Options

Track cycling only gets 10 golds, Swimming 52, Athletics Track 31. Justified?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
Forum Member
I've loved the Olympics. Great memories especially for GBP, of which I am one. However, I have been disappointed that the IOC and cycling governing body, UCI, only allowed 5 events for men and women when £73million was spent on the velodrome. Sceptics say it was down to the dominance of Team GB but I'm not sure. Some changes, such as one competitor per nation in individual events does seem to restrict powerful nations, such as Team GB at the moment, but that was down to the UCI not the IOC.

Swimming or Athletics have no problem with a more relaxed view on how many entrants from the same nation can be entered in the same event. 3 entrants per nation per event should be the minimum for all individual events regardless of sport unless there is some selection, performance or time restrictions that should take precedence.

The IOC did restrict the number of track cycling events and that seems to completely contradict their view of other sports. Even shooting and archery get loads of medals and hardly anyone watches them so popularity is'nt the answer. Anybody have any idea why track cycling is so poorly served? Time restrictions seem unlikely as the track events lasted only about 6 days with most taking place in the late afternoon and evening.

I'm sure someone knows the reason and I'd love to hear it.

Comments

• Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of people were complaining about there being too many swimming events, and I kind-of agree. It does seem a bit of a joke that there are more swimming events than track ones. There seems about the right number of cycling ones when you consider that there are a lot of non-track cycling events.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think those numbers are right for swimming. I think it has mid thirties gold medals to hand out. Where did you get the 52 figure?
  • Options
    kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about rowing?
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Volleyball, hockey, water polo, basketball and handball only have 2 golds.

We have got obsessed with track cycling because we do so well - most of the rest of the world is far more focused on these team sports, swimming and athletics.

Frankly I am amazed they have invented so many different ways of cycling round a track.
    :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »
    I don't think those numbers are right for swimming. I think it has mid thirties gold medals to hand out. Where did you get the 52 figure?

I read there were 42 different swimming races. Even so, if it is mid thirties that's still twenty more medals for swimming.

Apparently, I think it was Mark Cavendish said on the BBC the other night that there were only 10 events allowed int he cycling, which is why the UCI made it 5 apiece.

There is the theory that the rules were changed to avoid British dominance after Beijing, and most of the cycling pundits on the BBC agreed with that. If that's the case then the UCi has got it all wrong. They are basically punishing success. Can you imagine the furore if Michael Phelps had been told he wouldn't be able to defend his medals in 2012, or that the Americans and Jamaicans were only allowed to select 1 sprinter?

UCI have not come out of this Olympics very well.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you take cycling as a whole there are 10 Track, 4 Road, 2 BMX and 2 Mountain Bike gold medals

They used to have Team Time Trials on the road but that's gone..............I think that when they introduce BMX and Mountain Bikes they reduce other cycling events

It does seem ridiculous only to have 5 track cycling events for men and 5 for women, particularly when they get rid of what is considered the blue riband event - the individual pursuit
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Volleyball, hockey, water polo, basketball and handball only have 2 golds.

We have got obsessed with track cycling because we do so well - most of the rest of the world is far more focused on these team sports, swimming and athletics.

Frankly I am amazed they have invented so many different ways of cycling round a track.
    :D

Bit difficult to see what other events you could have in those team sports (you forgot football !)

I suppose you could have 5 a side football, beach soccer, kerby, keepy-uppy................:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Bit difficult to see what other events you could have in those team sports (you forgot football !)

I suppose you could have 5 a side football, beach soccer, kerby, keepy-uppy................:D

I would quite happily spend the next four years training for a place in the GB Olympic Kerby team!!
  • Options
    Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    Cycling should introduce a tandem bike race
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Teacake wrote: »

Love the idea.....:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mr Teacake wrote: »

They used to have tandem bike racing...........:D

The last time it was held was 1964 with Italy winning Gold
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That was interesting looking back to the 1964 cycling events

Today there are 18 cycling gold medals

Back in 1964 there were 7............all for men. There was no womens cycling at all

they had..........

Road race
    Team trial Trial (Road)

and 5 track events.......

Individual pursuit
    Team pursuit
    Sprint
    One kilometre time trial
    Tandem

GB got zero medals
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    Patiently copied and edited from Wikipedia. :D

Archery 4
    Athletics 47
    Badminton 5
    Basketball 2
    Boxing 13
    Canoeing 16
    Cycling 18
    Diving 8
    Equestrian 6
    Fencing 10
    Field hockey 2
    Football 2
    Gymnastics 18
    Handball 14
    Modern pentathlon 2
    Rowing 14
    Sailing 10
    Shooting 15
    Swimming 34
    Synchronized swimming 2
    Table tennis 4
    Taekwondo 8
    Tennis 5
    Triathlon 2
    Volleyball 4
    Water polo 2
    Weightlifting 15
    Wrestling 18
    Total events 302
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Summer_Olympics
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not an expert so it's difficult to say. I'm not sure swimming needs quite as many as 34 though.
  • Options
    hallstarhallstar Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »

Sure I have read that beach soccer is up for vote to be included in 2020.
  • Options
    Dare_AllanDare_Allan Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should revise swimming its long over due.

