Temperature of house?

curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
Forum Member
✭✭
I bought a temperature/humidity meter its saying just now the temp is 15.4 oc and 64% humidity had a quick look online and read houses should be 18-20 degrees and 50% humidity, I dont feel cold just wondering what temperature you keep your house at? it was a cheap meter but had good reviews with people comparing it against expensive weather stations they have.

Comments

• HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curvybabes wrote: »
    I bought a temperature/humidity meter its saying just now the temp is 15.4 oc and 64% humidity had a quick look online and read houses should be 18-20 degrees and 50% humidity, I dont feel cold just wondering what temperature you keep your house at? it was a cheap meter but had good reviews with people comparing it against expensive weather stations they have.

My flat is bloody freezing, temp feels like -10 :cry:
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    20-21 degrees when sitting down in the evening .
    18 -19 during the day
  • spimfspimf Posts: 6,342
    Forum Member
    Our house is always between 18-21, nice and ambient :D if its a really cold night it might dip to around 17 but we always try and keep it hovering around 19. No idea what the humidity is but we get bad condensation in the bedrooms so I'm guessing quite high!
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My heating never goes above 18c and quite often I turn it down so it's only about 15c. It goes off completely at night when we're in bed. No idea about the humidity.
  • Charlie_the_catCharlie_the_cat Posts: 1,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spimf wrote: »
    Our house is always between 18-21, nice and ambient :D
    Got to love an ambient temperature, I've always said that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate anything under 25ºC, indoors or out.
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    25 :eek: must cost you a fortune in heating bills
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HaloJoe wrote: »
    My flat is bloody freezing, temp feels like -10 :cry:

Wrap up warm and fill the hot water bottle
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curvybabes wrote: »
    25 :eek: must cost you a fortune in heating bills

I think he lives in Brazil, so it's probably saving him money on the air conditioning more than anything else :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he lives in Brazil, so it's probably saving him money on the air conditioning more than anything else :D

Ahh I see lucky guy :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    uness it it minus 5 outside I don't have the heating on because i am not giving a penny to those theiving bastards at british gas.
  • this_is_methis_is_me Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just checked the thermometer and it says 22. I watching TV in a T shirt so it feels about right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been in England since the end of January - I don't know how you all manage.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    My heating never goes above 18c and quite often I turn it down so it's only about 15c. It goes off completely at night when we're in bed. No idea about the humidity.

Sounds like my home.....does your other half complain about the cold as well?

:D
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,854
    Forum Member
    Surely the correct temperature is one in which you feel comfortable. And can afford to run.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sounds like me put me heating on tonight and 18 was a bit warm for me, never have it on through the night unless its like -4 outside i,ll put it on for the kids and to protect the pipes ;) i,d still be snug under my duvet :p
    uness it it minus 5 outside I don't have the heating on because i am not giving a penny to those theiving bastards at british gas.

I've been in England since the end of January - I don't know how you all manage.

How long are you here for? This has been a mild winter for us .. you,ll need to buy some thermals and quickily next weekends to be baltic :eek:
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like my home.....does your other half complain about the cold as well?

No. Mine moans it's too hot!
  • PorkSausagePorkSausage Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Mine moans it's too hot!

Not saying ours is tuned up too high, but sometimes the nrighbours ask us to turn it down.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    20 during the day, 22 in the evenings, 18 overnight. , and |I leave the heating on all year round and let the thermostats do the job.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the heating set to 20 over night and turn it down to 18 during the day, Feels comfortable enough.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not expending calories on thermoregulation; ie keeping warm, is one reason why so many people in our society are obese.

I feel we should feel slightly cold in the same way we lift weights that are slightly too heavy to build muscle, or take exercise that makes us slightly breathless. The body is an organism that needs to be slightly challenged to remain in decent condition.

Old and chronically sick people are the exception not the rule regarding optimum environmental temperatures.
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,854
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    Not really - there are temperatures that are better than others for the human body. I think for elderly people the recommended minimum is 21.

So elderly people will set the temperature higher so they feel comfortable. Which is what I said.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    My lounge is pushing 25C at the moment with the sun coming in from the conservatory. Normally I keep it between 23 - 24C with a couple of trickle vents open. Humidity - no idea.
  • Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Oh goodness, this thread reminds me of Turkey & my MIL - I've never smoked but I cough like a really bad smoker ( no offence to smokers here btw) when I've been in her house for a few hours!:eek:
    My hubby ( who has accustomed over 32yrs to our weather) even finds the same problem - we really do feel bad to the point I won't visit in the evening (despite her being fine & only across the landing).
    They're terrified of the cold there - my lot come from the North too, not the touristic South. It's really unhealthy IMO. They won't go outside when it rains unless necessary or 'open windows/sleep with them open at night' is a real no!:eek:
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The temp in my house barely gets above 20 with all radiators on full whack. The other morning it was 14 degrees with all radiators on. I had to use my small electric heater to boost it up to 18. I have previously contacted my HA regarding the low temp and they've said that the radiators in the home should be adequate for a house that size.

I go through around £18 a week on gas alone with the radiators set on a timer, if I had the heating on constant it would probably be double that.

I can set my thermostat to 30 degrees and the rooms are barely pushing 18-20. Needless to say my house is **** and I'm looking to move.