Celebrity Squares UK - New for 2014

ilovewhoilovewho Posts: 19
Forum Member
Fresh from the 1970's, ITV are resurrecting Celebrity Squares in 2014. A good idea or just dire re-invention?

After the jovial Bob Monkhouse, who would you like to host it?

Comments

• mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    ilovewho wrote: »
    Fresh from the 1970's, ITV are resurrecting Celebrity Squares in 2014. A good idea or just dire re-invention?

Its Warwick Davies. He was on This Morning saying he was going to present the new series. SHould be fun.
    Whos in the boxes though..Joey Essex in the middle(nonsense answers), Lesley Joseph (yawn), Olly Murs, z list celebs galore to choose from!
  • BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ilovewho wrote: »

Isnt it Warwick Davis hosting the series ? I'll give him a go as hes witty enough. I bet theres a load of reality types going to fill the squares...the new concept of celebrity.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Comedians Tim Vine and Joe Wilkinson have signed up to be regular "celebs"

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a574202/celebrity-squares-tim-vine-joe-wilkinson-become-resident-celebrities.html#~oFH59vYfQ8SBYX

I remember that back in the original series Willie Rushton was in the centre square more often than not
  • ukpukp Posts: 480
    Forum Member
    I went to the recording of the first show yesterday and my god what can I say. three and a half hours of recording for what, 45 mins of broadcast tv including adverts!

Warwick was lovely but he is no gameshow host, having to read everything off an autocue, no adlibbing whatsoever, the only thing missing from the autocue was telling him to breathe. The funniest he was, was when he took the pee out of a contestant for not understanding the rules of noughts and crossses and then realised it was him that didn't understand the audience were laughing at him, not with him.

Every other line he had to practically redo because he had mucked it up, which I think it is is why it took so long.

and as for celebrity squares, hah, more like, who is daft enough to want to be on it and has a very tenuous link to being a celeb more like.

Louis walsh needs to sack his hair stylist because what the bloody hell he had perched on his head I'll never know but it had people talking for sure. his hair was like a thatched roof blowing away in the wind.

On tv the show will come across as super slick and a high end production but in real life it looked like it was drawn up in 5 mins. I go to loads and loads of tv shows every month and this one is super bad. even worse than the tim vine pilot I saw a few weeks ago and that was bad lol. (oh and tim vine was on the show yesterday and was brill)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    I was at a recording today, and like the post above, the recording lasted nearly 4 hours & most of it was due to Warwick not reading the autocue correctly & having to re-do every joke.

They have stretched the format out to last an hour (so it'll slot in Saturday night 9-10 I guess) Half the time is filled with endless & pointless banter between host & celebs, or just celebs & celebs (using the term celeb very loosely)

The set is covered in that gold glitter left over from the Through the Keyhole remake, making it look tacky, the squares remain as blue for X & pink for O. They don't keep the money score on the board during the rounds, instead giving you a total at the end of each round. One round is now celebrities giving a statement about themselves & contestant guessing if it's true or false, rather than being asked a question.

There are no cars to be won, instead a jackpot of £20k.

What ruined it I feel is the need to crack a scripted joke after every question/answer, or chat about it - just get on with the game itself - banter banter banter - the game dragged on & on. One thing with Bob Monkhouse was that he was fast, in both question asking, game playing & coming in with a quick quip where necessary - on this show everything is scripted, from Warwicks autocue'd jokes & banter, to the contestants answers (watch Russell Grant put his glasses on when asked a question to read back his response)

Also the "star in the mystery square" round is fixed - they pretend to show the viewers at home the star, but in reality just put it in during the game when one is chosen - they pretend that star has the prize hidden under their desk (to try & make out it was them all along) but the prize is put under the desk when they stop the camera & plant it there.

