Options

Somerset DAB

Comments

• Options
    Hybrid telliesHybrid tellies Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »

Seems strange that Muxco are requesting a change of frequency from 10D to 10B. Block 10D is totally clear in this area at the moment whilst Block 10B is used by Oxford for their local DAB multiplex.
    I am only to aware of how much coverage overlap there can be between Oxford and Mendip on both VHF and UHF. Even during the slightest weather lift conditions I can receive BBC R Oxford on 95,20Mhz very clearly. A few years back whilst driving through Somerset I was tuned to Orchard FM on 102.60 when it would often be swamped out by the then local station from Oxford on the same frequency.
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems strange that Muxco are requesting a change of frequency from 10D to 10B. Block 10D is totally clear in this area at the moment whilst Block 10B is used by Oxford for their local DAB multiplex.
    I am only to aware of how much coverage overlap there can be between Oxford and Mendip on both VHF and UHF. Even during the slightest weather lift conditions I can receive BBC R Oxford on 95,20Mhz very clearly. A few years back whilst driving through Somerset I was tuned to Orchard FM on 102.60 when it would often be swamped out by the then local station from Oxford on the same frequency.

It's to allow the expanded Wiltshire mux to change to 10D (the current 12D is unsuitable for an expansion to Salisbury & East Wiltshire because this frequency is used for the Reading & North Hampshire mux).

10B is unavailable for Wiltshire because of its proximity to Oxfordshire so they have done a swap with Somerset.
  • Options
    Mr PringleMr Pringle Posts: 6,469
    Forum Member
    The details are in the D2 licence advert, last two pages http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/radio/digital/nationalradio/advert.pdf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks that explains everything. I have suspected that block 11A was being reserved for D2
  • Options
    Rob_OnlineRob_Online Posts: 2,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, however the Muxco website has been updated with a list of stations at launch in September -

Heart
    Capital
    Smooth
    BBC Somerset

So, out of all of those, from what I'm able to receive, the only real addition is BBC Somerset, all the others (Although different regions) are available on the South Wales mux which is strong across Somerset as it's broadcast from Mendip as well.
  • Options
    andy.saundersandy.saunders Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit disappointed in the list, hopefully the other stations will give us more choice than we have now.
  • Options
    -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    Rob_Online wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, however the Muxco website has been updated with a list of stations at launch in September -

Heart
    Capital
    Smooth
    BBC Somerset

So, out of all of those, from what I'm able to receive, the only real addition is BBC Somerset, all the others (Although different regions) are available on the South Wales mux which is strong across Somerset as it's broadcast from Mendip as well.

Triple Media want to launch a digital station on there, so I've read.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look forward finding out more
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No sign of any test transmissions yet and have checked both 10B and 10D. That's a very inspiring station list with just Somerset Sound being the digital newbie. I hope with such a few stations they can be more generous with the bit rates.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope with such a few stations they can be more generous with the bit rates.

Ha !

Judging by Stoke's mux, that's unlikely

http://www.wohnort.org/DAB/ukloc.html#Stoke
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those that live in South Wales, will this cause any problems? (Although not official coverage) Possibly just for Capital, if it is named 'Capital' on the Somerset Mux then receivers in South Wales may choose this first?
  • Options
    DigMorrisDigMorris Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    I hope with such a few stations they can be more generous with the bit rates.
    Mark C wrote: »
    Ha !

I doubt it too. Bit rate is generally not dependent on how much capacity is available but on how much a station is willing to pay.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    Ha !

Hereford must be the most underused mux, it only has 3 stations (1x 128k, 2x 112k). At least they're all stereo though.

http://www.wohnort.org/DAB/ukloc.html#Hereford
  • Options
    gwrbristolgwrbristol Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So did anyone make a complaint about the Somerset Mux changing frequency? I think 31 August 14 was the end of the consultation?
  • Options
    gwrbristolgwrbristol Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -ajm- wrote: »
    Triple Media want to launch a digital station on there, so I've read.

We can add Triple Hits to that list now -sounds promising!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gwrbristol wrote: »
    So did anyone make a complaint about the Somerset Mux changing frequency? I think 31 August 14 was the end of the consultation?

I did point out that there may be a possible clash between Mendip and Oxford especially during tropo lifts. I can remember whilst driving through parts of Somerset listening to Orchard FM on 102.6 when it would be swamped out by, I think it was Fox, from the Oxford mast also on 102.6. So they may be having a rethink about using 10B
  • Options
    DigMorrisDigMorris Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    Wohnort reports that it has been approved.
    September 6th
    The UK regulator Ofcom has approved MuxCo's request to change the frequency of the forthcoming local ensemble for Somerset from Block 10D to Block 10B.
  • Options
    WestwardTelecomWestwardTelecom Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    The Test transmissions have started, with recorded announcements on four channels. One mono and three stereo.

I can pick it up here in the Cullompton area, no crackle even though I'm outside the intended area.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that, great reception in Hutton
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are the test transmissions still in progress? Have re-scanned by nothing showing here
  • Options
    WestwardTelecomWestwardTelecom Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Still running now, as I write.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd! Assuming this test is coming from all of the launch transmitters, including Mendip
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing near Bridgwater
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing near Bridgwater

Same location as myself, perhaps nothing from Mendip?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe, I'm near Hutton