Is Kylie the only act to have had a top 5 hit in the last 4 decades?

Comments

• PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know platinum status changed but this seems well dodgy.

The links which should confirm whether all Kylie's albums since 2000 have indeed gone platinum don't go anywhere. Is there another source? I'm not doubtful about her early 00's stuff going platinum but I find it hard to believe both X and Aphrodite have sold over 1 million in the UK to go platinum and I'm pretty sure Body Language didn't. Very few albums even sell that much here.... Unless it can be proved somewhere else I think it looks like a Kylie fan has edited Wiki to make her sales look greater than they are.

Edit. It seems platinum status in the UK was downgraded to 300,000 for albums in 2009. That explains it. I lived in America for several years so get confused with the differences in sale measurements.

However it also confirms only one Madonna album, MDNA, hasn't gone platinum in the UK. All the others have. Hard Candy by rights is platinum under this new rule so should be classed as it.

Platinum in the UK has been 300,000 sales for at least a couple of decades. I remember as a teen in the 90's keeping an eye on the sales figures of Blur, Oasis and Pulp and noticing this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    87Ben wrote: »
    That is true but these artists are legends and there is always fans out there that will buy there music. There singles may not sell as well but the albums will and their tours will sell. Cher's tour I reckon will be one of the highest grossing tours in 2014.

Noo. That's such a shame. Oh well she's heading for a huge flop with this new project??:(:(:(

I was hoping she'd at-least enjoy a top 40 hit. What a shame it is to know your career is over in your mid 40's. It's sad she won't achieve a hit but it's nice she's still releasing music for the fans.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know platinum status changed but this seems well dodgy.

The links which should confirm whether all Kylie's albums since 2000 have indeed gone platinum don't go anywhere. Is there another source? I'm not doubtful about her early 00's stuff going platinum but I find it hard to believe both X and Aphrodite have sold over 1 million in the UK to go platinum and I'm pretty sure Body Language didn't. Very few albums even sell that much here.... Unless it can be proved somewhere else I think it looks like a Kylie fan has edited Wiki to make her sales look greater than they are.

Edit. It seems platinum status in the UK was downgraded to 300,000 for albums in 2009. That explains it. I lived in America for several years so get confused with the differences in sale measurements.

However it also confirms only one Madonna album, MDNA, hasn't gone platinum in the UK. All the others have. Hard Candy by rights is platinum under this new rule so should be classed as it.

Platinum is only 300k in the UK AND HAS ALWAYS BEEN! Check Blur/Oasis et al in the 90's or Kylie's first albums UK stats in 1988 for that matter!!:)
    X 460'000
    BL 370'000
    Aphrodite 320'000

Platinum is a million in the US and you'll find different in Germany/France etc.:)

Chart certificates for different countries are VERY easy to find online.:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_music_recording_certifications

There you go. HAPPY reading!:):):) LOL:)
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Longevity is a rare thing in music these days, especially pop music. Kylie certainly deserves credit for remaining popular over a quarter-century.

With the likes of Madonna (if we must compare) it was fairly evident that she had star potential right from the start. Kylie, however, was an actress in an Aussie soap and had a couple of hits for Stock, Aitken and Waterman in a cheesy format which was commonly dismissed as "disposable pop". While most SAW acts from the period (Rick Astley, Sonia, Mel and Kim etc.) fell by the wayside after a few years Kylie kept going, confounding most people's expectations. After a few years even the NME was singing her praises, which, while somewhat tongue in cheek, was at least an acknowledgement that she had transcended her status as simply a cheesy pop star and had developed into a serious contender for proper star status (helped in no small measure by duetting with fellow Aussie Nick Cave).

As others have pointed out, it's all the more remarkable for the fact that this is a female pop star, and women struggle as they get older in an industry obsessed with youth, beauty and image.

On top of that she has managed it all with a fairly limited singing voice - I'm sure she would be the first to admit that she doesn't have the gravitas of singers like Mariah, Whitney, Celine etc. so she has never really been credited with being a "serious" singer but has maintained her profile as a pop artist, something which few people, male or female, have achieved in recent decades (perhaps Robbie Williams is her nearest contemporary in that arena).
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    While most SAW acts from the period (Rick Astley, Sonia, Mel and Kim etc.) fell by the wayside after a few years Kylie kept going, confounding most people's expectations.

