Options

Unusual/remarkable episodes from TV shows.

LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,744
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm looking for peoples favourite examples of outstanding or unusual episodes from any series.

I remember when I used to work part time and caught afternoon tele (I know, I know:rolleyes:) and watched Doctors.

There was one episode about a man having a recurring dream that he was going to be run over by a lorry. He himself I think had killed someone in a hit and run and went to the doctors about it.

The doctor eventually got him to hand himself in at the police station and gave the man a lift there. As the man was crossing the road to confess what he'd done to the police he was run over by a lorry!

It was a surreal and intriguing episode of what was for me a somewhat mundane series.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (An obvious one) Blink for Doctor Who

The Newsroom "5/1" - A show not really loved but this episode dealt with the death of Osama Bin Laden and I thought it was done amazingly.
  • Options
    Mr JazzmanMr Jazzman Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M*A*S*H - an entire episode seen from the wounded soldiers point of view. Directed by Alan Alda I think.
  • Options
    TarotTarot Posts: 11,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Nikki and Paulo episode in Lost.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    The X-Files - Triangle
  • Options
    ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know the EE haters will disagree, but some of the early two hander eps were good.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liparus wrote: »
    I'm looking for peoples favourite examples of outstanding or unusual episodes from any series.

I remember when I used to work part time and caught afternoon tele (I know, I know:rolleyes:) and watched Doctors.

There was one episode about a man having a recurring dream that he was going to be run over by a lorry. He himself I think had killed someone in a hit and run and went to the doctors about it.

The doctor eventually got him to hand himself in at the police station and gave the man a lift there. As the man was crossing the road to confess what he'd done to the police he was run over by a lorry!

It was a surreal and intriguing episode of what was for me a somewhat mundane series.

Doctors do stuff like that all the time even die hard fans are bemused at some of them
  • Options
    EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buffy The Vampire Slayer - The Body.

Rightfully regarded as one of the finest hours of TV ever.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't one whole series of Dallas turn out to be a dream when they brought Bobby back ?
  • Options
    EllefEllef Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Didn't one whole series of Dallas turn out to be a dream when they brought Bobby back ?

It did indeed! Pam (Bobby's wife) woke up and Bobby was in the shower, and it had alllll beeeen a dreeeeam ...

There was also a wonderful scene after Barbara Bel Geddes (who played Miss Ellie) died when the character showed up played by a different actress and was greeted by the other characters without comment. It was a suspension of disbelief too far.
  • Options
    mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ER, 'Hell and High Water' and the episode Tarantino directed.
  • Options
    Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The musical episode of 'Oz'.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The episode of the Pink Panther where he speaks at the end.
  • Options
    piimapoikapiimapoika Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    There was an episode of Coupling done entirely in split screen. And one of Frasier with two different versions of the same story at the same time (it was a copy of Sliding Doors but still unusual in a tv sitcom).
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    An episode of Psychoville was an homage to Rope and it was setup like a play. It was all in one room with about 3 characters in the whole 30 minutes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the Dot/Ethel Euthanasia episode of EastEnders was an incredibly powerful piece of television. And EastEnders never ever really did an episode like that before or after which is a very great shame.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's a Canadian Sci-Fi comedy that I enjoyed called Todd and the Book of Pure Evil.

In one episode it was all done as a rock opera. It was one of the funniest things i've watched for quite some time.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    There's a Canadian Sci-Fi comedy that I enjoyed called Todd and the Book of Pure Evil.

In one episode it was all done as a rock opera. It was one of the funniest things i've watched for quite some time.

Loser!!!
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    M*A*S*H - an entire episode seen from the wounded soldiers point of view. Directed by Alan Alda I think.

Another unusual MASH episode had the ghost of a dead soldier wander around the camp. Only Klinger is able to see cos he has a fever. At the end of the episode the fever breaks and he can no longer see the ghost.

Right at the end the original ghost sees another ghost who tells him it's time to go or wtte and they both start to walk down a path along with ghosts from other armies
  • Options
    ilovenicnacsilovenicnacs Posts: 43,398
    Forum Member
    Mr Jazzman wrote: »

~That is adorable, weird but adorable.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Red Dwarf - Backwards
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    Buffy The Vampire Slayer - The Body.

Rightfully regarded as one of the finest hours of TV ever.

That episode was brilliant! Sarah Michelle Gellar was fantastic!
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Star Trek TNG "Yesterdays Enterprise" when an alternate timeline is accidentally created by an old starship falling through a rift in space/time. Dead crewmate Tasha Yar comes back to life whenthe timeline changes, then goes back in time with the old ship to put things right.

Two Pints of Lager.. "When Janet met Johnny" Shot as a stage musical and tells the story of ..well what it says in the title

Yes Minister - Party Games. Hour long episode where the PM resigns and Sir Humphrey engineers Jim Hacker into becoming the new PM.

The Thick of it - episode set in an enquiry into Government spin
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ellef wrote: »
    There was also a wonderful scene after Barbara Bel Geddes (who played Miss Ellie) died when the character showed up played by a different actress

This post reminds me of when the subject of Barbara Bel Geddes came up, for some reason, and the person I was talking to insisted that Barbara died whilst filming Dallas. I said I was sure that she'd only died a few years previously. It turns out that she had just retired back then and didn't die until 2005. I like being right!

Anyway, I'm going way off-topic. It's just that your post made me doubt my memory again!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    I found the Eastenders episode with just Pam St Clement's character and Barbara Windsors' character arguing with each other a bit boring and the fight part looked too fake.
    It was raved about at the time for being brilliant acting. :confused: