Options

Three 4G Rollout | Free 4G for ALL!

Comments

• Options
    jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three could have a fairly good network if they do things well but they don't have the frequency capacity of other networks so might not have the huge speeds that other networks such as EE, sadly I think three are putting a bit too much faith in there 3G, though it's fast and has been the best for many years, it is now with 4g here, old tech. Despite its good speeds it not as good capacity wise, not as effective in low signal situations and even if it has higher speeds then 4g in most situations will seem slower due to the latency vs 4g,...
    Threes 3G network has been / is great, but people want and expect 4g now, even those who don't even know what it is and the truth is three are doing a rubbish job so far at getting it out to the masses..
    On another note: any reason why if three ever get any 800mhz spectrum going live that they couldn't use the orange 2g backup for calls, it still seems to be live everywhere I check when I do a phone scan, just my phone seems to avoid it unless it been out if 3G signal range for over 5 minutes..
    Surely a combination of that and the three in touch app over 4g could work until 4g voice is perfected..
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    I don't consider DC-HSDPA to be "old tech". Considering that both LTE and DC-HSDPA are both 3G technologies, I don't agree.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    jaffboy151 wrote: »
    Three could have a fairly good network if they do things well but they don't have the frequency capacity of other networks so might not have the huge speeds that other networks such as EE, sadly I think three are putting a bit too much faith in there 3G, though it's fast and has been the best for many years, it is now with 4g here, old tech. Despite its good speeds it not as good capacity wise, not as effective in low signal situations and even if it has higher speeds then 4g in most situations will seem slower due to the latency vs 4g,...
    Threes 3G network has been / is great, but people want and expect 4g now, even those who don't even know what it is and the truth is three are doing a rubbish job so far at getting it out to the masses..
    On another note: any reason why if three ever get any 800mhz spectrum going live that they couldn't use the orange 2g backup for calls, it still seems to be live everywhere I check when I do a phone scan, just my phone seems to avoid it unless it been out if 3G signal range for over 5 minutes..
    Surely a combination of that and the three in touch app over 4g could work until 4g voice is perfected..

Three's roll out is only in cities/towns and areas with high congestion etc...
    When 800Mhz starts rolling out it'll fill in all the gaps. Three are aiming for 98% coverage on 800Mhz by the end of 2015.
  • Options
    Sphinxy1Sphinxy1 Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Three's roll out is only in cities/towns and areas with high congestion etc...
    When 800Mhz starts rolling out it'll fill in all the gaps. Three are aiming for 98% coverage on 800Mhz by the end of 2015.

When Three roll out their 800Mhz it'll be amazing. I've just tested O2 4G and it clocks in at 25mbs. Very impressive.
  • Options
    Ben_FisherBen_Fisher Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three have less than half the amount of customers as EE.
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    Gigabit wrote: »
    I don't consider DC-HSDPA to be "old tech". Considering that both LTE and DC-HSDPA are both 3G technologies, I don't agree.

It's great in terms of speed, but in terms of capacity for connected devices per cell, it's old school. Approx 1000 sessions on an HSPA/DCHSPA site, or 4000 sessions on LTE. this is why LTE feels more responsive and you don't get the random pauses.
  • Options
    jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sphinxy1 wrote: »
    When Three roll out their 800Mhz it'll be amazing. I've just tested O2 4G and it clocks in at 25mbs. Very impressive.

I will prepare to be amazed! I just worry how long I will be preparing ;-)
    Meanwhile EE is almost everywhere at some strength and VOD/ O2 are on the fringe areas with lots of planning info strapped to many of there street masts in the area..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are three under these days for planning permission?

I've searched Telecoms, three, Hutchison etc. Where I live (a city) they haven't had planning permission since 2006.

I cant see any at a town near me which has recently had some 4G too.
  • Options
    ChrysalisChrysalis Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    Good to see you're getting usable speeds on EE. In my area the 3G speeds reduced when 4g was enabled last year, but in the last month the 4G has improved in speeds and the 3G users have said things have sped up again. Three 3G is similar to yours, overloaded I assume. Victim of their unlimited usage success. The three 4g is in one place only.

