's not quite leaving on a free but it's being one of the world's top keepers likely to be leaving for far less than we paid for him, when he wasn't.
  • zielerzieler Posts: 8,038
    Forum Member
    Humm, I am hesitant to be too excited at the prospect of sending Newcastle another one of our players on loan, after the way that they treated Rossi, but with Steve knowing and understanding Lingard, I would be a little more open to that, then if he was not there.

Why on earth would Rossi not playing at Newcastle nearly a decade ago matter?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think that De Gea deserves a bit of criticism. I don't believe he's suddenly developed an interest to leave and/or heard of Madrid's interest to buy. It does leave a bit of a bitter taste in the mouth that he's leaving at the time when we're not able to get anywhere near is full value. Had he made his intentions clear last year we could have perhaps acted then, brought in a replacement and sold him at his proper value with 2 years remaining on his deal.

I'm not going to hold any animosity towards the player over it, he didn't have an obligation to play this any other way but it would have been nice if he had. Last year we'd probably have been looking at double or even tripling and then some the rumoured £13m on the table now. It's not quite leaving on a free but it's being one of the world's top keepers likely to be leaving for far less than we paid for him, when he wasn't.

Other players aren't allowed to let their contract run down to the last year, they sign earlier or are sold. I don't understand why he wasn't put on the spot last summer. If he indicated then that he wouldn't be signing then by all means cash in. Its pretty much how it works these days I reckon.
This discussion has been closed.