Comments

• Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    davethecue wrote: »
    will the unlikely become reality......

Pietersen secures IPL release

Pietersen, a four-time Ashes winner and England's highest run-scorer across all formats, announced on his own website that he will now "join a domestic county with the aim of earning a place in the England squad for the upcoming Ashes series".

That county looks certain to be Surrey - and that attempt to earn an Ashes place must include such a weight of early season runs that some very powerful figures in English cricket, all of them loath to countenance his return, will have to bow to the inevitability of the statistics before them. The whole shebang is likely to begin with a Division Two Championship fixture against Glamorgan in Cardiff on April 19.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/story/855211.html

If Pietersen was serious about wanting to impress, shouldn't he have joined a Division 1 county ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    If Pietersen was serious about wanting to impress, shouldn't he have joined a Division 1 county ?

It's a very good point and one which never seems to get mentioned . England rarely pick on 2nd division performances. Derbyshire's Mark Foottit took 88 wickets last season and didn't even get on a Lions tour .
  • Options
    tuxford10tuxford10 Posts: 81
    Forum Member

he has played for to other counties before who are know in the 1st divison:-

Hampshire: left with the reason being he lived in Chelsea and did not work geographically

Nottinghamshire: had a major fall out with them in 2003 and left in 2004.

so that rules out 2 of the 9 counties, if the reason for leaving Hampshire are genuine then that probably takes out Durham, Somerset, Warwickshire, Worcestershire, and Yorkshire, Sussex, just leaving Middlesex.

Remember he is only released from his IPL contract for the group stage, has not been released from his one for the Caribbean T20 tournament. so why would a 1st division team sign him when he can be brought back for the IPL, Picked for England, or of to the West indies. later in the year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wisden's cricketers of the year . No surprises .

Gary Ballance , Adam Lyth , Moeen Ali , Angelo Mathews and Jeetan Patel

Notts having a bit of a struggle against the Loughborough lads, and Billy Root finding it tough at this level
  • Options
    davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    County season starts today :)

but not for us - we're playing Yorkshire Universities)

Some good news for us tho':)

Lancashire have confirmed the signing of James Faulkner as one of their overseas players for this season, with the Australia allrounder to fill the gap left by Peter Siddle's Ashes involvement.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2015/content/current/story/859825.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    davethecue wrote: »
    County season starts today :)

but not for us - we're playing Yorkshire Universities)

Some good news for us tho':)

Lancashire have confirmed the signing of James Faulkner as one of their overseas players for this season, with the Australia allrounder to fill the gap left by Peter Siddle's Ashes involvement.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2015/content/current/story/859825.html

I would have thought Faulkner will be a better overseas player than Siddle, so a good bit of business.

Pieterson is batting for Surrey against Oxford, so let's not go overboard if he gets a double ton .

Typical Notts . I flick the score on , and it's 50-0 , ten minutes later we are 2 down, Hales run out for nought. Notts certainly have a strong line up on paper and Philander is a big plus for the team
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    I would have thought Faulkner will be a better overseas player than Siddle, so a good bit of business.

Pieterson is batting for Surrey against Oxford, so let's not go overboard if he gets a double ton .

Typical Notts . I flick the score on , and it's 50-0 , ten minutes later we are 2 down, Hales run out for nought. Notts certainly have a strong line up on paper and Philander is a big plus for the team

Surrey 122/5 with Burns,Ansari,Solanki,Davies and Roy all back in the hutch

KP 'holding things together' on 47*:)

The Taylor 'twins' are going well for your boys:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surrey 218/5 with KP 102*

Even though it's only a University game , looks like he is serious
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kp goes for 170 . Notts go from 180-2 to 186-6>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    tuxford10 wrote: »
    he has played for to other counties before who are know in the 1st divison:-

Hampshire: left with the reason being he lived in Chelsea and did not work geographically

Nottinghamshire: had a major fall out with them in 2003 and left in 2004.

so that rules out 2 of the 9 counties, if the reason for leaving Hampshire are genuine then that probably takes out Durham, Somerset, Warwickshire, Worcestershire, and Yorkshire, Sussex, just leaving Middlesex.

Remember he is only released from his IPL contract for the group stage, has not been released from his one for the Caribbean T20 tournament. so why would a 1st division team sign him when he can be brought back for the IPL, Picked for England, or of to the West indies. later in the year.

Where he lives is up to him but I still think that he should be trying to make an impression in division 1 rather than against divison 2 sides.

He had a good knock against the students today. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Collingwood and Onions bowl out Somerset.
  • Options
    alfamalealfamale Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where he lives is up to him but I still think that he should be trying to make an impression in division 1 rather than against divison 2 sides.

