Do you need car advice?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 320
Forum Member
As there is no car advice forum here.Thought I would start one.

I am a trained mechanic working for over 10 years in the business and happy to answer any questions on here or via PM.

Thanks

Ray

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Useful to know. There is another FM waj 100 who is also a garage owner.

The more the merrier.
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you into car electrics as well ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    Yep unfortuantely most modern cars rely on it!! lol
  • CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the offer of advice.

I have often wondered why there is no separate "Car Advice" section given the number of car etc related requests for advice.

If well used, this would be a good candidate for a request to PIN the thread.
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray Jar80 wrote: »
    Yep unfortuantely most modern cars rely on it!! lol

Hmmm, tell me about it, I've just had to have my engine loom replaced a great cost due to sub-standard wiring being fitted during production in 1996.
    Great car though even if some do describe it as an ugly frog.
    My user name will give you a clue to the car I have.
  • Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Hi Ray - probably not quite your thing but if you have any advice it would be much appreciated :)

I have a 10yr old Merc CLK that i am looking to move on, it has small rust bubbles on all 4 arches, i have a mate who can sandblast the bubbles back to bare metal.

I was then thinking of getting one of the chips away type franchises to touch in / blend in the arches.

The colour is dark metallic blue - is it worth going down this route or am i better selling the car 'as is' do you think?
    Forum Member
    Hi Ray - probably not quite your thing but if you have any advice it would be much appreciated :)

I have a 10yr old Merc CLK that i am looking to move on, it has small rust bubbles on all 4 arches, i have a mate who can sandblast the bubbles back to bare metal.

I was then thinking of getting one of the chips away type franchises to touch in / blend in the arches.

The colour is dark metallic blue - is it worth going down this route or am i better selling the car 'as is' do you think?

Whats the stats for the car. eg mileage service history?.If its got low mileage etc might be worth spending a bit more to get a decent price or if you are going to part ex I wouldnt bother
    Forum Member
    Whats the stats for the car. eg mileage service history?.If its got low mileage etc might be worth spending a bit more to get a decent price or if you are going to part ex I wouldnt bother

100k, full history - looking around i think i would be lucky to get anymore than 2 - 2.5k for it private at the moment.

Its a 3.2V6 so with current petrol prices, it's not exactly a popular car and their not rare either so people can pick and choose which one's they want.. I didn't want to P/ex as i have another car but i might just see if i can out it to a dealer as is in PX for a MX5 or something, as come summer i think i would have an easier job selling the Mazda..
    Forum Member
    100k, full history - looking around i think i would be lucky to get anymore than 2 - 2.5k for it private at the moment.

Its a 3.2V6 so with current petrol prices, it's not exactly a popular car and their not rare either so people can pick and choose which one's they want.. I didn't want to P/ex as i have another car but i might just see if i can out it to a dealer as is in PX for a MX5 or something, as come summer i think i would have an easier job selling the Mazda..

Good mileage for the year.But I would say in current market dont spend the extra money just sell as it is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    Hi Ray,

I have a citroen xsara and for some reason yesterday the aircon decided to stick and now it is at full pelt. Luckily i can still turn the temp dial so its not constantly hot or cold but I cant turn down the power.

I think I may need to take it to a garage, but worth checking here first!!
    Forum Member
    Good mileage for the year.But I would say in current market dont spend the extra money just sell as it is.

I think you're right, problem is finding someone private who would buy it - i think i'll have to try the trade option..

cheers :)
    Forum Member
    I think you're right, problem is finding someone private who would buy it - i think i'll have to try the trade option..

cheers :)

Yeah probably best.Dealers are fighting over themselves to sell new cars at the mo because no one is buying.So they are doing silly deals and therefore people aren't tending to go down the 2nd hand road at the mo.So just try to get what you can!
    Forum Member
    sazza123 wrote: »
    Hi Ray,

I have a citroen xsara and for some reason yesterday the aircon decided to stick and now it is at full pelt. Luckily i can still turn the temp dial so its not constantly hot or cold but I cant turn down the power.

I think I may need to take it to a garage, but worth checking here first!!

Hi Sazza,

Sounds like a faulty fan.Probably fuse gone somewhere.Take it to garage shouldnt be an expensive one!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi just a quick question!

I have a corsa & in winter stupidly turned the rear wiper on to clear snow, after that it hasn't worked. I have changed the fuse and still no luck. When I spray the water etc that goes on however the wiper just doesn't move. I am thinking of selling the car soon however I am wondering if I would need to discount for a new wiper motor or something?

Thanks
    Forum Member
    *Cf* wrote: »
    Hi just a quick question!

I have a corsa & in winter stupidly turned the rear wiper on to clear snow, after that it hasn't worked. I have changed the fuse and still no luck. When I spray the water etc that goes on however the wiper just doesn't move. I am thinking of selling the car soon however I am wondering if I would need to discount for a new wiper motor or something?

Thanks

Yep defiently the motor it would of burnt out trying to lift the snow because it was too heavy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep defiently the motor it would of burnt out trying to lift the snow because it was too heavy.

Do you have any idea of how much that would cost roughly? 2007 corsa

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello, I have a '03 plate MG TF and the passenger window is broken. It willgo down when pressing the button however it will only come up a third of the way and then make a loud bussing noise, I have to pull the window up. Wil this be expensive to fix? Ta
    Forum Member
    Do you have any idea of how much that would cost roughly? 2007 corsa

aBOUT £40 quid for the motor then a bit of labour added on but its not a big job so shouldnt be more than about 80
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aBOUT £40 quid for the motor then a bit of labour added on but its not a big job so shouldnt be more than about 80

aww ok I read on google it could be about 300 pound for a motor :eek: thanks for your help
    Forum Member
    sareypoop wrote: »
    Hello, I have a '03 plate MG TF and the passenger window is broken. It willgo down when pressing the button however it will only come up a third of the way and then make a loud bussing noise, I have to pull the window up. Wil this be expensive to fix? Ta

Hmmm depends what it is...sounds like it could be motor..which in itself isnt expensive but the door has to be taken apart which will cost in labour.
    Forum Member
    aww ok I read on google it could be about 300 pound for a motor :eek: thanks for your help

noooooo dont pay that!!...Even a BMW wiper motor wouldnt cost that!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm depends what it is...sounds like it could be motor..which in itself isnt expensive but the door has to be taken apart which will cost in labour.

Would it still be the motor if the window goes down though? We have had the door apart to see if it had come off its runners (I don't understand it, the other half did it all) and he says it all looks OK.
    Forum Member
    sareypoop wrote: »
    Would it still be the motor if the window goes down though? We have had the door apart to see if it had come off its runners (I don't understand it, the other half did it all) and he says it all looks OK.

Sounds like the motor is dying.It takes a lot more power to get the window up than down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, i'll have to take it to a Garage! Its been like that for about 6 months and Ive just not been using it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Ray,
    My OH has a M reg Peugout 306, his alarm doesn't seem to be working properly. It comes on when he starts the car and he has to fiddle about locking the car and messing about with the switch on the steering column to get it to stop.

He bought it second hand and doesn't have the master key to switch the alarm system off under the bonnet.

Is there any other way of disabling the alarm system that isn't going to cost a fortune as the car is not worth much as it is!?

Thanks