Options

24hr news channels covering celebrity deaths

1235»

Comments

• Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Indeed, if you were to be watching the BBC News channel at around 14:25 this afternoon, you would have seen a piece about Lauren Bacall, explaining and demonstrating why she was regarded as such an icon of the silver screen (so no excuse to remain ignorant of the facts there)

I have to admit to being a bit tongue-in-cheek when I pleaded ignorance and I did recognise her after I clicked on the headline, I'd just momentarily forgotten her name. Yeah she was good but it was a long time ago and I stand by my general point, I think there's too much celebrity news that creeps into the main news.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    I have to admit to being a bit tongue-in-cheek when I pleaded ignorance and I did recognise her after I clicked on the headline, I'd just momentarily forgotten her name. Yeah she was good but it was a long time ago and I stand by my general point, I think there's too much celebrity news that creeps into the main news.
    Yes, it was a long time ago, that's why her death was not the main headline (as someone questioned earlier), and that's why there has been less coverage and why the story has been much lower down the schedule.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    You should have put "American" celebrity death.

I probably should've done :blush:
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    Yes, it was a long time ago, that's why her death was not the main headline (as someone questioned earlier), and that's why there has been less coverage and why the story has been much lower down the schedule.

Well, as it happens, the BBC1 6 o'clock news got it exactly right, pretty well as I previously suggested, in fact. They reported her death and reviewed her career at the end of the bulletin, between a football report about a tablet ban, and the weather forecast.

Credit where credit is due, well done BBC1 News.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    These are continuing stories with developments...
    Not so much from the little I've seen of the headlines.
    Grouty wrote: »
    Must be a really slow news day today, BBC ticker has BREAKING NEWS: DAVID CAMERON RETURNS FROM HOLIDAY!

Jesus ******* christ!
    and the rest of the BBC ticker message that you left off was:

TO CHAIR A CRISIS MEETING ON IRAQ

Whilst the start of the News ticker message was

DOWNING ST: (to indicate that it was a statement from Downing Street rather than just a news item)

So the full ticker message is

BREAKING NEWS:: DOWNING ST: DAVID CAMERON RETURNS FROM HOLIDAY TO CHAIR A CRISIS MEETING ON IRAQ

Which gives an entirely different meaning really , especially in the context of recent events in Iraq, recent calls for greater involvement, calls for the recall of Parliament and criticisms that the top men in Government were all away on holiday at this time.
    Serious question to Grouty. Why did you mis-represent the story so badly?