Is Kylie the only act to have had a top 5 hit in the last 4 decades?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awwww thanks :)

You are most welcome. :)
  • Nebworth90Nebworth90 Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Attia_Ash wrote: »
    The bottom line is Kylie has done EXTREMELY well in her own right. Her achievements are massive. She has everything going for her and so much to be proud of. She deserves all the success she has achieved. Let's not lower the tone and argue about this.

This is a time to celebrate and to look forward to a 2014 KYLIE filled year. If you're not a fan or don't like her, that's fair enough.

It's not going to spoil our positive happy moods as Kylie fans though.

Good times here we come.

AGREED!

As for the Kylie/Madonna arguments, they are both respected as Music Legends in their own right. Both have been hugely successful and both deserve recognition. Instead of comparing them, we should be backing and enjoying them both for as long as we still have them!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    I agree. You can't argue with the fact that Kylie has had a hugely successful career and still achieves No.1 albums and sells out massive tours. To have had No.1 albums in the 80's, 90's, 00's and 10's and Top 5 hits as well is highly impressive. 7 UK No.1's, including 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head' which sold well over a million copies in this country.

Everyone thought she was over in the late 90's and look what happened in the early 2000's, in 2001 / 2002 she was arguably one of the biggest pop stars in the world. I don't think she'll ever reach those sales again but definitely think she has a few more No.1 albums and hit singles in her. I'm looking forward to seeing her on The Voice, a judge with her experience and level of success can only be a positive thing. I, for one, am looking forward to Kylie in 2014!
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't CGYOOMY the most played radio single ever in Britain?
  • chrisqcchrisqc Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, is she the only female singer to have had 4 decades of top 10 hits?

No Cher did it 60,70 80 90 in the 00 she only hit the top 10 and missed out on 5 decades
  • jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris Mark wrote: »
    [/B]

Madonna has sold 17 million singles in the UK compared to Kylie's 10 million, she has 13 UK number one singles compared to Kylie's 7. She's also sold around 20 million albums in the UK. She's the fourth best-selling artist of all time in both total singles and albums sold. The Immaculate Collection was also the biggest selling album by a female artist until Adele's 21 overtook it. Madonna also has more top five hits than any other artist (if you don't count the re-releases after Elvis' death), she also has more top ten and twenty hits than any other female.

With MDNA she racked up her 12th UK number one album, more than any other solo artist. Kylie is way behind with 5 number one albums. During the 00s Madonna had 5 UK number one singles, Kylie had 3.

I understand that you prefer Kylie, but that doesn't mean that she's more popular in the UK than Madonna. The statistics prove otherwise.

Even if Madonna never has another UK number one single or even a top ten hit again Kylie won't ever get close to matching her overall sales or chart success, I do believe that Madonna's single sales are past their peak but Kylie is entering that stage too. It's a sad reflection of the ageist and sexist world we live in.[/QUOTE\

I'm talking uk success not worldwide. I understand Madonna's more successful worldwide but not here in the Uk!

She is more popular in the Uk than Madonna! Madge may have had more no.1s here and their but she hasn't sold as many singles/albums in the Uk alone as kylie since 2000 . Looking at facts Kylies albums go platinum but Madonna's only gold in the Uk. Even in Kylies pooper 80s days with Pete waterman Kylie was out selling Madonna 3 to 1. Even Pete waterman says in his Autobiography. The onky decade in this country were Madonna was more popular than Madge was the 90s, when Kylies popularity waned until 2000. Both artists careers are waning but Madonna's quicker in the UK than Kylies. Madonna hasn't had a top.10 hit this decade. Also Madonna seems to be copying kylie (when it once was kylie copying Madge. more so these days. That super bowl was a complete rip off Kylies last arena tour.

I don't mind the comparison between the two, and I do think that Kylie is very successful in her own right, especially in the UK, but THIS poster really embarressed all Kylie fans by stating inaccurate and laughable stats. I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to realise that Madonna is still more successful than Kylie in the UK, no matter what bullshit one tries to spin. That bit in bold...like seriously? What planet are you in?:confused:
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cher's had a top 10 hit in every decade from the 60s - 00s, she could of pulled it off if she performed the right song on TXF but there's still plenty of time for her
  • Nebworth90Nebworth90 Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Cher's had a top 10 hit in every decade from the 60s - 00s, she could of pulled it off if she performed the right song on TXF but there's still plenty of time for her

Thank you! Were they top 5 though?
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nebworth90 wrote: »
    Thank you! Were they top 5 though?

Yes, apart from the 00s though that song was like 6 or 7 but still impressive nonetheless, Believe which came out in 98 or 99 is the biggest selling song to date in the UK by a female singer! ie better selling than any hits of Madonna, Britney, Kylie, Gaga etc
  • 87Ben87Ben Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    Kylie needs a number 1 otherwise she'll be forgotten...

