New York, mini break

QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have this urge to just get on a plane and go see New York for a mini break.

I have spent the last hour trawling through google for cheap deals, but i am getting figures all over the place. You see from £449 in the advert for hotel and flight then it comes back with like £1500 :mad:

Has anybody who has been before know of good places for cheap deals on the net/Any hidden gem? As everywhere seems to offer cheap deals then you pop the dates in and they come back with obscene figures.

I am looking to go between 28th Dec and 2nd Jan. Also is this a bad/good time to go New York? Will everything still be open like going up the Empire State building?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    Quackers wrote: »
    I have this urge to just get on a plane and go see New York for a mini break.

I have spent the last hour trawling through google for cheap deals, but i am getting figures all over the place. You see from £449 in the advert for hotel and flight then it comes back with like £1500 :mad:

Has anybody who has been before know of good places for cheap deals on the net/Any hidden gem? As everywhere seems to offer cheap deals then you pop the dates in and they come back with obscene figures.

I am looking to go between 28th Dec and 2nd Jan. Also is this a bad/good time to go New York? Will everything still be open like going up the Empire State building?

Everything will be open as normal but to be honest,this is the most expensive time of year for NY.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Times Sq for the ball drop would be awesome though.

I think tickets are hard to come by.

And Rockefeller Center > Empire State.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Times Sq for the ball drop would be awesome though.

I think tickets are hard to come by.

And Rockefeller Center > Empire State.

Really?? Standing in a pig pen for 10 hours without being allowed out to even use the toilet?? Yes sounds really fun:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Youre never gonna get there for £449.

Sorry.
  • minorityminority Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am going in Feb costing 2 of us about £1500 for 7 days we booked whole thing via BA website.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taboo wrote: »
    Really?? Standing in a pig pen for 10 hours without being allowed out to even use the toilet?? Yes sounds really fun:eek:

Tickets at this time of year are more like 650!

Also, Times Square sucks. Queues begin at around 2pm and then you're crammed into midtown and stuck there watching lame entertainment until midnight. Dont forget its usually freezing there - temperatures around freezing point and lower... not a fun way to enjoy New Years in my opinion.

There are plenty of better, free things to do like the Central Park Midnight Run, watch the fireworks from Brooklyn Bridge as well as lots of bars and clubs. Its very busy, a lot of fun but very expensive to go over at this time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe have a short break in the UK or Europe? I've been to NYC twice and I'd never bother to go back.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sirpipe wrote: »
    Maybe have a short break in the UK or Europe? I've been to NYC twice and I'd never bother to go back.

But if OP has never been before, its worth seeing at least once. Any more than twice is maybe too much but it all depends on the person.
  • samcheesesamcheese Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll never find it that cheap over new year. There won't be much availability left, and what little there is will be very expensive. You're best booking early for scheduled flights.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sirpipe wrote: »

You wouldn't go back? I personally could quite happily live there, New York is my type of place. What made you go a second time then?
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    It is cheaper to go to Las Vegas for a week.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is cheaper to go to Las Vegas for a week.

I would also recommend Vegas. I've been twice, but we're going back next year for my mum's 50th, and having turned 21 in September, I cannot wait!