Spare my feelings and stop gushing about THE LAST OF US

Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have an XBox. It's insensitive. :cry:
Unless, of course, there's some tech geek out there who has figured out a way to play it on XBox. In that case PM me...

Comments

• Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last of Us is overrated claptrap! Hope that helps ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Worth buying a PS3 for along with the Uncharted, Infamous, Ratchet & Clank, Resistance, Killzone, Little Big Planet, & Motorstorm series.
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come to the right side :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come join us, we have better looking games and superior sound quality.

Just wait for PS Now and you will get to play a massive collection of PS games.
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Whilst it is good it's very overrated. Pretty run of the mill stuff if you ask me. I certainly wouldn't want to play it again.

So you're not missing out on much.
  • the ocelotthe ocelot Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    Don't you have any friends with a PS3?

I regularly lended mine to my 360 owning friends.
    Forum Member
    Whilst it is good it's very overrated. Pretty run of the mill stuff if you ask me.

It's pretty excellent. If you ask me.
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    the ocelot wrote: »
    It's pretty excellent. If you ask me.

Why the sarcasm? :confused:
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was really looking forward to playing this and when the PS3 500gb + TLOU + GT6 combo was up for £200 I snapped it up.

I'm about at about 35% and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. It looks fantastic but the gameplay isn't anything special. I'll complete it. It's not like it's total crap or uninteresting but so far it's so so.
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was really looking forward to playing this and when the PS3 500gb + TLOU + GT6 combo was up for £200 I snapped it up.

I'm about at about 35% and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. It looks fantastic but the gameplay isn't anything special. I'll complete it. It's not like it's total crap or uninteresting but so far it's so so.
    I think part of it depends on whether or not you can form an "emotional connection" to the characters. Also playing it on a harder difficulty helps.
  • Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree, the gameplay isn't special and I really don't understand the elevated level of praise it seems to get. I didn't find the story that interesting either.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    It's worth playing but I would agree that it is overrated. Don't worry, you're not missing out on too much really.
    Forum Member
    OP, make what you will of what the naysayers opinions, but you only have to look at Metacritic to get an idea of just how acclaimed TLoU is by the majority of gamers.

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/ps3?view=condensed&sort=desc

It's worth noting that TLoU has the highest user score (how gamers themselves rate the game, not critics) of any PS3 game.

Definitely play the game if you get a chance.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have it but got bored very quickly. Rather have a proper game than an interactive cut scene one.
    Even a beautiful looking simple control arcade game, without cut scenes. This game and LA Noir are lazy examples of style over substance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have it but got bored very quickly. Rather have a proper game than an interactive cut scene one.
    Even a beautiful looking simple control arcade game, without cut scenes. This game and LA Noir are lazy examples of style over substance.

You sure you played the right game? i don't remember that many cutscenes and i've been through it three times

Also LA noire was style over substance it was a good narrative driven game, just probably not the game people expected when they found out it was open world and had a rockstar logo
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    lol what? It's absolutely heaving with cut-scenes and story segments where you don't really do anything.
  • Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a lot of cutscenes but they're all relevant to story and character development in my opinion. The Last of Us is superb and I would say it's worthy of the praise it receives.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What the hell is a proper game in this day and age?

The Last of Us is a heavily story driven game with a focus on the character development throughout the story, if that is your type of thing then The Last of Us will be an awesome experience as the story unfolds. It actually managed to create an emotional connection with the characters for me which is quite a rare occurrence from a game.

If this is not your type of thing I can see why you are left underwhelmed by the experience and confused by the praise this game received as gameplay does slightly take a back seat to story telling.

Personally I have become a huge fan of these story driven games this generation. It was only a short while ago that I would skip most cut-scenes and ignore most of the stories in games to focus on mindless gameplay. But with games like The Last of Us, Max Payne 3, Uncharted, LA Noire, Red Dead Redemption and Heavy Rain story played a massive part in my enjoyment. Bioshock was a game saved by its story IMHO, without the great story that game is just a dumbed down System Shock 2. But the world they managed to create and the story that drove the game really elevated it for me.
    Forum Member
    Some generalising going on.

TLoU has 10+ hours of gameplay and its longest cut scenes are about 5 minutes max. Overall cut scene time after doing a YouTube search is about 90 minutes.

It probably has the best balance for a story driven game. The gameplay doesn't "take a back seat" at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Overrated? Pff...

An excellent, story-focused, single player game free of micro-transactions. If only more console games focused on this.

And even though multiplayer isn't my thing 95% of the time, it has a very good online mode.

Excellent game, one of the absolute best from the last gen.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah loved the game myself
  • MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There wasn't that many cut scenes. :confused: Personally I loved the characters chatter while I was creeping about the levels. "Sh*t, Joel!" :D
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    What the hell is a proper game in this day and age?

The Last of Us is a heavily story driven game with a focus on the character development throughout the story, if that is your type of thing then The Last of Us will be an awesome experience as the story unfolds. It actually managed to create an emotional connection with the characters for me which is quite a rare occurrence from a game.

If this is not your type of thing I can see why you are left underwhelmed by the experience and confused by the praise this game received as gameplay does slightly take a back seat to story telling.

Personally I have become a huge fan of these story driven games this generation. It was only a short while ago that I would skip most cut-scenes and ignore most of the stories in games to focus on mindless gameplay. But with games like The Last of Us, Max Payne 3, Uncharted, LA Noire, Red Dead Redemption and Heavy Rain story played a massive part in my enjoyment. Bioshock was a game saved by its story IMHO, without the great story that game is just a dumbed down System Shock 2. But the world they managed to create and the story that drove the game really elevated it for me.

Nailed it.

I was gonna make a point of my own, but I'd pretty much just be copying this post. In terms of storytelling, character development and relationships made in the game, this is absolutely awesome in every aspect.
  • Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a great game! It gets far too much praise, though. I found the Hunters worse than the actual Zombies, I think that says something about the Human race, either intentional or unintentional.

As for cut scenes, I found Tomb Raider worse for them (also a great game).

But at the end of the day it's personal opinion, only you can decide if you like it or not. I don't get why people get "uppity" about people who don't lavish the game with praise (and vice versa); we're all gamers here let's respect each other and celebrate the thing we all have in common, love of video games. <group hug>
  • RunawayGroomRunawayGroom Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i loved the characters and the writing. but really though, when you break it down some, its for the most part a very simplistic stealth game with bad ai