I don't think so Kylie has been going in the music business for years she may not have had many hits lately but that tends to happen look at artists like Britney and Christina they're not really making bit hits but they still sell and I think Kylie may not get a number one or she may but her albums will definitley sell.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,164
    Forum Member
    Cher did. I think.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,164
    Forum Member
    Kylie needs a number 1 otherwise she'll be forgotten...

Oh yes. All those decades of hits just wiped from people's memories. It's comments like this that gets me thinking we need *rolls eyes* back.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its incredibly foolish and naïve for anyone to suggest Madonna is over and wont have another top 5 hit. Its going to be difficult but not totally out of reach. Celine proved with the fact song you can chart high despite being over 40. Give Me All Your Lovin' would have charted top 10 had it not been discounted because of the album deal.

If there is one thing people should know about Madonna its to never write her off. She has had more comebacks than any of her contemporaries and there is nothing to suggest this won't happen again. When American Life bombed she regrouped and produced Confessions which is one of the biggest selling albums of her career and Hung Up is her 3rd most successful single to date. She is Madonna and above all else when she dies all her songs will double in sales for pure nostalgia.
  • Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kylie Minogue's last single was her least successful. Only reached 96.

http://chartarchive.org/r/51762

Madonna's last single also failed to make the top 40:

http://chartarchive.org/r/51236/

Reached 73.
    I think its incredibly foolish and naïve for anyone to suggest Madonna is over and wont have another top 5 hit. Its going to be difficult but not totally out of reach. Celine proved with the fact song you can chart high despite being over 40.

You can see how hard it is for older artists to have chart singles success. Times change! Teenagers aren't going to relate to artists like Madonna, Kylie and Cher.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member

I don't mind the comparison between the two, and I do think that Kylie is very successful in her own right, especially in the UK, but THIS poster really embarressed all Kylie fans by stating inaccurate and laughable stats. I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to realise that Madonna is still more successful than Kylie in the UK, no matter what bullshit one tries to spin. That bit in bold...like seriously? What planet are you in?:confused:

I know wiki is not the most reliable source for info (and I know all Madonna fans will use this excuse to prove my info incorrect but wiki does usually tend to be right) but wiki shows on Kylies album discography thst she has sold more albums in the Uk since 2000 mainly as her albums go platinum but Madonna's seem to have only gone gold since 2008 and sold far less thin kylie plus fever sold more than the most recent album thin Madonna's out at thst time. The only time they where the same was music by Madonna went platinum in 2000 the same as Kylies 2000 album since then Kylies sod way more! Look at Kylies albums in her cheesy pop 80s days they still sold more in the uk, so please tell me how are you right?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kylie_Minogue_albums_discography

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_albums_discography
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »

Reached 73.

You can see how hard it is for older artists to have chart singles success. Times change! Teenagers aren't going to relate to artists like Madonna, Kylie and Cher.

That wasn't Madonna's last single - that was Turn Up The Radio, which reached something like #173. Her poorest performer before that was I believe Revolver (from the Celebration Greatest Hits) which was also number 100-something. She also had a 100-something with 'Hey You' which I believe was download-only.

I love Madonna and I'm so sad her singles success has faltered laterally. I don't disagree with your point though. I'm under no illusion though that it's down to any mystery forces other than airplay/videoplay and the commerciality of being a late 40s/early 50s something female 'dance' music singer (Hey You aside, being an acoustic ballad but only ever released to tie in with Live Earth or whatever concert it was) - especially when you consider that the music style itself is not so different from anything riding high in the charts at the time. Most singles are bought by teens and of course they're not going to be interested - she's had her time. The time comes to all 'famous' acts that they just stop having hits, it doesn't stop them being famous or indeed 'successful' in broader musical terms. That's not to say 'flukes' can't happen, like someone touched on earlier with Cher and Believe - although again, in the download as opposed to physical single age I wonder if that would have been a different story today.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I know wiki is not the most reliable source for info (and I know all Madonna fans will use this excuse to prove my info incorrect but wiki does usually tend to be right) but wiki shows on Kylies album discography thst she has sold more albums in the Uk since 2000 mainly as her albums go platinum but Madonna's seem to have only gone gold since 2008 and sold far less thin kylie plus fever sold more than the most recent album thin Madonna's out at thst time. The only time they where the same was music by Madonna went platinum in 2000 the same as Kylies 2000 album since then Kylies sod way more! Look at Kylies albums in her cheesy pop 80s days they still sold more in the uk, so please tell me how are you right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_albums_discography
    I know platinum status changed but this seems well dodgy.

