Options

Celebrities that are "saintly" or "infamous...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
Forum Member
Seeing as so many threads are being made about it...

Who and why and has death made them more saintly or not?
Some examples below!

Michael Jackson
Freddie Mercury
Whitney Houston
Elvis Presley
Jimi Hendrix
Amy Winehouse

Madonna
Morrisey
The Gallagher Brothers

Comments

• Options
    David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My take on these:

Michael Jackson - Away with the fairies but harmless.
    Freddie Mercury - A genuinely nice person.
    Whitney Houston - Out of control and ultimately very selfish.
    Elvis Presley - Probably became insane and was very, very badly managed... He needed an "intervention".
    Jimi Hendrix - His demons got him.
    Amy Winehouse - Her demons got her.

Madonna - Dreadful, attention seeking fish wife.
    Morrisey - Miserable *&^"!%$
    The Gallagher Brothers - Noel was the brains of the operation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My take on these:

Elvis Presley - Probably became insane and was very, very badly managed... He needed an "intervention".

I loved reading that David. Thanks.
  • Options
    laurieloulaurielou Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My take on these:

Did Hendrix's 'demons' get him? His death was an accident caused by bog-standard sleeping pills.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Can't think of anyone I'd consider saintly. "Holy and virtuous".......nope, haven't met anyone like that.

Fame at the level of the people you've listed seems (generally) to take a toll on a person's ego and sense of perspective.

Not quite sure I understand the link made between fame and morality? All those listed are or have been very famous - Elvis and MJ more so than the others. Morrissey and Hendrix are my personal favourites as far as music goes. I don't expect any of them to be saints and I've never met any of them so would be unable to properly judge that anyway.
  • Options
    SpaceCakeSpaceCake Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    I'd class Courtney Love as infamous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    laurielou wrote: »
    Did Hendrix's 'demons' get him? His death was an accident caused by bog-standard sleeping pills.

I think he was a very troubled person. The cause of death was "bog standard" sleeping pill's, but I think there was a LOT of issue's that led up to that death.

Severe/Chronic Insomnia, for example, is now widely recognized as a mental/psychological illness, hence therapy and counselling being the main recommended treatment of choice rather than sleeping pills which are often counter productive, usually addictive, sometimes dangerous and don't do anything to address the underlying cause's of a person's sleeplessness.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My take on these:

Elvis didn't become insane >:(

He was an addict but by all accounts was a very decent man.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I didn't say he wasn't a decent man...

But when you read about how he was living his life in those final few year's (the prescription drugs, the strange "twilight" world, the eating binges, the way he would just fire off gun's randomly, dropping in on POTUS while apparently off his face on prescription meds etc...) I'm pretty sure he wasn't behaving rationally in his later years.

What he desperately needed, IMO, was for someone to get him away from Graceland and "The Entourage" and his leech of a manager and to clean him up.

It's a tragedy how he ended up... From the charisma and ability he had in the "68 Comeback Special" to that final concert in Minneapolis... And it was all so very, very needless if he'd been managed sensibly.
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amy Winehouse had a lot to offer but just had too many demons. In her final concert she refused to perform any of her popular material because she didn't want to be known for it anymore
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Madonna?
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd probably class Kylie as being "saintly". I think the only vague scandalette was the one of her supposedly not paying her dancers one time, but not sure how true that was. She's generally given a free ride by the media.

And Cliff Richard... Until recently.

As someone else said Madonna is just a rancid old fish wife.
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SpaceCake wrote: »
    I'd class Courtney Love as infamous.
    According to Courtney herself, her reputation is such that she is 'beyond libel', so even if she wins a claim for XYZ lawsuit, the claim would never hold up for damages
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

All accounts? really?

Madonna really gets far too much stick around here, "fish-wife" just doesn't make a lot of sense. Is she a gossip, hmmm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All accounts? really?

Madonna really gets far too much stick around here, "fish-wife" just doesn't make a lot of sense. Is she a gossip, hmmm.

She dared not to die in her prime!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 310
    Forum Member

Wasn't he pretty awful to Priscilla? He cheated on her and stopped seeing her as his wife after she gave birth. Didn't he also date her when she was 14? I've never understood why I rarely hear people bring that up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Men wrote: »
    She dared not to die in her prime!

I think there's always an interesting, but unknowable, argument about who would be more iconic if they died at the right time. I think James Dean is an interesting one there, I mean a young rebel dying young will always cause icon status. I think Montgomery Clift was considered just as big at the time, but lived on (still died relatively young, but not in the Dean category). Yet you can't know, Brando was also a contempory, and through films like the Godfather and Apocolypse Now, he's probably more famous.

