Prince *Appreciation Thread*

Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
Forum Member
Yes, his new music isn't exactly lighting up the world.
(Universal Wisdom, anyone?)

But from 1978 to 2004 he made some of Pop's greatest records, and His Purple Majesty is certainly an icon.

Comments

• NasalhairNasalhair Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, his new music isn't exactly lighting up the world.
    (Universal Wisdom, anyone?)

But from 1978 to 2004 he made some of Pop's greatest records, and His Purple Majesty is certainly an icon.

I'd actually say from 1980 to 1989 he made some unbelievably good music, but aside from that his recorded output has been pretty dire (and I'm a fan.) However, it must be said that when he's on stage he's incredibly good - one of the best live performers I've ever seen.
  • Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Nasalhair wrote: »
    I'd actually say from 1980 to 1989 he made some unbelievably good music, but aside from that his recorded output has been pretty dire (and I'm a fan.) However, it must be said that when he's on stage he's incredibly good - one of the best live performers I've ever seen.

Did you see the guitar solo he did for 'Gently Weeps' at a Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame concert?

Can't quite remember which one, but it was pretty amazing.
  • NasalhairNasalhair Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you see the guitar solo he did for 'Gently Weeps' at a Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame concert?

Can't quite remember which one, but it was pretty amazing.

Yes. This one, from about 3 minutes in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Purple Rain is one of the great benchmark albums.
  • BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    I hope he is doing Glastonbury as rumoured.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bathsheba wrote: »
    I hope he is doing Glastonbury as rumoured.

no he's not, nor x factor, or an audience with prince

for some reason the press are full of stories of made up crap at the moment about doing stuff he hasn't agreed to
  • BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    unique wrote: »

for some reason the press are full of stories of made up crap at the moment about doing stuff he hasn't agreed to

Glastonbury is not exactly in the same league of crapness as X Factor or An Audience with...
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    His 80's output is untouchable. He was incredible back then. So many amazing tracks.

'Sign 'O' The Times' seemed to burn him out. He was never as good afterwards. I blame religion. He famously got cold feet about releasing 'The Black Album', and released the inferior 'Lovesexy' in it's place. After that, there were one or two flashes (some of the 'Gold Experience' is wonderful), but he never quite had that spark.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nasalhair wrote: »

He's absolutely incredible live - he's a truly talented guitarist and vocalist.

His output has never been consistently strong, but even though he's possibly a shade of his former self, he still manages to put out the odd excellent track.

Still reckon he hasn't done anything at the level of "Bambi" - one of my all time favourite tracks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prince>Michael Jackson
    Forum Member
    d3nium wrote: »
    Prince>Michael Jackson

Totally.

He had so much more creative input and was a much better vocalist.

But Jackson had the media wrapped around his little finger.

Along with Bruce, they were the three most important male musicians of the '80s.

Aside from Rick Astley.;):D
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    His 80's output is untouchable. He was incredible back then. So many amazing tracks.

'Sign 'O' The Times' seemed to burn him out. He was never as good afterwards. I blame religion. He famously got cold feet about releasing 'The Black Album', and released the inferior 'Lovesexy' in it's place. After that, there were one or two flashes (some of the 'Gold Experience' is wonderful), but he never quite had that spark.

Hilarious, isn't it?

He thought TBA was 'evil', so he made a sex album in three weeks.

Classic Prince.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As many have said he was untouchable in the 80's
  • iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yup - anyone who put out :

for you
    Prince
    dirty mind
    controversy
    around the world in a day
    sign o the times
    lovesexy

in the space of a decade is clearly an enormous talent.

i think since then things have been more miss than hit, but he's still an incredible live act, and hope he'll be at Glastonbury too.

last saw him at the O2, and the afterhow with just him, Josh and Cora doing mostly old covers was just insanely brilliant.

Iain
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    iain wrote: »
    yup - anyone who put out :

for you
    Prince
    dirty mind
    controversy
    around the world in a day
    sign o the times
    lovesexy

in the space of a decade is clearly an enormous talent.

And you even forgot 'Parade' & 'Purple Rain'!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D'oh! I checked wiki to get the pre 1999 titles in order, and did think I was short a couple.

I guess they'll be listed under soundtracks.

for my money, Parade was his finest hour.

Iain
  • CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unique wrote: »

Glastonbury's been confirmed by members of his band.
  • BedlemBedlem Posts: 2,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Prince and the NPG outfit, including Maceo Parker. Recent output has been very poor but live, Prince and the band are untouchable. (for me, at least)

Anyone here see Prince on his O2 stint? 21 nights in London.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    Bedlem wrote: »
    Love Prince and the NPG outfit, including Maceo Parker. Recent output has been very poor but live, Prince and the band are untouchable. (for me, at least)

Yes saw him 3 times at the o2.
    Love him!!:)
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I did - sadly on one of his shorter (d'yall see what I did there :D) nights so I was a bit disappointed. What he did was amazing as ever, he just wasn't on for very long at all - and that was after coming on stage and saying words to the effect of "We're gonna be here all night".

I've seen him on three other occasions. One of the best live acts ever imo.
    Forum Member
    Just found out he is 28th on Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Artists of All Time list.

Proof of his genius.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bedlem wrote: »

yup - as above, the aftershow was superb, although in a way it was shame it wasn't one with Maceo and co doing their thing.

although i did get a chance to see Maceo at a jazz festival a few months after that - the guy is an absolute legend!

Iain
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CRM wrote: »

great news! do you have a source for that?

also - what's with the whole 'this is the last time i'm playing the hits' nonsense?

Iain
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CRM wrote: »

has it now?

shame it's been confirmed by prince himself that it's not true

as a matter of interest, what band members are these? i keep on top with what all his band members past and present are up to, and i've never seen any of them comment on it at all, nevermind "confirm" it

and any prince fan will tell you that he changes his band members on a regular basis. in the last couple of months he has changed drummers, bassists, and keyboard players for example, and his next cd has another drummer and bassist that haven't played any public live shows with him to date. so when it comes to summer next year, no-one knows who will be in his band, as prince chops and changes his mind and band like the weather

one thing is for sure, he isn't playing x factor, audience or glastonbury, these rumours have all been denied by prince
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bathsheba wrote: »
    Glastonbury is not exactly in the same league of crapness as X Factor or An Audience with...

no, it has a far smaller audience, but my point was that the rumours were crap, not the shows

btw just cuz a show is crap don't mean prince won't appear on it, he did appear on the finale of american idol in 2007, he just isn't booked to appear on the x factor on any dates at all. he'll be in the states starting his new welcome 2 america tour at the time. he has nothing to promote in the uk, thus no shows or appearances are currently scheduled

he was in london last week though. you didn't read that anywhere in any "news"papers or webshites though did you? just cuz you read something don't mean it's true, and just cuz you don't read it don't mean it didn't happen ;)

he's in belgium at the moment btw in case anyone was wondering