The links which should confirm whether all Kylie's albums since 2000 have indeed gone platinum don't go anywhere. Is there another source? I'm not doubtful about her early 00's stuff going platinum but I find it hard to believe both X and Aphrodite have sold over 1 million in the UK to go platinum and I'm pretty sure Body Language didn't. Very few albums even sell that much here.... Unless it can be proved somewhere else I think it looks like a Kylie fan has edited Wiki to make her sales look greater than they are.

Edit. It seems platinum status in the UK was downgraded to 300,000 for albums in 2009. That explains it. I lived in America for several years so get confused with the differences in sale measurements.

However it also confirms only one Madonna album, MDNA, hasn't gone platinum in the UK. All the others have. Hard Candy by rights is platinum under this new rule so should be classed as it.
    Forum Member

The links which should confirm whether all Kylie's albums since 2000 have indeed gone platinum don't go anywhere. Is there another source? I'm not doubtful about her early 00's stuff going platinum but I find it hard to believe both X and Aphrodite have sold over 1 million in the UK to go platinum and I'm pretty sure Body Language didn't. Very few albums even sell that much here.... Unless it can be proved somewhere else I think it looks like a Kylie fan has edited Wiki to make her sales look greater than they are.

Edit. It seems platinum status in the UK was downgraded to 300,000 for albums in 2009. That explains it.

I dunno why link not working here is again, her latest albums did go platinum apart from abbey road sessions went gold
    Forum Member

Edit. It seems platinum status in the UK was downgraded to 300,000 for albums in 2009. That explains it.

However it also confirms only one Madonna album, MDNA, hasn't gone platinum in the UK. All the others have.

I don't think madonna deserves her success success she's such a stuck up nasty bitch and seems to be one of the most hateful and most horrible woman in pop. She got such a me, me, me ego and doesn't care about her fans whatsoever. She lubes the money that's all, such a desperate attention seeking woman!!
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think madonna deserves her success success she's such a stuck up nasty bitch and seems to be one of the most hateful and most horrible woman in pop. She got such a me, me, me ego and doesn't care about her fans whatsoever. She lubes the money that's all, such a desperate attention seeking woman!!

oh dear, so do the kylie fans still want to act all innocent and pretend that other fan bases are instigating all the arguments now?;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So SO excited about tomorrow's video shoot. WHOOPPP!!

I was a little underwhelmed by the ATL video. I hope this one has more in terms of a story etc. Still, she's looking so gorgoeus I really hope there's a sneak peek of Kylie on sets.

Happy times..Happy thoughts people..:):)
  • jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This must be one of the most juvenile post I've ever come across on this forum. Stating dodgy stats are apparently not, now resorting to foul name calling. Another classy Kylie fan.:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't care for Madonna. However I don't feel the need to insult her either. As I don't care for her I focus on what and who I like. For that I'm sorry for the jibes towards Madonna and the insulting comments towards her.

I feel sorry for Kylie to be constantly compared to someone 10 years older than her. I'd hate being compared to a 36 year old all the time. There are going to be people whom dislike Kylie as one poster is constantly doing so on this topic often. Again that's absolutely fine as it's not going to make the slightest difference to anything or anyone's opinions.

Anyway, on a brighter note let's keep this topic positive and friendly. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back to the actual topic re Kylie's top 5 hits over the 80's/90's/00's/10's/. I've had to go on wiki so please correct me if I'm wrong.

So her TOP 5'S

80's
    I Should Be So Lucky 1
    Got To Be Certain 2
    The Locomotion 2
    Je Ne Sai Pas Porqoui? 2
    Especially For You 1
    Hand On Your Heart 1
    Wouldn't Change A Thing 2
    Never Too Late 4

90's
    Tears On My Pillow 1
    Better The Devil You Know 2
    Step Back In Time 4
    If You Were With Me Now 4
    Give Me Just A Little More Time 2
    Confide In Me 2

The 00's
    Spinning Around 1
    On A Night Like This 2
    Kids 2
    Cant Get You Outta My Head 1
    In Your Eyes 3
    Love At First Sight 2
    Slow 1
    Red Blooded Woman 5
    I Believe In You 2
    2 Hearts 4
    Wow 4

The 10's
    All The Lovers 3

I haven't included tracks like Shocked/What do I Have To Do/In My Arms etc and plenty of others that hit the top 10 but were not top 5.

If I've missed a track or got a chart position wrong please correct me. These positions were taken from Wikipedia.:):)

By the way. What Was "Keep On Pumping It" 1991????
  • 87Ben87Ben Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    Ray_Smith wrote: »

Reached 73.

That is true but these artists are legends and there is always fans out there that will buy there music. There singles may not sell as well but the albums will and their tours will sell. Cher's tour I reckon will be one of the highest grossing tours in 2014.