Options

Royal Mail's Local Collect Sevice

zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
Forum Member
✭✭
Has anyone used this ????

iiuc If I'm not in and parcel man arrives and leave "sorry we missed you" card, I can get them to take the parcel to a local post office, then for 75p pick it up.

My question is: how do they let you know it has arrived there ? cos if it is by phone then I'm screwed, if it is by email then :woot: and if it is "just give them a couple of days and it'll be there and you've got a week or so to pick it up" then that'd be perfect.

Comments

• Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's usually ready after 24 hours. Sometimes 48 hours later. It can be held for, I think, seven working days. I usually receive a notification through SMS, but I think there's an option to be notified through email.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I digitalspyed the question cos I get all flustered on the phone but did the calling thing anyway just to be sure and according to Nicola:

it will be there 1 working day after you ask for it to be taken there
    and you have 16 working days to collect.

So I guess you get your SMS messages cos they consider you a valuable customer :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An afterthought - the "sorry..." card says you've got (iirc) 14 days to pick it up from their depot before they return the package to sender. Does anyone know if I COULD wait, say, 12 days then request they take it to the local PO, then wait another 14 days before picking it up, or would those days I waited before the initial contact be taken away from the "will be at the local PO for" days ?
    I ask cos I'm thinking of eBaying a bunch of stuff and want to see if I can work it so I only need a single PO visit :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    An afterthought - the "sorry..." card says you've got (iirc) 14 days to pick it up from their depot before they return the package to sender. Does anyone know if I COULD wait, say, 12 days then request they take it to the local PO, then wait another 14 days before picking it up, or would those days I waited before the initial contact be taken away from the "will be at the local PO for" days ?
    I ask cos I'm thinking of eBaying a bunch of stuff and want to see if I can work it so I only need a single PO visit :)

That makes no sense at all. It has nothing to do with the local PO.

Why can't you just collect it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    That makes no sense at all. It has nothing to do with the local PO.
    the original card gives you 14/16 days to collect before they return it to sender, I think it is a valid question to ask if you have it sent to a PO does your "pick it up" time extend by 16 days or does it remain 16 days from when the initial card was dropped thru me letterbox.