O2 and voda will arrive with 4g before upgrading 3G if this area is anything to go by.

yeah I want to switch to EE now as they also have decent coverage.
  • Options
    SkieSkie Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Ben_Fisher wrote: »

Try hunting around on roadworks.org and set the period to 12 months.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    It's great in terms of speed, but in terms of capacity for connected devices per cell, it's old school. Approx 1000 sessions on an HSPA/DCHSPA site, or 4000 sessions on LTE. this is why LTE feels more responsive and you don't get the random pauses.

Just as many people are still using GSM, which launched in the UK back in 1991, I think 3G has quite a bit of life left in it - and DC-HSPA is probably as far as we'll see 3G developed here. I might be wrong and someone will try MC-HSPA but it seems unlikely.

Speeds of anywhere between 5 and 30Mbps are going to be more than satisfactory for mobile users for some considerable time. If you aren't seeking to tether, then even if you go from someone who used mobile data to check Facebook, to someone that becomes addicted to Netflix/Sky Go/iPlayer/4OD etc - or streaming Spotify etc on the move, you'll be just fine.

As has been said for many times. Three users, generally speaking, enjoy good 3G speeds. They'll benefit from the reduced latency and improved upload speeds on 4G, but can easily 'make do' for now.

The same can pretty much be said for Orange and T-Mobile users who can't get 4G, but benefit from the improved 3G service that has been happening over the last couple of years.

It's O2 and Vodafone users that can't wait for 4G and the resulting 3G improvements, who are more likely to be stuck on GSM or a ridiculously slow 3G connection that isn't HSPA let alone DC-HSPA.

In the future years, once 4G coverage is all about the same, it will be capacity, speed and price that all play parts in deciding who 'wins'. EE has the capacity and speed, but will it have the best pricing?
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member

I've searched Telecoms, three, Hutchison etc. Where I live (a city) they haven't had planning permission since 2006.

I cant see any at a town near me which has recently had some 4G too.

MBNL...

For example:
    Plandocs
  • Options
    -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    there is working happening on 3rd September I believe at my home postcode according to the three coverage map, hopefully that means the masts closest to my house are going 4G.

9 September for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    MBNL...

For example:
    Plandocs

Hrm nothing under MBNL.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hrm nothing under MBNL.

Why not send your council planning section a request for information on any applications in the last 6/12 months by EE, Hutchison and MBNL?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not send your council planning section a request for information on any applications in the last 6/12 months by EE, Hutchison and MBNL?

Ahh I'm not that fussed, just interesting I can't find anything. !maybe it wasn't needed?
  • Options
    slattery69slattery69 Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    Having a family trip to London so going to test 4g , so far not impressed. In Stratford supposed to be great indoor and outdoor 4g and nothing so far still on 3g and getting very avg speeds.
    See what central London is like today
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    Central London will be excellent.

I got 75Mbps in Victoria the other day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigabit wrote: »
    Central London will be excellent.

I got 75Mbps in Victoria the other day.

Three is capped at 50mbps.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slattery69 wrote: »
    Having a family trip to London so going to test 4g , so far not impressed. In Stratford supposed to be great indoor and outdoor 4g and nothing so far still on 3g and getting very avg speeds.
    See what central London is like today

Stratford has 4G but possibly more outdoor coverage (certainly don't get much in Westfield shopping centre). Remember if you go on to 3G and use data, it won't change to 4G until you stop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At the London eye. Had an eye watering 1.5 down on 4g
  • Options
    Sphinxy1Sphinxy1 Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    800mhz 4G is still really fast! Can't believe it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Stratford has 4G but possibly more outdoor coverage (certainly don't get much in Westfield shopping centre). Remember if you go on to 3G and use data, it won't change to 4G until you stop.

Sadly none indoor or outdoor showing up. Got some finally at the London eye.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sphinxy1 wrote: »
    800mhz 4G is still really fast! Can't believe it!

Yes, O2 can manage tremendous 4G speeds!

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/940416921

Almost as fast as Three can do on a slow day with 3G ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, O2 can manage tremendous 4G speeds!

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/940416921

Almost as fast as Three can do on a slow day with 3G ;)

Oh come on, this boils down to the same thing, just 'cos it's slow/ poor coverage allover doesnt mean it is everywhere.

People ask me what network they should go for? IDK, check the coverage, buy a pay as you go sim. o2 might be awesome here, but naff at work etc.
This discussion has been closed.