I'd have :-

50m Freestyle
    200m Freestyle
    800m Freestyle
    200m Medley
    4x100m Freestyle
    10k Open water

Men and Women, 6 events each, 12 medals in total. A much better use of Olympic time and 20 medals freed up for other sports
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    Patiently copied and edited from Wikipedia. :D

Archery 4
    Athletics 47
    Badminton 5
    Basketball 2
    Boxing 13
    Canoeing 16
    Cycling 18
    Diving 8
    Equestrian 6
    Fencing 10
    Field hockey 2
    Football 2
    Gymnastics 18
    Handball 14
    Modern pentathlon 2
    Rowing 14
    Sailing 10
    Shooting 15
    Swimming 34
    Synchronized swimming 2
    Table tennis 4
    Taekwondo 8
    Tennis 5
    Triathlon 2
    Volleyball 4
    Water polo 2
    Weightlifting 15
    Wrestling 18
    Total events 302
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Summer_Olympics
    You also have to take into account multiple events.
    In athletics the most you'd probably ever see would be 3 events.
    eg 100, 200, relay - 200,400, relay - 100, long jump, relay etc.

They were talking the other day that although Phelps may be known as the greatest swimmer of all time he may not be classed as the greatest olympian because of his ability to win multiple medals at a single games.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From 1956 to 1968 the number of swimming events more than doubled. Most were added in 1968.

The US won fewer medals than the Soviet Union in 1956, 1960 and 1964. They beat the Soviets in 1968, roughly half of the US medals were from the swimming events.

The Soviet Union were weak in the swimming events, the US strong. The US dominated the swimming in 1960, 1964 and 1968.

The Olympics were broadcast live in the US for the first time in 1960, they paid almost as much as the whole of Europe for the rights.. By 1968 they paid 6 times more for the TV rights.

Smells a bit fishy, but who knows.:confused:

That said they really should bring back the 200 metre obstacle event in the swimming.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swimming_at_the_1900_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Men%27s_200_metre_obstacle_event

But who cares, GB remain the undefeated Olympic cricket champions and have held the title for over a century.:D
  • Options
    PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dare_Allan wrote: »
    They should revise swimming its long over due.

I'd have :-

50m Freestyle
    200m Freestyle
    800m Freestyle
    200m Medley
    4x100m Freestyle
    10k Open water

Men and Women, 6 events each, 12 medals in total. A much better use of Olympic time and 20 medals freed up for other sports

Is there a limit? Removing events doesn't "free" up medals, if they add more events they just make more medals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a limit? Removing events doesn't "free" up medals, if they add more events they just make more medals.

According to the IOC they do not want to create more total events, any additional events will only be added by others being removed.
  • Options
    PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dare_Allan wrote: »
    According to the IOC they do not want to create more total events, any additional events will only be added by others being removed.

How does that work with them adding golf and stupid for 2016?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How does that work with them adding golf and stupid for 2016?

Those sports are replacing Baseball and Softball which were dropped after Athens. The IOC isn't the quickest organisation in the world, hence the 12 years to actually replace them.
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back to the OP's point about limiting the entries from one country to one (or two). I think this is poor as it reduces the true quality of the competition. If a sport's governing body (the UCI in this case) choses to restrict entries from one country, then it is saying that the Olympics are not an important competition as we do not want all of the best in the world, just a selection of them.

As noted above, imagine if athletics limited the 100m competition to one from each country. No Usain Bolt.
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back to the OP's point about limiting the entries from one country to one (or two). I think this is poor as it reduces the true quality of the competition. If a sport's governing body (the UCI in this case) choses to restrict entries from one country, then it is saying that the Olympics are not an important competition as we do not want all of the best in the world, just a selection of them.

As noted above, imagine if athletics limited the 100m competition to one from each country. No Usain Bolt.

And I forgot to say...

As a result of limiting countries to one entrant each, the olympics competition in that sport is no longer the pinnacle of that sport, there are plenty of other competitions which are of higher standard, because they have more of the best athletes competing. By going down the "one entrant per country" route, Olympic cycling risks becoming a second rate competition. Like Tennis, Golf, etc, the Olympic event is less important than the Majors
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    I don't think those numbers are right for swimming. I think it has mid thirties gold medals to hand out. Where did you get the 52

I stand corrected, it should be 35 golds if the 2 outdoor swims are included.

Cycling has 18 events, with 8 outdoors, though I didn't count them as they cost very little to put on whereas the track events required a melodrama. So why not make full use of it.

My point is I'd like to see more track events and more of the best cyclists competing against each other regardless of nationality across all internationally competed events. For some reason this didn't happen. I like to know why.