He had a good knock against the students today. :p

Absolutely he should. But perhaps it proves that although he gave up his IPL contract the ego still demands he's one of the highest paid county cricketers in the country, so presumably Surrey are the only county who can afford to employ him
  • Options
    James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alfamale wrote: »
    Absolutely he should. But perhaps it proves that although he gave up his IPL contract the ego still demands he's one of the highest paid county cricketers in the country, so presumably Surrey are the only county who can afford to employ him

Wrong

Instead, as he tries to push his way back into the England reckoning for this summer’s Ashes, the money he earns from Surrey will be sent to the Kevin Pietersen Foundation – set up to help under-privileged children achieve and prosper.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cricket/kevin-pietersen-thrilled-as-return-to-surrey-is-confirmed-paving-way-for-england-recall-10132532.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Collingwood and Onions bowl out Somerset.

Not often that Collingwood gets a Michelle, and Onions cannot have given up hope of an England recall.

The farcical nature of the University games continues. The first three Essex batsmen all scored a ton and then retired , and Derbyshire piled up 500 by tea
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not often Collingwood gets to bowl many overs.

His improvement as a bowler is more noticeable in limited overs cricket, where, not as captain he is becoming more a main bowler.
  • Options
    dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pujara gets a 6-ball duck on his Yorkshire debut
  • Options
    alfamalealfamale Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James1953 wrote: »
    Wrong

Instead, as he tries to push his way back into the England reckoning for this summer’s Ashes, the money he earns from Surrey will be sent to the Kevin Pietersen Foundation – set up to help under-privileged children achieve and prosper.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cricket/kevin-pietersen-thrilled-as-return-to-surrey-is-confirmed-paving-way-for-england-recall-10132532.html

Fair play to the bloke. But my original point still stands, however decent and generous he is with his salary from surrey i still think they are probably the only county who can afford him this late in the day. In no way meant as criticism of KP, but like any other sportsman i just don't think he would be playing for anything less than the very top county salary. Almost no sportsman would, especially when as sports industry salaries are paid on merit so your self-worth (of ability) & worth to a team is valued by money paid and KP knows his own value. Its got to be closer to Sanga, which i imagine is somewhere around £100k a year, and not that of a youngster just breaking into county cricket on far less. So smaller counties with total playing salary budget around £1M couldn't find extra money to sign KP so late in the day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alfamale wrote: »
    Fair play to the bloke. But my original point still stands, however decent and generous he is with his salary from surrey i still think they are probably the only county who can afford him this late in the day. In no way meant as criticism of KP, but like any other sportsman i just don't think he would be playing for anything less than the very top county salary. Almost no sportsman would, especially when as sports industry salaries are paid on merit so your self-worth (of ability) & worth to a team is valued by money paid and KP knows his own value. Its got to be closer to Sanga, which i imagine is somewhere around £100k a year, and not that of a youngster just breaking into county cricket on far less. So smaller counties with total playing salary budget around £1M couldn't find extra money to sign KP so late in the day.

All fair points , but I think I heard on one of the (millions of) radio progs discussing this that being in London was key for his other business interests and Lords wouldn't let him in:D
  • Options
    RidgiemanRidgieman Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have Sky announced yet what games they are televising this season yet? All I seem to find on their website are the Indian Premier League matches and the test series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aged 38 years and 322 days, Paul Collingwood is the oldest player to score a hundred and take five wickets in an innings in a Championship game since John Shepherd did so at the age of 39 for Gloucestershire against Warwickshire in 1983.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aged 38 years and 322 days, Paul Collingwood is the oldest player to score a hundred and take five wickets in an innings in a Championship game since John Shepherd did so at the age of 39 for Gloucestershire against Warwickshire in 1983.

Well done Colly

He should definitely be involved in the England set up somewhere. Too much knowledge and experience not to be utilised
  • Options
    Forum Member

Ah, the ageing John Shepherd. I used to work with his niece, and we still keep in touch. He always appeared much older than he was. Well done Colly.

A good day at the office for Notts though I suspect they will mess this one up

Billy Root got 4 wickets for Bradford. He needs a few runs before he goes back to Notts club cricket and scoring runs for fun. He has a contract for Notts this year, I hope he can get in the first team
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yorkshire crush Worcestershire by 10 wickets.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a great result for Yorkshire, and that's without so many stars
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Indeed a very good win for Yorkshire, though I think Worcs will be the whipping boys this year. Not sure if Saeed Ajmal is returning , but he is unlikely to be as effective if he isn't allowed to throw .

Notts have all day to bowl Middlesex out. Chris Read scored a very quick ton yesterday in marked contrast to Jos Buttler's struggles .