Warwick is a nice man, happy, friendly & funny but not for Celebrity Squares. Such a shme Bob Monkhouse is dead. I overheard a floorhard say to a security guard that they'll be there until 3am at the rate it was going! :D

They used the small studio at the back for this, with seating for just 230. It dragged so much they brought a box of harribo bags to throw out, however several walked out before the end.
  • samusek2samusek2 Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who were the celebrity guests at your taping, as the two of you went on different days?
    I'm just curious.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Its Warwick Davies. He was on This Morning saying he was going to present the new series. SHould be fun.
    Whos in the boxes though..Joey Essex in the middle(nonsense answers), Lesley Joseph (yawn), Olly Murs, z list celebs galore to choose from!

I like Wawrick Davies and Leslie Joseph, but the rest of those people? I won't be watching.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    samusek2 wrote: »
    Who were the celebrity guests at your taping, as the two of you went on different days?

I had Tim Vine, Rachel Riley from Countdown, Bruno Tonilloni, Vernon Kay in the centre, Linda Robson from Birds, Joe Wilkinson from 8/10 Cats, Russell Grant & two comedians I've never heard of & can't remember their names!
  • ukpukp Posts: 480
    Forum Member
    samusek2 wrote: »

At mine there was Tim Vine, Louie Walsh, Adam Hills, Jonathan Ross, Christine Bleakley, Joe Wilkinson, Jimi Mistri and 2 others I can't remember because I didn't know who they were at the time.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Grey Lady wrote: »
    I like Wawrick Davies and Leslie Joseph, but the rest of those people? I won't be watching.

I think they were just guesses?
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't suppose there's any chance that Rachels Riley's square had a see-through desk?
  • DanslinkDanslink Posts: 8,365
    Forum Member
    Carol Vorderman and Dame Edna Everage appearing at tonight's recording.
  • DanslinkDanslink Posts: 8,365
    Forum Member
    Roisin Conaty and Rufus Hound aswell.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've actually been wondering why this hasn't returned, given the uk's obsession with celebrity......

If it's itv doing this, I assume simon cowell will be center square....

Now maybe someone will think about re-tooling blankety blank as a panel show....
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,547
    Forum Member
    Ozcabs wrote: »
    I had Tim Vine, Rachel Riley from Countdown, Bruno Tonilloni, Vernon Kay in the centre, Linda Robson from Birds, Joe Wilkinson from 8/10 Cats, Russell Grant & two comedians I've never heard of & can't remember their names!
    ukp wrote: »
    At mine there was Tim Vine, Louie Walsh, Adam Hills, Jonathan Ross, Christine Bleakley, Joe Wilkinson, Jimi Mistri and 2 others I can't remember because I didn't know who they were at the time.
    Danslink wrote: »
    Roisin Conaty and Rufus Hound aswell.
    Danslink wrote: »
    Carol Vorderman and Dame Edna Everage appearing at tonight's recording.

If they are the guests I will not be watching even tho I like Dame Edna.

Is this what tv has come to :(
  • samusek2samusek2 Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK As I have no life :D, here is what I have found out so far about the panels for each Celebrity Squares I know it may seem a bit underwhelming to a few.:

1. Jonathan Ross, Adam Hills, Jimi Mistry, Louis Walsh, Christine Bleakley, Louise Hazell, Ellie Taylor
    2. Linda Robson, Rachel Riley, Katherine Ryan, Vernon Kay, Bruno Tonioli, Nathan Caton, Russell Grant
    3. Bradley Walsh, Sam Bailey, Eamonn Holmes and Ruth Langsford, Nitin Ganatra, Aisling Bea, Alex Brooker and 1 Unknown
    4. Carol Vorderman, Ashleigh and Pudsey, Lucy Pargeter, Roisin Conaty, Rufus Hound, Patrick Monahan and Dame Edna.
    5. Ashley Roberts, David Haye, Stewart Francis, Reece Shearsmith and 3 Unknowns
    6. Keith Lemon, Freddie Flintoff, Antony Cotton, Rob Beckett, Hal Cruttenden, Denise Lewis and three Loose Women
    7. Catherine Tyldesley, Mick Miller, Tom Rosenthal, James Corden and 3 Unknown.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will there be the obvious short jokes from Warwick that viewers can be insulted by on his behalf ?