Knockout voice, funky albums - success to match? No.:mad:

People have to check out her 2009 album "Born Again" - stunning

Comments

• PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    Who??
  • tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    ^^ I think the previous post was a joke. If not, you may have seen her on the TV as she does a lot of TV work these days. She co-presented "What Not To Wear" for a while for example.

She is indeed one of the best singers the UK can boast about.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,863
    Forum Member
    tortfeasor wrote: »
    ^^ I think the previous post was a joke. If not, you may have seen her on the TV as she does a lot of TV work these days. She co-presented "What Not To Wear" for a while for example.

She is indeed one of the best singers the UK can boast about.

Thank you, my faith is restored. Been playing her on repeat tonight.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i get mica paris and beverly knight mixed up...i know shes a good singer and she has been going for years but i couldnt name one of her songs...i prefer jocelyn brown
    Forum Member
    mialicious wrote: »
    i get mica paris and beverly knight mixed up...i know shes a good singer and she has been going for years but i couldnt name one of her songs...i prefer jocelyn brown

I'd say her most famous song must surely be "My One Temptation."
    Forum Member
    mialicious wrote: »

My One Temptation - her first and biggest hit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrYDzl76Rpg
    Forum Member
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    Thank you, my faith is restored. Been playing her on repeat tonight.

That's good to hear!
    Forum Member
    tortfeasor wrote: »
    That's good to hear!

It was very good to hear:D
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    My One Temptation - her first and biggest hit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrYDzl76Rpg

oh yes i do remember this one:)...shes had a good career on the back of one song
    Forum Member
    "Breathless" is better than anything Rihanna has released in the last year - should be a hit as should the album "Born Again" (released Jan 2010)

Can only find a dance video with the song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSMMPaoXPLs&feature=related
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love 'My One Temptation' - surprised it never got to number one...
  • BramptonBrampton Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    I always find myself playing Breathe Life Into Me, think this was the follow up to My One Temptation. Breathe seemed to spend an eternity in the lower reaches of the chart but never became the big chart success it should have been. Like quite a few of Micas more recent tracks too.
  • BedlemBedlem Posts: 2,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big fan of Soul/RnB/Neo Soul music, especially home grown acts. :) I do love her voice, it's fantastic, but 'Born Again' was an absolute sh*te album. Sorry. :(

Her versions of 'Summertime' and 'I Put A Spell on You' with David Gilmore/Jools Holland are amazing.

I think Mica paris, Beverley Knight, Annie Lennox, Alison Moyet & Dina Carrol are amongst the best female soul voices this country has produced. They all knock spots off more commercially acceptable acts such as Leona, Alexandra, Winehouse etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    Agree,along with jaki Graham.
    Love "like dreamers do" and "never knew love like this before":cool:
    Forum Member
    Bedlem wrote: »
    Big fan of Soul/RnB/Neo Soul music, especially home grown acts. :) I do love her voice, it's fantastic, but 'Born Again' was an absolute sh*te album. Sorry. :(

Her versions of 'Summertime' and 'I Put A Spell on You' with David Gilmore/Jools Holland are amazing.

I think Mica paris, Beverley Knight, Annie Lennox, Alison Moyet & Dina Carrol are amongst the best female soul voices this country has produced. They all knock spots off more commercially acceptable acts such as Leona, Alexandra, Winehouse etc.

Really?? I'm super impressed with Born Again - as soon as I heard it (which was on Saturday!)
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Breathe Life Into Me' was a gorgeous, stunning piece of music.
    She never did anything nearly as real as that afterwards that I can remember hearing.

A horrifically bland cover of 'Secret Lovers' with Alex O'Neal was where she lost me completely.

Very talented lady though.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved her first album, especially 'South Of The Border' & the track she did with Prince. Shes got a big personality for tv, but, in an ideal world, she should be playing to sold-out audiences all over the world. Loved the song Boy George wrote for her too! Shes a stunning looking woman. Ere, whats happen to Shola Ama too?!?! Got to say, most of the neo/nu soul acts that came after these two were one trick ponies, with the exception of Angie Stone!
    Forum Member
    mr muggles wrote: »
    Loved her first album, especially 'South Of The Border' & the track she did with Prince. Shes got a big personality for tv, but, in an ideal world, she should be playing to sold-out audiences all over the world. Loved the song Boy George wrote for her too! Shes a stunning looking woman. Ere, whats happen to Shola Ama too?!?! Got to say, most of the neo/nu soul acts that came after these two were one trick ponies, with the exception of Angie Stone!

*whispers* that was her 2nd album "Contribution" ;)

I disagree about the neo soul comment - Erykah Badu has released 5 brilliant albums since 1997's "Baduizm"....Lina has had hardly any success but I adore her 3 albums, also Jill Scott