Options

Is £147bn and 70,000 jobs more important than the destruction of an old village?

Comments

• Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    Orwell was right when he called Britain 'Airstrip One' in 1984.

I live in south London and the noise pollution is already terrible. There are some pretty powerful MPs against this, and Cameron is on record 3 years ago as saying it'll 'never happen', so I guess if it does go ahead at least it'll **** up Tory relations for a while.

...easy solution and frankly rather obvious

-move :)
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Thames estuary solution is so much better. Keeps the flight paths over water
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    The Thames estuary solution is so much better. Keeps the flight paths over water

Boris is totally right on this one. Big business has dictated on this airports review. We need another runway now. Build it at Gatwick quickly. We need another one to be in the planning. This is where moving the major international airport to the estuary fits in. It can be built and capacity moved across from Heathrow over a long period. Heathrow site can be released for major housing developments for London.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Boris is totally right on this one. Big business has dictated on this airports review. We need another runway now. Build it at Gatwick quickly. We need another one to be in the planning. This is where moving the major international airport to the estuary fits in. It can be built and capacity moved across from Heathrow over a long period. Heathrow site can be released for major housing developments for London.

Who is this 'we' you are referring to?
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chuck Wao wrote: »
    ...easy solution and frankly rather obvious

Ah, the old 'move' capitulation, often used in correlation with telling the unemployed to get a job.

I'll stay, thanks, but will oppose any further expansion. It's probably a doomed hope, but seeing the Tories have a minor civil war over it will be fun. Boris' legacy as a mayor depends on it.
  • Options
    PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't stop progress, and a few NIMBYs shouldn't stand in the way of the needs of the many.
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The old village in question isnt a village. Its surrounded by huge built up areas and is located 200 yards from the airport fence. The residents are being offered market value plus and expenses. Flatten it. There will be a huge jobs market there forever.
    Modern aircraft are much quieter than the screamers that flew over my head in the 1970s and 80s when I was in isleworth and hounslow.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought Boris's argument was rather strange saying that this was the kind of thing you could do in Communist China but it's no longer possible in a free country

Does that mean that we in the West are now forever doomed to live in the 1990s for the rest of time ?

Do we never build any roads, railways, housing estates, football stadiums, concert halls, shopping centres, power stations etc etc etc

Do we just stick with what we've got now forever ?
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    I'll stay, thanks, but will oppose any further expansion. It's probably a doomed hope, but seeing the Tories have a minor civil war over it will be fun. Boris' legacy as a mayor depends on it.

Interesting piece on Newsnight last night......the gist of it was that Cameron set up the Davis's enquiry to kick the issue into the long grass for the duration of the last Parliament. Cost about 20 million to enable Dave to duck the issue.

Now Davis has reported he's found another reason to delay a decision
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PinSarla wrote: »
    Can't stop progress, and a few NIMBYs shouldn't stand in the way of the needs of the many.

You are right, how dare people want to live in a house they might have lived in for decades and that they have invested a lot of time and money in to get just the way they want.
    The old village in question isnt a village. Its surrounded by huge built up areas and is located 200 yards from the airport fence. The residents are being offered market value plus and expenses. Flatten it. There will be a huge jobs market there forever.
    Modern aircraft are much quieter than the screamers that flew over my head in the 1970s and 80s when I was in isleworth and hounslow.

I think you will find that even in the money-obsessed, greed-is-good, culture that we have today, not everyone shares that view.

To move house is a massive hassle at any time, to have to do that under those circumstances, pluss all the hassle of finding a new house, having to arrange a mortgage, if needed, plus everything else will be a very stresseful, something which money can't compensate. It is very likely people will end up considerably out of pocket if this goes through despite the promises of compensation and expenses and if it were me I would be very angry at the prospect.

Don't be so cold-hearted.
  • Options
    Jenny_AustinJenny_Austin Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    I would have thought the people living next to the airport would jump at the opportunity to sell up, especially as they are being offered 25% extra for their property!

Or is it not so bad living next to an airport?

Can't have it both ways!
  • Options
    Payne by namePayne by name Posts: 3,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There used to be an old town called Londinium.

Should that have remained exactly as it was or were we right to move forward?

