Options

buying a vauxhall corsa "design"

ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Should be buying this car on a 58 plate on friday.1.4.

just wondered if anyone had any experience of this car ive never owned or driven a vauxhall.

So just wondered if they are ok..etc.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In other words its a Fiat Punto with a year 2000 Vauxhall engine.

Corsas of old (pre 06) used to go on and on, but not so sure with the current model. 1.4 petrol has been know to have problems, and if history is anything to go buy you wont get the claimed mpg. The one I had suffered from very light (too light) steering. Interior is good though, but didnt like the driving position of the current model, more like sitting on the car rather than in it. As with the last Corsa, quite a bit of space too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply david..

Im so confused with this purchase..lol... my current car is a renault megane cc..2004..i hate it...but to be fair i realised on monday when it passed its mot that since the previous one i have only driven 4 thousand miles.

So not sure why im worrying too much..the petrol isnt so much of an issues for that reason.

Have to be honest im being drawn on by the dashboard etc..i know..not a reason to buy a car..lol
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    In a former job I had, they used to give us Corsa's to drive. Over the time I was there I had three of them. All three let me down in some way. In actual fact the fleet was rejected and Nissan Micra's were brought in.

Not big problems, but annoying. One kept draining it's battery, another blew bulbs frequently, and one had a steering problem.

Every car has it's problems. No make is exempt. I just found Vauxhaul's a little unreliable (I have had Astra's too and they failed as well)

Even the so called bullet proof Nissan's make their dud's (as I have found out)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a former job I had, they used to give us Corsa's to drive. Over the time I was there I had three of them. All three let me down in some way. In actual fact the fleet was rejected and Nissan Micra's were brought in.

Not big problems, but annoying. One kept draining it's battery, another blew bulbs frequently, and one had a steering problem.

Every car has it's problems. No make is exempt. I just found Vauxhaul's a little unreliable (I have had Astra's too and they failed as well)

Even the so called bullet proof Nissan's make their dud's (as I have found out)

Thanks for the reply.

I have read some more reviews now and as you have said some problems..but it would seem that all makes models have some known issues...

So i think i have to bite the bulllet and just go for it..will make up my mind after a good nights sleep...lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    i have a corsa design, but it's a 55 plate. *touch wood* it's been very reliable, hasn't let me down yet....

in fact as a family we've tended to have vauxhalls - my brother in law has an ancient vauxhall which is still going at just under 200,000 miles!

think it's just pot luck to be honest!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a 51 corsa sxi until recently and it was good for its age, I have now got the new corsa sxi and I am also liking it however try and look for a brand new lower spec as you can get really good deals on them atm from about £6500 to £7000! Leaving you with full warranty
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Cf* wrote: »
    I had a 51 corsa sxi until recently and it was good for its age, I have now got the new corsa sxi and I am also liking it however try and look for a brand new lower spec as you can get really good deals on them atm from about £6500 to £7000! Leaving you with full warranty

Hello..thanks we did look into that but i only drive an automatic and so it would mean getting a higher spec and bigger engine so wouldnt infact be a cheaper option for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ppaupy wrote: »
    Hello..thanks we did look into that but i only drive an automatic and so it would mean getting a higher spec and bigger engine so wouldnt infact be a cheaper option for me.

Aw ok design is a really good spec anyway nice shiny black interior!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Cf* wrote: »
    Aw ok design is a really good spec anyway nice shiny black interior!

LOL yes thats what has sold it to me..im very shallow..:D
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply.

I have read some more reviews now and as you have said some problems..but it would seem that all makes models have some known issues...

So i think i have to bite the bulllet and just go for it..will make up my mind after a good nights sleep...lol

That's the right attitude to have. :) Every make has their issues. Also every relatively new car these days are on the whole generally reliable - so you can not lose. Vauxhall Corsa's from memory were quite sturdy little things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the right attitude to have. :) Every make has their issues. Also every relatively new car these days are on the whole generally reliable - so you can not lose. Vauxhall Corsa's from memory were quite sturdy little things.

Thanks..watch this space next week if im crying..lol

Im sure it will be fine.:D
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Corsas personally. Trading in my 52 plate on Friday for an 11 plate. :D

Not had any trouble with my 52 plate - only had it just over a year but it was my grans before that and she had no problems with it.
  • Options
    GageGage Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I drove the 1.4 automatic once when my mum had it as a courtesy car. Although a little underpowered, she managed to move once you gave her the full beans. I've owned the Corsa C which wasn't a bad thing. I believe the 1.4 are belt driven which have to be replaced every 40 or 60,000 miles to prevent it snapping and causing a huge bill, but i'm sure your many thousands of miles away before worrying about it. Also steering column failure is something of a concern as I belive they had a recent recall..

However I would never own another corsa, not because they are 'unreliable' but because I feel like i've grown out of them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Learnt to drive in one, but the two my instructor had over the time of me learning were Expression and SXI spec so can't really comment :) Really liked driving it, easy to park, pretty decent air con (came in handy on test day :p )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris.. wrote: »
    Learnt to drive in one, but the two my instructor had over the time of me learning were Expression and SXI spec so can't really comment :) Really liked driving it, easy to park, pretty decent air con (came in handy on test day :p )

Sounds good..

Well i have taken the plunge and bought it..collect her tomorrow...im so excited!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well she is now my car ..have driven her home and had a play etc..going out later so hope she is ok...
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I had a test drive in a 1.4 Design Corsa petrol, auto some years ago (previous shape). I nearly bought it, but went for the 1.2 SXI instead (it was a bit newer and had the facelift plus SXI trim). Strange how things work out, but the steering was so bad on the newer car, I should have bought the 1.4 auto which was slightly older in the first place.
    .........anyhows, the 1.4 petrol auto was fantastic in slow/stop-start traffic, very smooth (smoother than the Astra 1.8 auto i had more recently). But it was slow to get upto speed, I am not sure if they have improved the auto transmission on the newer model - the one I had a go in made a lot of noise while actual pick up of speed was slow. Maybe it didnt have a lockup in the transmission, The Astra I had did, and the power was instant to the wheels in that.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote: »
    I had a test drive in a 1.4 Design Corsa petrol, auto some years ago (previous shape). I nearly bought it, but went for the 1.2 SXI instead (it was a bit newer and had the facelift plus SXI trim). Strange how things work out, but the steering was so bad on the newer car, I should have bought the 1.4 auto which was slightly older in the first place.
    .........anyhows, the 1.4 petrol auto was fantastic in slow/stop-start traffic, very smooth (smoother than the Astra 1.8 auto i had more recently). But it was slow to get upto speed, I am not sure if they have improved the auto transmission on the newer model - the one I had a go in made a lot of noise while actual pick up of speed was slow. Maybe it didnt have a lockup in the transmission, The Astra I had did, and the power was instant to the wheels in that.

A few years ago I would have said never drive an auto below a 2.0I engine but small automatics have improved beyond recognition over recent years.