Options

Anyone starting to loathe the Carters?

Roo87Roo87 Posts: 109
Forum Member
I know this might be an unpopular opinion on here, but I'm starting to find the clan quite irritating. When they first came into the show, there were a breath of fresh air, I could barely miss an episode. Now, they seem to be growing in number and in virtually every episode. One episode the other week was entirely on the planning of Linda's party... where's my gritty, interesting soap gone?

With Mick, Shirley, Linda, Johnny, Nancy, Lee, Babe, Stan, Dean, Tosh, Tina and now Sylvie... that's 12 characters. I think that's about a quarter of the cast. The Brannings had about 10-11 at one point, and they really started to grate on me.

Mick is great, the swimming story is different, I just wish he stopped being so forgiving all the time. You tried to drown me? That's alright love. You're dealing drugs? Let me throw you a party! Linda's quite a good foil for Sharon, and Nancy I think has potential but is mainly used for comedic relief sadly. Johnny Sausage needs to cheer up a bit and Stan is a joy to watch. I was starting to like Shirley, but the Phil affair feels like they're backpedalling her character, and she'll be back to downing vodka on Arthur's Bench. Dean was interesting to watch when he reappeared, but he hasn't been given much chance to shine.

However Lee, paired with (sexiest female nominee?) Whitney is a snoozefest, and I couldn't care less for Tina and Tosh and their baby dramas... maybe they could borrow Bert or Ernie Moon for a while? (As baby swaps are so successful in the square) Aunt Babe I'm not sure of yet, but the Square is badly needing a villain so I'll give her a chance.

I don't hate them, I just find them overkill. But they're a massive improvement over the much loved Hartman family. Hopefully, the show will let us have some space from the family, as I feel other characters, like the Masoods, Lola and Jay are getting sidelined over the endless Carter stories.

Comments

• Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lee is fairly weak for me and not sexy at all.
  • Options
    jamesc_715jamesc_715 Posts: 8,505
    Forum Member
    I don't have a problem with them but they need to stop expanding the Carters. It does feel like the Carters are dominating EE too much but I don't think the family needs to be expanded. Tina, Lee, Dean and Aunt Babe aren't needed IMO. I like the rest of the Carters.
  • Options
    StevieRStevieR Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    I'm going off them too. You're not alone!

As you have already said, there are slightly too many and they are taking over. Mick and Linda should have just had one child, Johnny. Lee and Nancy are not required. Aunt Babe, although an interesting character, isn't really needed, her storylines could have been taken up by Mo Harris.

Tina and Tosh are OK but I think they should explore the domestic abuse story rather than the baby one.

Stan is good but he should have more scenes with Cora, Patrick and the Cokers, he would be better used away from the family.

I hope Sylvie is temporary just to fill the faps in their back story. 1-2 months at the most. A few weeks would be even better.

Don't think Dean really needed to return either.
  • Options
    abbottababbottab Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't loathe them, but like what the previous post said, there is too many of them. If the family expansion had happened over a period of years rather than weeks/months it wouldn't have been so overwhelming.

Does seem strange that Shirley was in it all those years and nothing of her family was ever mentioned. Just Carly and Dean(o), and Jimbo of course.

Now we have Stan, the dreadful Babe, annoying Tina, army lad Lee, gay sausage (sorry Jonny) wannabe hardman Mick, teabag through bag Linda, and Dean(o) Shirley's childish son and not forgetting football kit Nancy.

As I said, I don't loathe them, but a tad annoying because of the sheer scale of them.
  • Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't loathe them and I haven't grown tired of them...yet. What I do feel is that the cracks have begun to show. In other words it has become obvious who the cream of the crop are.

Long post to follow...

Mick - No fault of the actor but the character has been a bit of drip. I think Danny Dyer deserves better because the material so far has not served him particularly well. I don't love or hate Mick. Right now he's vanilla. He owes more than a tip of the hat to a certain DS hate figure named Alfie Moon if I'm being honest.

Linda - A complete success story in my opinion. Possibly my favourite new character in about a decade. A classic EastEnders landlady in the making. Linda, like Angie, Sharon, Pat, Peggy and Chrissie before her can mix camp humour with proper drama.

Johnny - I quite liked him until recently. I must admit I'm tired of all his whining and that miserable expression he sports every time he appears. He needs a kick up the backside storyline wise. The actor isn't the best and relies far too heavily on face pulling which he really overdoes. It would work if he wasn't such a miserable sod and lightened up.

Nancy - Completely and utterly underused. She just hangs around The Vic all day making wise cracks. Despite this she's got loads of potential and could be something special. She's very likable in my opinion.