Of course, not sure if it's "showbiz" but Diana Spencer too.

Marilyn Monroe another one who's death probably helped her fame, Orson Welles is one that could have died in his late 30's and been much more iconic.

Madge is interesting as I think she's had some resurgences, certainly up to 1998.

Yet I'm sure they all much rather live a long life:)
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't he pretty awful to Priscilla? He cheated on her and stopped seeing her as his wife after she gave birth. Didn't he also date her when she was 14? I've never understood why I rarely hear people bring that up.

Yes but that doesn't make Elvis "insane" which has been suggested by some people
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there's always an interesting, but unknowable, argument about who would be more iconic if they died at the right time. I think James Dean is an interesting one there, I mean a young rebel dying young will always cause icon status. I think Montgomery Clift was considered just as big at the time, but lived on (still died relatively young, but not in the Dean category). Yet you can't know, Brando was also a contempory, and through films like the Godfather and Apocolypse Now, he's probably more famous.

Interesting. Montgomery Clift was a far better actor than either Dean or the (to me) absurdly overrated Brando, yet is possibly the least remembered of the three.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Has the charges against Cliff dropped yet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    Interesting. Montgomery Clift was a far better actor than either Dean or the (to me) absurdly overrated Brando, yet is possibly the least remembered of the three.

Thanks, glad someone thinks my stream of inanity is interesting:)

Yes my mother always went on about Clift saying he was much better than the other two, and better looking, and I'd never heard of him really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Yes but that doesn't make Elvis "insane" which has been suggested by some people

I don't think Elvis was an inherently insane or mad person. I'm sure for the majority of his life he was perfectly lucid and rational...

But I do think there is evidence from what has emerged since he died, that in his final years (1973 to 1977) he became increasingly erratic and irrational and by the end of his life was possibly not in a fit enough state mentally or physically to look after his own affairs...

Which I assume is exactly the situation his leech of a manager and all the "hangers on" at Graceland wanted, because god knows how much they were all fleecing of him while he in drug induced near oblivion.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Elvis was an inherently insane or mad person. I'm sure for the majority of his life he was perfectly lucid and rational...

But I do think there is evidence from what has emerged since he died, that in his final years (1973 to 1977) he became increasingly erratic and irrational and was possibly not in a fit state to look after his own affairs...

Which i assume is exactly the situation his leech of a manager and all the "hangers on" wanted because god knows how much they were fleecing of his while he in drug induced near oblivion.

'Colonel' Tom Parker, Elvis's manager, who, before he managed Elvis, did fairground hot-dog stalls, with long cobs into which he put little bit of sausage, showing at the end. If purchasers complained of no sausage inside, he'd point at the ground, and bits of sausage squashed underfoot-which he was careful to have placed there before starting selling. Another scam involved warming a hot plate under chickens who were then billed as dancing birds.

I read an interesting article on him which says his emigration from native Holland at about twenty was very sudden and coincided with a man being found battered to death in his small home town. It was said Elvis did not tour internationally due to Parker having stowed away to get to America, and having no passport.
  • Options
    Forum Member

But I do think there is evidence from what has emerged since he died, that in his final years (1973 to 1977) he became increasingly erratic and irrational and by the end of his life was possibly not in a fit enough state mentally or physically to look after his own affairs...

Which I assume is exactly the situation his leech of a manager and all the "hangers on" at Graceland wanted, because god knows how much they were all fleecing of him while he in drug induced near oblivion.

Sleep deprivation due to severe insomia does that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Colonel' Tom Parker, Elvis's manager, who, before he managed Elvis, did fairground hot-dog stalls, with long cobs into which he put little bit of sausage, showing at thr end. If purchasers complained of no sausage inside, he'd point at the ground, and bits of sausage squashed underfoot-which he was careful to have placed there before starting selling. Another scam involved warming a hot plate under chickens who were then billed as dancing birds.

I read an interesting article on him which says his emigration from native Holland at about twenty was very sudden and coincided with a man being found battered to death in his small home town. It was said Elvis did not tour internationally due to Parker having stowed away to get to America, and having no passport.

Not only was "The Colonel" a wretched money grabber he was also an appalling manager...

When you think of all those cr*ppy little venue's he had Elvis playing at through the mid
    70's and the constant tour's that never seemed to end.... It was ridiculous for someone of Elvis's fame and ability - You just don't see the biggest name's in the world doing that....

He could very easily have done just a few show's a year (in America and internationally) at really massive venue's and earned just as much, if not more, than he was earning playing all those silly venue's across the US night after night after night after night.....

Everything about Elvis's final years was crazy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    His death was humiliating.