Whilst I agree that Kylie confounded her critics by having a long career it's a little unfair to say that Mel and Kim 'fell by the wayside'. Mel was very ill and had to put their pop career on hold whilst she got treatment. She died in early 1990. Its hard to say whether they would have had a long career or not (Kim did release a couple of solo singles later that year) but the fact their career ended abruptly couldn't be helped.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsM8NCucf54

Whether you like her or not - Kylie has achieved longevity in pop and that's something which shouldn't be disregarded. I'm excited to see what she comes up with in 2014!
  • tigraboitigraboi Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    I've been a Kylie fan since I was 15 when she hit big with I Should Be So Lucky and no one is more surprised than me at her longevity. She is one of the few stars these days that seems to enjoy an enduring goodwill from both the media and the general public. Whilst I agree that unless she gets radio support she wont have massive hits, what she has done amazingly in the 00s is proven herself as a vaue-for-money live touring act who can attract both casual fans of all ages as well as die-hards. She puts on brilliant stage shows and while no one would claim her to be a vocalist in the calibre of Celine Dion or Mariah Carey, she always puts 100% effort and a lot of pride into her live vocal performances and does not lip synch any part of her shows, and I really think audiences appreciate that - and of course this shows in the fact that her tours sell well and get generally positive reviews from the music press. You only have to look at acts like Madonna, Elton John, Cher, The Rolling Stones - none of them are having massive chart success these days but are all still out there playing to massive audiences (and making a lot more money in the process!)
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Attia_Ash wrote: »
    For that I'm sorry for the jibes towards Madonna and the insulting comments towards her.

i don't know why the fans need to that. i remember another fan referring her to as a "talentless old bint" and a "bloody ageing granny". i guess some people cant help but show their true colours, no matter how hard they try to assert a different stance entirely.
    There are going to be people whom dislike Kylie as one poster is constantly doing so on this topic often. Again that's absolutely fine as it's not going to make the slightest difference to anything or anyone's opinions.

while i find that rather frustrating when people do that, i have to agree, it will make no difference to the loyal fans. take that leona lewis example i previously used for instance. there were posters clearly trolling her threads quite recently, offering the same opinion over and over, one of them even admitted they hated the woman.:o obviously, you just cant reason with that immature mentality, its just unfortunate for them that these people are full of negativity.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    i don't know why the fans need to that. i remember another fan referring her to as a "talentless old bint" and a "bloody ageing granny". i guess some people cant help but show their true colours, no matter how hard they try to assert a different stance entirely.

while i find that rather frustrating when people do that, i have to agree, it will make no difference to the loyal fans. take that leona lewis example i previously used for instance. there were posters clearly trolling her threads quite recently, offering the same opinion over and over, one of them even admitted they hated the woman.:o obviously, you just cant reason with that immature mentality, its just unfortunate for them that these people are full of negativity.:(

Oh I know. Heartbreaking. Poor Leona fans...:(:(:(
    What's worse is that it's happening on this thread now too likewise so it's quiet strange how they're going around and preaching yet are doing the same themselves on this thread. Hypocrite much??:(:(:(!!

Not that it makes the slightest bit of difference to us fans. Annyyhoo, if it gives them a kick who are we to deny them this small pleasure. Carry on.. hehe:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I know. Heartbreaking. Poor Leona fans...:(:(:(
    What's worse is that it's happening on this thread now too likewise so it's quiet strange how they go around and preach:(:(:(!!

i don't see any preaching personally and i haven't seen that level of vileness coming from supposed kylie detractors here either.:confused: for my part at least, i was merely pointing out some hypocrisy as i see it. i agree with you though, its absolutely fine for people to post what they want, because any given fan base are unlikely to change their view point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OOhhh back to something more interesting and more to the topic.

I wonder how her video shoot is getting on. I'm surprised nothing has leaked.
  • Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't mind the comparison between the two, and I do think that Kylie is very successful in her own right, especially in the UK, but THIS poster really embarressed all Kylie fans by stating inaccurate and laughable stats. I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to realise that Madonna is still more successful than Kylie in the UK, no matter what bullshit one tries to spin. That bit in bold...like seriously? What planet are you in?:confused:

Exactly, if you're going to compare (which I don't see the point of) at least be accurate!
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    Kylie Minogue's last single was her least successful. Only reached 96.

http://chartarchive.org/r/51762

Madonna's last single also failed to make the top 40:

http://chartarchive.org/r/51236/

Reached 73.