Lee - I have no problem with the actor but I think Lee is sort of not needed. His first stint wasn't very well put together. He came and went and made no difference really. I couldn't have cared less if he returned. This time around I feel he's being dragged down by Whitney. She goes through this exact same storyline every year. I think they're struggling with what to do with Lee.

Tina - I despise her. She's the worst Carter and worst new character to be introduced in years. She and Tosh are mismatched, their storyline is dull and both characters are annoying and unlikable. The overgrown child act is not a good look for anyone. It won't happen any time soon but I think both characters should be culled. They drag the Carters and the show down by placing too much focus on them.

Stan - Amazing actor who brings to life a great old school type character with plenty of layers. He's usually the highlight of whatever scene he's in. Along with Linda he's my favourite addition to the show in recent years.

Aunt Babe - We were given conflicting descriptions of this character so it was hard to pin her down at first. Personally I think she's off her rocker and won't last beyond Christmas. I can't say I love or hate her. She's there for this Sylvie storyline and that's it as far as I can tell. I certainly wouldn't miss her.

Dean - We knew Dean before any of the Carters arrived. He would not have been top of my list of returning characters and I doubt we'd have seen him again if not for Shirley's continued presence. This time around I'm not really fussed about him either. I'm not crazy about characters who have chips on their shoulders even if he does have good reason. He just comes across as pathetic, arrogant and creepy. I think he's there to look bad so Shirley looks good and he won't last.

Shirley - DTC's favourite creation. Undoubtedly a good actress, I just cannot take to the character. I can tolerate her in small doses but I don't see her as leading lady material and I'd like to get through one episode without her being seen or mentioned. Enough is enough of this awful woman. I actually don't think her being Mick's mother is a good idea and will ruin the Carter family dynamic, sometihng she and Tina never really fit into. They work better without Shirley/Dean and Tina/Tosh in my opinion.

Lady Di - Love her. The true star of the show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm liking Linda a lot these days now they've massively toned her down. She was unbearable in the beginning. And Stan to, he's settled in well and it helps that's he's basically just a background character. Nancy and Mick are brilliant and have been since day one.

Johnny is awful. Lee is beyond shit, awful actor playing the same old boring ladies man crap we've seen and fail so many times before and I won't even begin on Tina except that I'm rooting for Tosh to give her a beating or ten. Detest her.

And Aunt Babe. I'm really struggling to see the point in her.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    StevieR wrote: »
    I'm going off them too. You're not alone!

As you have already said, there are slightly too many and they are taking over. Mick and Linda should have just had one child, Johnny. Lee and Nancy are not required. Aunt Babe, although an interesting character, isn't really needed, her storylines could have been taken up by Mo Harris.

Tina and Tosh are OK but I think they should explore the domestic abuse story rather than the baby one.

Stan is good but he should have more scenes with Cora, Patrick and the Cokers, he would be better used away from the family.

I hope Sylvie is temporary just to fill the faps in their back story. 1-2 months at the most. A few weeks would be even better.

Don't think Dean really needed to return either.

Sniggers childishly. :blush:

I do agree, they are expanding at an alarming rate. More hits than misses though.
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I liked Tina to begin with but now she just comes across as an overgrown child, she has featured in almost every story line from Aleks/Roxy, Billy, Carol..not to mention her own with Tosh, and Aunt Babe. Tina has had a LOT of screentime, almost too much. I'm not huge on Tosh but I think she has potential, Lee wasn't really needed tbh.

I love Shirley, she is a multi-layered, flawed character and I always find her interesting to watch. Linda Henry is one of the best actresses on the show and even when Shirley is revealing her worst, Linda H manages to make her sympathetic imo. I like her dry humour, sarcasm and I actually think she fits well into the Carter dynamic. Tim West and Linda Henry have really good onscreen chemistry. My only problem is when the writers keep putting Shirley in the gutter, she is so much better when she is off the booze and isn't bitter. I hope they move her character on from this behaviour. Shirley is definitely a leading lady contender.

I also like Mick, Aunt Babe and Stan. Tim W and Annette B are real coups for EastEnders and Danny Dyer has actually surprised me as Mick.

Linda is OK, just in small doses.

Ido like Dean but I'm not sure on this 'pity' act that he has going on and this Linda/Dean s/l is not appealing to me at all.

Overall I like most of them, mainly Shirley, Babe, Mick, Nancy and Stan and my least faves are still decent characters and by no means the worst in the show.

I'm also looking forward to the arrival of Sylvie.
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazing: Mick, Linda, Johnny, Nancy, Stan, Lady Di.

Have potential: Lee, Dean, Shirley, Aunt Babe.

No: Tina

No need to overthink it, really.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Mick can be dull but there is no doubt that he is the glue that holds this family together.

