Did being with Tom Cruise destroy Katie Holmes' career?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
Forum Member
I don;t think she is a bad actress and theres no mistaking she was beautiful.....did Tom Cruise's jumping on Oprah's couch and his general scientology ruin Katie Holmes' career? I can't help but see her in roles before she got with him and think....'Oh Katie, you had promise'

Comments

• Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Tom made Katies' career rather than destroy it. It was the dirty way she left him that, I think, destroyed her career.
    She was so cold and did it all behind his back.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, Katie didn't help herself by being around all that Scientology crazy lark. She might have damaged her career quite a bit. It's usual for actors/actresses to move onto something else after they've left a long running series. It makes you wonder if she was being put under pressure not to continue acting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he damaged her credibility as an actress yes. And she's not a bad actress at all.

I admire her now. She is striving to give Suri a more normal life. Good on her.
  • farscapefarscape Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember it being rumoured at the time that the producers of Batman Begins were pretty pissed off that a lot of the press for the movie was being overshadowed by the whole Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes thing.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julie68 wrote: »
    I think Tom made Katies' career rather than destroy it. It was the dirty way she left him that, I think, destroyed her career.
    She was so cold and did it all behind his back.

I don't blame her. That Scientology lark is crazily spooky! Katie was in Dawson's Creek for years before getting with Tom, so I'm not sure how he made her career.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Totally agree with Downtonfan.

But I watched an episode of Dawsons Creek recently, where she got mugged, and I thought......blimey, she is famous now for ALL the wrong reasons.

So I can't help but wonder
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who says it's over? (her career I mean)
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All she had to do prior to getting together with him was type 'Tom Cruise' into google. The end.
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Interesting question OP, I do think when she entered that 'contract' she made herself a bit of a laughing stock and lost a lot of credibility. Sad really, I wish somebody would give her a decent role so she could stop hawking that poor daughter around for papz shots:(
    Forum Member
    whatever54 wrote: »
    Interesting question OP, I do think when she entered that 'contract' she made herself a bit of a laughing stock and lost a lot of credibility. Sad really, I wish somebody would give her a decent role so she could stop hawking that poor daughter around for papz shots:(

Thank you. I think people forget she is a stupidly pretty lady and a good actress. I think she could have been just as big as Reese Witherspoon or Amy Adams......and yet shes tabloid rather than credit
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Thank you. I think people forget she is a stupidly pretty lady and a good actress. I think she could have been just as big as Reese Witherspoon or Amy Adams......and yet shes tabloid rather than credit

She is pretty, I'm not that familiar with her acting but obviously wouldn't have been cast in Batman if she was dia. These days though she is more famous for visiting pizza & ice cream parlours with little Cruise.....saying that I have not seen any articles recently about that nonsense, which is good:)
  • strictmachinestrictmachine Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicole Kidman really soared after splitting up with Cruise, I hope Katie can do whatever makes her happy.
    Forum Member
    I love the positive Katie feedback, she deserves to be massive. LOVE her.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I like Katie, and I'm really glad she managed to untangle herself from Terrible Tom and the CoS crap, but no, she's no Amy Adams. She's a reasonable enough actress but has little range, something that was made clear in her Broadway performances. But that's not meant as a criticism, just that she needs more than her looks to make her mark in film. She's got a couple of things on the go at the minute, smallish films, not leads I don't think, but at least she's working and getting back into the swing of things. But yeah, Cruise is a creativity killer imo and the only good thing she got out of that particular fiasco was Suri.
  • strictmachinestrictmachine Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One really excellent performance in an indie film could really change things for her I think.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She should have reprised her role in The Dark Knight. Maggie Gyllenhal was alright but it didn't have a strong enough impact because she simply wasn't the Rachel from the first film. She, supposedly, turned it down as opposed to Christopher Nolan not wanting her back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One really excellent performance in an indie film could really change things for her I think.

Yes, indie I think is her best option, or a tv role in a quality show maybe? She's got a very good agent so I reckon her best bet is to forget about leads and focus on character roles to rebuild her career, if film is what she's committed to although I'm sure I read somewhere that theatre/musicals is where her real interests lie...
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Katie Holmes is a good actress .. But I think she stepped away from it film roles because he wanted her by his side .. Now she is free of him I hope her career picks up again and she gets a higher profile for being an actress and not Tom Cruises ex wife
  • Willow33Willow33 Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When did they split up?
  • NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don;t think she is a bad actress and theres no mistaking she was beautiful.....did Tom Cruise's jumping on Oprah's couch and his general scientology ruin Katie Holmes' career? I can't help but see her in roles before she got with him and think....'Oh Katie, you had promise'
    Katie Holmes has nobody to blame but herself. She willingly became Cruise Wife number 3 knowing all about the batshittery and the scientology, which wasn't as obvious as when he was with Nicole. She ensured a massive payout by having Suri. The money she got for the divorce worked out at an excellent hourly rate that even the highest of high class hookers would have been envious of.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    She, supposedly, turned it down as opposed to Christopher Nolan not wanting her back.
    She apparently turned it down due to schedule conflict with filming Mad Money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NotaTypo wrote: »
    Katie Holmes has nobody to blame but herself. She willingly became Cruise Wife number 3 knowing all about the batshittery and the scientology, which wasn't as obvious as when he was with Nicole. She ensured a massive payout by having Suri. The money she got for the divorce worked out at an excellent hourly rate that even the highest of high class hookers would have been envious of.

Not much to argue with there, Nota. The only thing I'd say in her defence is that she really couldn't have anticipated the reality of control-freak Cruise and the CoS before she lived it. And I do think she well and truly paid the price for that. She used look so awful and down-trodden when she was with him. Even her posture is different since they split.
  • Ivy RoseIvy Rose Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    She's gorgeous and I love her style. I also like how the years have fallen from her face since ditching Tom...he aged her terribly, it was awful.

That said though I do think she pimps Suri out to the paps too much. I've never understood why she doesn't get an order to make them censor Suri's face like other celebrities do with their kids. So I don't like that about her, but I do think she's alright overall.
  • Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did being with Tom Cruise destroy Katie Holmes' career?

Damaged it a bit but not destroyed...IMO
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her career was in the doldrums when she got together with TC. It actually gave her profile a boost. She was never that talented though, I always thought Michelle Williams was the better actress in Dawson's Creek. Katie was the DC producers pet so got shoved down our throats until it killed the show.