Gutted/rant

Comments

• Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you sure they didn't find out you were EbonyHamster from DigitalSpy? That might have put them off?
  • Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope you get that money back
  • reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    vierte wrote: »
    And where do the pets go when she has inspections. We had two small hamsters in one cage and they stink even with being cleaned regularly, the op is probably used to the smell but to anyone else it must be horrendous smelling.

Underneath the bed. No inspection is that thorough. I used to have rodents and id just hide them it isnt hard. There is a smell but nothing that is going to get through whatever you throw on top of the cage to hide it. And what polite inspector is going to start commenting on the smell? How will they force you to tell them? Do you have pets? No. OK
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    wampa1 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you could get away with not bringing up that you have a few rodents in a cage. It's not like a dog or cat that your neighbours mind get wind of and mention if they're chummy with the landlord and they're not going to scratch the furniture and destroy the place.

Was thinking that but changed my mind
    tim59 wrote: »
    Your best bet would be to try swaping with another social tenant, as the 2 good benefits from this are having pets in never so much as a problem, and still have a secure tenancy, you dont find these in the private secure market.

I want out of council, I doubt very much anyone would want to live here and we can't move to another council with this number of pets
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    I think there's a difference between a few rodents in a cage and 40 odd hamsters and mice in various plastic boxes.

It's a shame, but I think that it may be a game changer for many landlords.

We don't have 40 odd hamsters and mice
    pugamo wrote: »
    Here's an idea. Get rid of the mice and don't live your life enslaved to rodents?

No
    AnnieBaker wrote: »
    Well they have not done much apart from muck everything up. If I were ebony I would demand they find suitable accommodation or refund the money. It is not ebony's fault if they did not listen about the hamsters.

Ebony, start by sending them a letter recorded delivery.

Was thinking of contacting CAB
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    reglip wrote: »
    Underneath the bed. No inspection is that thorough. I used to have rodents and id just hide them it isnt hard. There is a smell but nothing that is going to get through whatever you throw on top of the cage to hide it. And what polite inspector is going to start commenting on the smell? How will they force you to tell them? Do you have pets? No. OK

Good luck with hiding around 40 plastic boxes containing hamsters under a bed.
  • reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Good luck with hiding around 40 plastic boxes containing hamsters under a bed.

mm im talking about the normal amount of hamsters. If you stack them?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    reglip wrote: »
    mm im talking about the normal amount of hamsters. If you stack them?

Far from a normal amount.
  • DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do they have a car to hide them in....a huge car?

What they need is a cupboard ..... Oh!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What they need is a cupboard ..... Oh!

I wonder what happened about the dreaded cupboard? How much more trauma?
    I recall countless pages of agonising about it.
  • LuckyyemLuckyyem Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I may be being thick, is there a specific reason you want rid of the council? Lots of people would like the security of a council tenancy as opposed to a private landlord. We have had to move 3 times in the last 5yrs, each time we were assure it would be a long term thing the LL had no plans to sell etc, each time their circumstances have changed and they have sold.
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    Do they have a car to hide them in....a huge car?

i misread that as "huge cat" :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What exactly was the £100 for?

It will be for credit checks, references etc and it is non refundable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    planets wrote: »

Ooo you! :D
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like the OP is stuck between a rock and hard place and another hard place.

She wants to move out of her flat where she can have as many rodents as she wishes (or can she, maybe the mystery visits from the council asked her to remove the rodents, hence the reason for the move)

She doesnt want to be secretive about the number of rodents she has, she is being up front to various letting agents, but this only serves to sabotage any attempt at moving

She doesnt want to get rid of said rodents

Three standpoints which do not match up with each other, so something has to change I would have thought.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    planets wrote: »

Well it would certainly solve the problem.
  • yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well they have not done much apart from muck everything up. If I were ebony I would demand they find suitable accommodation or refund the money. It is not ebony's fault if they did not listen about the hamsters.

Ebony, start by sending them a letter recorded delivery.

There is a question of considering the whole truth to this story of course
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Ebony please answer this.

The lifespan of your pets is about 2 years right? So why dont you stop them breeding, not buy anymore and let nature take its course?

Yes the pets will sadly die naturally, but within three years you will be free to move into a rental property. Plus you will have three years of extra savings!

Nobody is saying get rid of the pets now, but just let them live their lives and gradually you will have less and less. It will be less drastic than going from 40 to 0 overnight.
  • Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luckyyem wrote: »
    I may be being thick, is there a specific reason you want rid of the council? Lots of people would like the security of a council tenancy as opposed to a private landlord. We have had to move 3 times in the last 5yrs, each time we were assure it would be a long term thing the LL had no plans to sell etc, each time their circumstances have changed and they have sold.

I'm wondering the same. Like council might not isn't ideal, but I'd probably just put up for the benefits of it. I've moved 3 times in as many years, and last time it was two months notice because the landlord wanted access. Even if you do find somewhere more suitable you might just have to move again in a year, and face the same situation over again if you can find somewhere suitable again, might take longer than the notice with that number of pets, I've not come across many that are okay with any. Plus aren't council properties on the whole cheaper?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    Seems like the OP is stuck between a rock and hard place and another hard place.

She wants to move out of her flat where she can have as many rodents as she wishes (or can she, maybe the mystery visits from the council asked her to remove the rodents, hence the reason for the move)

She doesnt want to be secretive about the number of rodents she has, she is being up front to various letting agents, but this only serves to sabotage any attempt at moving

She doesnt want to get rid of said rodents

Three standpoints which do not match up with each other, so something has to change I would have thought.

Are you suggesting, giving just one inch in life? :D
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »
    Ebony please answer this.

The lifespan of your pets is about 2 years right? So why dont you stop them breeding, not buy anymore and let nature take its course?

Yes the pets will sadly die naturally, but within three years you will be free to move into a rental property. Plus you will have three years of extra savings!

Nobody is saying get rid of the pets now, but just let them live their lives and gradually you will have less and less. It will be less drastic than going from 40 to 0 overnight.

Once again we do not have 40!

But yes we are going to let the numbers drop

I will not be without pets though
  • soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if you can put keyboard warriors in plastic boxes and hide them under your bed... better than seeing all the nastiness and judgemental posts
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Some potential tenants are vermin enough, I wouldn't welcome actual rodents in to my property!
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Once again we do not have 40!

But yes we are going to let the numbers drop

I will not be without pets though

How many of each do you have?
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Sellotape them all together and pass 'it' off as a dog.
    Forum Member
    jesaya wrote: »
    How many of each do you have?

23 hamsters (21 Syrians, 1 WW and 1 Chinese hamster) 9 mice (5 girls 4 boys)

All of the mice are old, 6 of the hamsters are 2 in October and 8 are 18 months end of August
This discussion has been closed.