Linda...neurotic and shallow, but at times I quite like her.

Nancy...potentially the best of the kids but is so underused it's hard to be sure.

Johnny...the whiner. Never seems satisfied.

Lee...regular bloke who's got his head screwed on.

Shirley...the black sheep. She is the most interesting of them all. There is nothing lovable about her but I can't help gunning for her to earn her place at the heart of the family. Right now it feels like she's still on the outside looking in.

Tina should have been a backround character, it was a big mistake giving her so much air time.

Stan is a gem of a character, just love him.

Babe is just now coming into her own. She's been a slow burner but I'm loving her this week.

Sylvie is the missing part of the jigsaw, can't wait to meet her.
  • Options
    iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    They are starting to get shoved in our face a bit

And the touchy/feely/happy/clappy stuff is very weird/uncomfortable/cringeworthy to watch
  • Options
    cloudy80cloudy80 Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    tbh i still have not warmed yo them i start gettin migranes when i watch them apart from mick i absoultly loathe linda and lee also nance just a silly family imo>:(
  • Options
    abbottababbottab Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trouble is, if they do this family to death because 'we' as viewers like them so much, we'll get bored, switch off and then the axe falls on the weakest of the family.
  • Options
    sweetazkandisweetazkandi Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind any of them to be honest. Some I like more than others and some I wouldn't miss but they're not the worst! I wouldn't care if Babe, Dean and Tina went though. They all have a lot going on outside of their family which makes it's a lot better I think. Mick and Ian, Linda and Sharon, lee and Whitney . Just wish they'd do something with Nancy, terribly underused and my fave out of the 3 kids
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't loathe them but yes they are starting to grate on me now too. I'm not really sure what happened but I'm finding myself starting to dread episodes were they will feature heavily. I was bored stiff watching yet another one of their big Family meals this week.

If it was just Mick, Linda, Johnny, Nancy, Stan and Shirley I could take them but the inclusion of:

Lee - bad actor
    Tina - who really is getting on my nerves
    Tosh - unlikeable
    Dean - not needed at this point
    Babe - wtf is she all about? I don't even think the writers know. This whole 'we love Babe' thing is really leaving me baffled. However because its Annette Badland I am happy to overlook her faults.

is what is turning me off.

I'm actually dreading more of them coming in. Its bad enough now.

I tell you what else is annoying me. They have all been estranged for over a decade yet are now acting like the closest family that ever existed. Sorry but its all just bullshit! lol Their development hasn't been good at all which doesn't bode well for the future.
  • Options
    secretagentsecretagent Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have turned me off. I used to be a diehard fan, now I never tune in (did have the omnibus on in the background last night whilst I was doing somenting else.

The worst offender (in my opinion) is the Loathsome Linda. Her overracting, stupid faces that she pulls, screeching, sticking her nose in everywhere... I despise her character.

Dislike Tina, Tosh, Babe (such a cringy name), Dean desperately trying to pull off a badboy image, Whiney Johnny and I couldn't care less about Sylvie.

I don't mine Mick the drip, or Shirley, I've not seen much of Stan so can't comment, Nancy seems ok.
  • Options
    riannerianne Posts: 1,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dean is creeping me out at the moment and his whining about Shirley is getting boring now.

Nancy is definitely underused... I hope they can come up with a good storyline for her sometime soon.

Lee... does not really add anything to the show... I wanted more from the whole PTSD storyline. unless there is more to come...

As a whole, the family are a good addition to the show, but I do think there has been way too much of them too soon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They have turned me off. I used to be a diehard fan, now I never tune in (did have the omnibus on in the background last night whilst I was doing somenting else.

The worst offender (in my opinion) is the Loathsome Linda. Her overracting, stupid faces that she pulls, screeching, sticking her nose in everywhere... I despise her character.

Dislike Tina, Tosh, Babe (such a cringy name), Dean desperately trying to pull off a badboy image, Whiney Johnny and I couldn't care less about Sylvie.

I don't mine Mick the drip, or Linda, I've not seen much of Stan so can't comment, Nancy seems ok.