You can see how hard it is for older artists to have chart singles success. Times change! Teenagers aren't going to relate to artists like Madonna, Kylie and Cher.

very true but Cher had a number 1 single in her early 50s. But you could argue that Believe was an exceptional track. Or that compared to the 90s our culture is even more ageist and that a woman in her 50s couldn't now achieve what Cher managed in 1998.
  • 87Ben87Ben Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    very true but Cher had a number 1 single in her early 50s. But you could argue that Believe was an exceptional track. Or that compared to the 90s our culture is even more ageist and that a woman in her 50s couldn't now achieve what Cher managed in 1998.

That is true I think Kylie and Madonna can surprise us still I even think Cher still could. I don't like how ageist music has become I am a fan of these artists always have and always will.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    Kylie Minogue's last single was her least successful. Only reached 96.

http://chartarchive.org/r/51762

Madonna's last single also failed to make the top 40:

http://chartarchive.org/r/51236/

Reached 73.

You can see how hard it is for older artists to have chart singles success. Times change! Teenagers aren't going to relate to artists like Madonna, Kylie and Cher.
    Kylie's last single was only a "fan" single, and was released with no advertising whatsoever except on her webpage. No money was thrown at it as would be with a normal single release, hence it only reaching #96. It was never meant to be anything as such and shouldn't really be considered as a "normal" single.

The last single releases really were from the #1 album "Aphrodite" in 2010... The wonderful orchestral album "Abbey Road Sessions" (even though it reached #2 in 2012) didn't release any singles as such at all.
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Back then though it wasn't just teens buying singles, you had the parents & grand parents since it was Cher, also it was the first song to use full auto tune & to feature no instruments, it was gound breaking at the time

Also why Madonna gets low sales now is not that it's down to shims but the fact that people are just sick of her, she was the biggest star in the music scene in the 80s following MJ then throughout the 90s & 00s making over hyped comebacks, 98, 00, 02, 05, 08, 10 and bloody 12 which flopped here

People are just sick of her coming back tbh ffs, Cher is really just too dated, Womans World could of been a hit here if she performed that as opposed to that other song which was too dated for Radio play on R1, Capital and hell even Heart

Kylie however I can still see her being appealing to the teens as she is a MILF and is capable of releasing something modern and it doing well, her on a typical Calvin Harris track would do well & Jay Z is writting her new album who I believe makes Rihanna's albums?

Kylie isn't fully dated yet she is still marketable if you get the right sound just like Britney who scored a no1 in early 2012 with will.i.am and a recent top 10 hit here with Work Bitch, which would of git a top 3 spot if was promoted here (she didn't perform the song here which impacted he chart placement, if on X a Factor it would of got to no1 prob.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Kylie however I can still see her being appealing to the teens as she is a MILF and is capable of releasing something modern and it doing well, her on a typical Calvin Harris track would do well & Jay Z is writting her new album who I believe makes Rihanna's albums?

Kylie isn't fully dated yet she is still marketable if you get the right sound just like Britney who scored a no1 in early 2012 with will.i.am and a recent top 10 hit here with Work Bitch, which would of git a top 3 spot if was promoted here (she didn't perform the song here which impacted he chart placement, if on X a Factor it would of got to no1 prob.)

its funny you should mention rihanna, because in her short career she has managed to outsell kylie in terms of single sales already in the uk.:o rihanna has been very current in recent years and naturally, many people have imitated her, but personally, i wouldn't want kylie to follow suit.:blush: i very much doubt that britney could have got to #1 with "work b**ch" though, as it was too similar to her previous smash with will.i.am, which got to #1 in 2013 btw.

i really don't think her supposed "milf" status will count for much if radio don't support her and like you observed with cher, kylie will also need support from all the major radio stations to succeed.
  • Nebworth90Nebworth90 Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OOhhh back to something more interesting and more to the topic.

I wonder how her video shoot is getting on. I'm surprised nothing has leaked.

