Options

Golf 2015

Comments

• Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Ha no only for the Par 3 thankfully. That's only a mess about really before the real action starts Thurs

McIlroy seems more interested in being a celeb these days with these types of publicity seeking stunts than actually focusing on the huge task ahead. You wouldn't see Woods, Rafa or Roger doing this type of stuff before a major tournament.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all the hype that gets me, I only record the highlights and wizz through that.

I'd much rather play than watch golf. Fortunately, the weather in the last week has been great, I've managed to play three times in five days, there's even a bit of run on the ball.
    The greens are still recovering from the hollow tining, so putting is a bit of a lottery, but who cares? It beats watching the telly.
  • Options
    detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McIlroy seems more interested in being a celeb these days with these types of publicity seeking stunts than actually focusing on the huge task ahead. You wouldn't see Woods, Rafa or Roger doing this type of stuff before a major tournament.

It wasn't a publicity stunt. He met him last year and asked him if he fancied it.

Tiger's kids were caddying for him as well as putting for him at the last.

The par 3 comp is a fun event where it's always kids, partners and friends who do the caddying. Caroline caddied for Rory last year.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It wasn't a publicity stunt. He met him last year and asked him if he fancied it.

The par 3 comp is a fun event where it's always kids, partners and friends who do the caddying. Caroline caddied for Rory last year.

I'm sure it's a fun event but not right before a major which should be the main focus of your attention.
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member

Publicity stunt probably isn't the right word per se, but it's not as if they're best friends or anything I'm sure he has loads of non-famous/semi-famous mates who would have stepped in. No harm draw a bit of attention to yourself the night before a major, get more watching you, add to your followers etc.
    I'm sure it's a fun event but not right before a major which should be the main focus of your attention.

To be fair I do see your point, but I think golf is such a mental game that having a bit of fun the day before is no harm indeed to relax and unwind a bit
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is the done thing at Augusta though, just like the other little intricacies like the champions dinner, a nice piece of crystal for making an eagle etc.

Anyway, it's only 9 holes round a par 3 course, barely takes a couple of hours after lunchtime with their friends and families. A lot more relaxing than the awards ceremony McIlroy had to attend later in the day and the forced press commitments as well I imagine.

The Masters is totally different from the rest of the Majors, different from any other golf tournament really. If you don't conform to what the old boy's in the green jackets want then your invite for next year may just get lost in the post. :)
  • Options
    davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some good early scoring so it looks like they haven't made the course harder

Ian Poulter, Ricky Fowler and Rory going well

Edit. And Tiger !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty ominous for the rest that Spieth has shot under par for 14 consecutive rounds now, the longest streak on the tour at the moment.

The best chance for others is if he tries to protect his lead and tries to play par golf. If he goes out in the same mindset as the last two days then he'll probably go low again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tiger is tearing it up!!

C'mon BBC live coverage!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And we're live!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Tiger is tearing it up!!

C'mon BBC live coverage!!

Rory as well. Out in 32. If he has the same back 9 as he did yesterday he will equal the course record.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Very hole-able birdie for Mc now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mickelson and DJ on the charge. All we need is Speith to drop a few and this becomes epic!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jinxed Rory. Made a balls of that :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Birdie for Speith on the second. ominous
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Each to their own," but when they cut away for the, "How did you feel?" interviews with players, I'm muting the sound.
    I'm not that impressed with Cotter. They should give Ken Brown more commentary time, he's a natural to succeed Alliss, but I don't think he'll get the job.
    Mind you, by the time Alliss retires, I bet there won't be much golf left on the BBC.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ken Brown on the BBC still talking about Rory's Grand Slam claiming that if/when he wins it, it would make him the greatest British (and Irish) sportsman ever!
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    Ken Brown on the BBC still talking about Rory's Grand Slam claiming that if/when he wins it, it would make him the greatest British (and Irish) sportsman ever!

I like Ken but it's absolute nonsense, I lam intrigued how the grand slam has been downgraded to just winning them at some point in your career now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Each to their own," but when they cut away for the, "How did you feel?" interviews with players, I'm muting the sound.
    I'm not that impressed with Cotter. They should give Ken Brown more commentary time, he's a natural to succeed Alliss, but I don't think he'll get the job.
    Mind you, by the time Alliss retires, I bet there won't be much golf left on the BBC.

There will be two days a year left
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much the end of any slim chance for dustin Johnston and tiger woods
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew Cotter is my favourite commentator after Alliss. He has a quick, dry sense of humour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just don't think this masters is going to take off unfortunately most of the players tipped to put pressure on speith haven't been holing putts today.

Because it's the masters you expect something to happen but think it might be a dull final day unfortunately
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    There will be two days a year left

Is that all?

"Why are they playing off the yellows?"

It'd be a really tough course if they played of the whites.
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Jordan now at 17 under
  • Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we are entering the back nine of the first major of the season and we are being fed glorious shots of Tiger Woods hitting a few shots on the range and chatting with his coach ... ffs who's idea was that.>:(