I agree with the posters that express frustration at it's endless delays. Get the damn thing built and let's stop hampering our growth and losing revenue to appease some obstinate, backward thinking nimbys.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the broader sense, yes it's worth it. However I think a better option would have been to extend Birmingham's airport. Birmingham is a central location and the airport is just off the M42 and already has its own train station. With the HS2 coming it will have excellent links to London. Unfortunately yet again the London centric view wins out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Build Boris Island!
  • Options
    Payne by namePayne by name Posts: 3,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    In the broader sense, yes it's worth it. However I think a better option would have been to extend Birmingham's airport. Birmingham is a central location and the airport is just off the M42 and already has its own train station. With the HS2 coming it will have excellent links to London. Unfortunately yet again the London centric view wins out.

If someone is flying into the country to visit, it's likely that they are going to want to be close to the Capital centre, which is London, from where they can fan out to other smaller cities and parts of the country. Alternatively, they may want to hook up with a connecting long haul flight from Heathrow.

What use is a 2 1/2 hour (maybe 2 in about 10 years time when HS2 comes in) train ride into London or an even longer journey time to get to Heathrow?

You have to make an airport attractive to it's users. People regularly ridicule smaller airlines for using airports on the periphery of where you want to be yet we are going to force all these new visitors to what they'd consider a small regional airport that is at least 2 hours away from where the majority want to be.

The anti London rhetoric does get on my tits. It's the Capital of this country and one of THE major cities in the world so we need to think globally rather than small minded and regional.

Airports are about international travel and freight. Heathrow is a leading international airport because of it's proximity to London. To make it bigger and better we need to think of it's place in the World rather than it's place in the UK.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get the feeling that if this had been in any other part of the country it would have been done, dusted and built by now. No matter which village was in the way.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously. I think they are deluded & the government should get a move on. Develop Heathrow and Gatwick and also Burmingham. It's not a competition. They will all need upgrading at some point and the quicker one is fine the quicker the project on the next can be developed.

Plus nobody alive moved next four to an airport and didn't know there was a possibility of expansion. It's silly to object. Like moving to the countryside and complaining about church bells, or cocks or moaning about how loud cities are. It's their nature.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Interesting piece on Newsnight last night......the gist of it was that Cameron set up the Davis's enquiry to kick the issue into the long grass for the duration of the last Parliament. Cost about 20 million to enable Dave to duck the issue.

Now Davis has reported he's found another reason to delay a decision
    this is the real problem, no one wants to make the decision, im sure whichever airport gets developed will in the long run be fine, each plan having its own merits and all, but whats needed is a quick decision not constant stalling, its going to takes to build the actual runway, so the longer it drags on it just gets worse and worse.
  • Options
    ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nobody from abroad wants to come to Birmingham.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm astonished reading this thread. People actually think having a new runway or whatever is worth the destruction of people's property? Blimey.

Amusing that these people talk about nimbys. I wonder how pleased they'd be if it was their village being razed? Actually, scrub that - I expect the emotional, historical, sociological aspect wouldn't count if they got enough cash.

(I live in the north, btw - so no vested interest at all).
  • Options
    donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heathrow can be a nightmare to travel to and leave at times,if they are adding a runway they need to look at doing something with the M25 as well.

That aside I always think the compulsory purchase compo is too low,(it's normally market value I think) given that you're forcing people to leave and the fact here will be all sorts of backhander on billion pound projects then Market value + half should be a bare minimum
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    ustarion wrote: »
    Nobody from abroad wants to come to Birmingham.
    Nobody from here wants to go to Birmingham :p
  • Options
    Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ustarion wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33340495

The question is the national interest more important? Unfortunately, I think it is.

There's a nice thatched village near where we live, but the council want to demolish the cottages and 14th century pub and replace the village with high rise modular flats and a concrete village centre on stilts with parking beneath.

Some residents are in favour as they dont like having a thatched roof and low ceiling and tiny windows. They like the modern system built tower block with lifts etc.

The 14th century thatched pub is to be replaced by a new pub with prefabricated concrete walls and a non-pitched bitumen roof.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm astonished reading this thread. People actually think having a new runway or whatever is worth the destruction of people's property? Blimey.

Amusing that these people talk about nimbys. I wonder how pleased they'd be if it was their village being razed? Actually, scrub that - I expect the emotional, historical, sociological aspect wouldn't count if they got enough cash.

I have no real emotional, historical or sociological attachment to where I live. Offer me a fair settlement for my property (at an acceptable premium) and cover my legal costs to buy somewhere else then I'd be prepared to move. The greater good of improved infrastructure, more jobs and a better economy has got to me worth more than my house.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Birmingham airport was recently extended and now they offer flights to India, China and elsewhere. It's just that it doesn't make national headlines or cause endless debates in Parliament

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-28407867