Cannot wait to see it!!!!! :D nothing gets me more excited than a new kylie era lol!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    its funny you should mention rihanna, because in her short career she has managed to outsell kylie in terms of single sales already in the uk.:o rihanna has been very current in recent years and naturally, many people have imitated her, but personally, i wouldn't want kylie to follow suit.:blush: i very much doubt that britney could have got to #1 with "work b**ch" though, as it was too similar to her previous smash with will.i.am, which got to #1 in 2013 btw.

i really don't think her supposed "milf" status will count for much if radio don't support her and like you observed with cher, kylie will also need support from all the major radio stations to succeed.
    Radio 1 I can see them blacklisting her (ffs) but I'm sure Capital would play her if the music was "current", in the top 10 or if she was involved in a Calvin Harris/David Guetta type track, I mean they had Robbie Williams in their TV ad awhile ago meaning they still play him from time to time also meaning they aren't ageist and the likes of Heart will play her regardless
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Platinum is only 300k in the UK AND HAS ALWAYS BEEN! Check Blur/Oasis et al in the 90's or Kylie's first albums UK stats in 1988 for that matter!!:)
    X 460'000
    BL 370'000
    Aphrodite 320'000

It's a crime Body Language has only sold that many! It's an incredible album - one of her best.

I think the figures for both X and Aphrodite are fair though. X was a mess musically but does have a couple brilliant tracks, and Aphrodite was a mess in terms of promotion - I think that whole album was treat as a vehicle for her tour - which was stunning! Get Outta My Way should have performed much better though :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    Back then though it wasn't just teens buying singles, you had the parents & grand parents since it was Cher, also it was the first song to use full auto tune & to feature no instruments, it was gound breaking at the time

Also why Madonna gets low sales now is not that it's down to shims but the fact that people are just sick of her, she was the biggest star in the music scene in the 80s following MJ then throughout the 90s & 00s making over hyped comebacks, 98, 00, 02, 05, 08, 10 and bloody 12 which flopped here

People are just sick of her coming back tbh ffs, Cher is really just too dated, Womans World could of been a hit here if she performed that as opposed to that other song which was too dated for Radio play on R1, Capital and hell even Heart

I totally agree, theirs something still very marketable about Kylie. Theirs something about her that can still appeal to mums. My mums in her 50s and still likes kylie records and thinks she's stylish. That's the thing with kylie she can appeal to all ages and voice was probs a good career move as the mums sitting at home on a Saturday will tune to just to see how Kylies doing or see what dress she has on etc. That's the thing with kylie she's very likeable. Very at home being all sexy in hotpants appealing to young ppl on an MTV video and also can adapt and very at home as a guest on the one show or something or a new Saturday night star on BBC appealing to mums and dads.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree, theirs something still very marketable about Kylie. Theirs something about her that can still appeal to mums. My mums in her 50s and still likes kylie records and thinks she's stylish. That's the thing with kylie she can appeal to all ages and voice was probs a good career move as the mums sitting at home on a Saturday will tune to just to see how Kylies doing or see what dress she has on etc. That's the thing with kylie she's very likeable. Very at home being all sexy in hotpants appealing to young ppl on an MTV video and also can adapt and very at home as a guest on the one show or something or a new Saturday night star on BBC appealing to mums and dads.

Exactly, tbh a lot of teens will actually think Kylie's quite young since she looks much younger than her real age (she's the same age as my mum!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly, tbh a lot of teens will actually think Kylie's quite young since she looks much younger than her real age (she's the same age as my mum!)

Record company insiders have always said Kylie is great to market and PR prior an album release, solely because you can spread her everywhere and market her on all fronts. From people in their 20's to dad's in their 50's, from good Housekeeping to Vogue and Tatler, from music mags to the cover of men's magazines.

She is blessed to look so good. She's looking better than ever. She is very likeable and avoids controversies. I've always admired her for that. Show's she has class.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    Record company insiders have always said Kylie is great to market and PR prior an album release, solely because you can spread her everywhere and market her on all fronts. From people in their 20's to dad's in their 50's, from good Housekeeping to Vogue and Tatler, from music mags to the cover of men's magazines.

She is blessed to look so good. She's looking better than ever. She is very likeable and avoids controversies. I've always admired her for that. Show's she has class.

Agree totally, I like the fact too you don't see her in heat mag falling out of clubs or ever had a Britney meltdown ever. She seems a very class act, grounded and aware of who she is and how lucky she is.

Oh and another she never swears and if she does show off a little flesh in her vids it seems done with class and never over steps the mark.
  • CosyaCosya Posts: 4,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rjrh86 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsM8NCucf54

Whether you like her or not - Kylie has achieved longevity in pop and that's something which shouldn't be disregarded. I'm excited to see what she comes up with in 2014!

Absolutely amazing. You forget how much she has done!!