Just wondering, you said that Linda is loathsome at the top bit at the end you say you don't mind her? Lol :)
  • Options
    secretagentsecretagent Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ell_Ren wrote: »
    Just wondering, you said that Linda is loathsome at the top bit at the end you say you don't mind her? Lol :)

Whoops - I meant that I don't mind Shirley, silly me, well spotted Ell Ren:blush: I've changed it now.
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There does seem to be the arrival of Sylvie has put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Keep

Mick - the glue that binds them all together
    Linda - natural landlady been missing for quite a while
    Johnny - a lot more to come. The Ben business should be interesting
    Stan - strangely likeable Stan, plus his bad side should be fun
    Deano - seems to have worked. The reluctant part of the family

Get rid

Nancy - Too stage school.
    Lee - boring ladies man
    Tina - a forty year old dressing like a teenage
    Tosh - want to see some lesbo violence
    Aunt Babe - all piss and wind

At the bottom

lower

lower

lower

Shirley - the worst mother in Christendom. The show would get better if she was removed
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently even Beyonce wants a divorce. 😱
  • Options
    Teabag84Teabag84 Posts: 2,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't watch EE much anymore, but I read the spoilers and all I read recently is about another new carter. To the point I have no idea who is who anymore and how they are all related!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Whoops - I meant that I don't mind Shirley, silly me, well spotted Ell Ren:blush: I've changed it now.

Haha. Awesome, I just thought I'd ask. :)
  • Options
    ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I switched off back in January once I heard about 10 new Carter's coming in (11 in total with Shirley - and now it's up to 12 with this new one being introduced! :o)

I didn't like DTC's work beforehand, so 10 new Carter's was the last straw. Don't understand why they couldn't keep it at Shirley, Tina, Mick, Nancy, Johnny and Linda. Six is more than enough, and it was a nice set up. I'm sure he said in an interview that the Carter's wouldn't dominate; yet, they're all I ever read about when I'm looking at soap spoilers :confused:
  • Options
    patrick95patrick95 Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    EastEnders is a ensemble show- always has been and always should be. The Carter's have fitted in seamlessly into the show and they've got some real classic characters in the clan ....however, the huge amounts of screen time they've been given means they do run the risk of running out of steam too quickly.

MICK - he's abit of a vanilla character really BUT echoing what others have said, he is the glue that binds them all together and I think this week will allow both Mick and Danny Dyer to shine. As a standalone character I think he's been relegated to symphaetic husband/ father/ son too often over giving him more juicy material to flesh the character out.

LINDA- Adore her! Natural fit as landlady of the Vic and the actress is perfect at balancing both camp and dramatic material. Her storyline involving her gradual acceptance of. Johnny's sexuality has been on the highlights of the show this year. A true - and surprising- success story

LEE- I like Lee and I don't get the criticism that the actor comes under, but much like Mick he's not really been given an awful lot to do with himself. It doesn't help that he's be bogged down in this tedious will they-whit ney storyline, but I think he will grow in time when given his own material and I am looking forward to his reaction to the big Carter reveal- but sadly as it stands if he left tomorrow I wouldn't be overly traumatised.

NANCY- A real gem of a character and played by a cracking actress to boot! They really need to utilise her more and get her out of the pub. The scenes she shared with Tamwar at the beginning of the year were cute, but that friendship seems to have been forgotten. Give Maddy Hill something major to get to grips with in 2015 please!

JOHNNY- To be completely honest I feel as if Johnny has been riding on the coat tails of the coming out storyline for too long and needs to be given something more interesting to do over sitting at the bar looking sullen. He's a talented actor and was a real shining star at the beginning of the year but he's lost his spark abit since them. Hoping something big comes around the corner- a possible dangerous liaison romance storyline? - will reignite him again!

TINA & TOSH- Tina is possibly the most annoying character in the show yet seems to be shoehorned into every possible storyline and while she showed initial promise, Tosh has just become a misery to watch. These two would be high on my cull list, not that it's likely to happen any time soon( ...in Tina's case anyway)

SHIRLEY- There's no doubt that Linda Henry is a fine actress but the constant recycling of the same 'Shirl down on her luck and ingesting bleach on Arthur's bench' scene is getting boring. The attempt at pushing her as one of the leading faces of the show hasn't worked in my opinion, partly because-rather ironically- as a character I find her overshadowed by the likes Linda and Nancy. She'll be outstanding in the Mick reveal scenes I'm sure but I just can't warm to her as a character,

DEAN(0) - Going to go against popular opinion of here and say I've enjoyed Dean's return. I think the dark side to him is quite refreshing and realistic to watch. I'm not sure how long he will be around for- I suppose that depends on how far TPTB which to take his bad side- but at the moment I'm enjoying him. Drop the self pity act and I'd say he's probably one of the strongest male characters in the show.

AUNT BABE- Didn't really know what to make of her considering she was introduced to us as his fluffy 'Auntir Mabel' type of character and then turned out to be something rather different but she really stole the show for me this week and I think her villainy is going to be must watch! She won't be around for long so let's just enjoy Annette Badland for as long as possible!

STAN- Watch a joy! I had him down as Archie Mitchell 2.0 but he's surprised me! He ps really come into his own as pack leader of the elders group and I hope he stays for a good long time. I'm hoping DTC altered his evil side in order to ensure some longevity?