WWE2K15 - First screenshot and details. Wow.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
Forum Member
John Cena today posted, on his Twitter, the first game screenshot for next gen (current gen?) It can be found here

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnCena/status/496299473107050497

It looks amazing. Also, IGN are reporting that this year, the featured story lines will focus on 2 famous rivalries and PS4 and Xbox One will get proper career modes. Full story is here.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/08/04/wwe-2k15-story-career-modes-and-more-revealed-ign-first?%3A+ign%2Fall+(IGN+All)

Excited yet?

Comments

• mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder how many wrestlers will still be signed on with the WWE by the time the game comes out...?

Also, I know we're talking next-gen but I'd be extremely surprised if that screenshot is in-game...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    2k make very good looking sports games. Check out their basketball series in particular.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The MyStory thing is only available on "current gen". What does that mean? Considering IGN are still referring to Xbox One and PS4 as "Next Gen", I'm slightly confused by the comment :-/
    Forum Member
    I think they mean PS4/Xbox One because they also point out that it's unfortunate for PS3/360 stalwarts.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have to sort out the counter if they want me to buy it. That function was terrible in the 14 version. By the time the prompt was on the screen it was too late. I didn't like 2014 so would have to see an improvement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sad that they're going for another heavily scripted storymode. I much prefer the old style from the Smackdown vs Raw series. Of course, they weren't perfect and were also pretty linear, but it felt like you had choices. And with the technology available now, they have the power to create an epic storymode like that, where you can make choices to edit how the storyline plays out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    I am sad that they're going for another heavily scripted storymode. I much prefer the old style from the Smackdown vs Raw series. Of course, they weren't perfect and were also pretty linear, but it felt like you had choices. And with the technology available now, they have the power to create an epic storymode like that, where you can make choices to edit how the storyline plays out.

I still prefer the career modes from the old N64 games... even the gameplay, to be honest...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I like it better when you could walk around backstage and depending on who you talked to you could have a different storyline

I think the last WWE game I really loved was 2006 on the PSP, it had great storylines and choices throughout for replayability
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    I like it better when you could walk around backstage and depending on who you talked to you could have a different storyline

I think the last WWE game I really loved was 2006 on the PSP, it had great storylines and choices throughout for replayability

Ah, yeah. Know your Role :D That's what I mean, though. You get to pretend you have a choice, when really the end game, depending on which character you choose is the same.

I'd like a more risky story mode along that line - as in, if you loose a match, then that's it. You don't have to win a match to progress, so you can loose titles (and indeed, not win them). A lot of story (but say, you get to choose who you attack, so who you feud with, for example), whilst giving us the option of which titles to go for (rather than the end goal always being main eventing Wrestlemania - which it was for every single story mode prior to these heavily scripted stories that replaced it).

This will be the first WWE game I've bought in YEARS, though, so I'm still looking forward to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't have to win a match to progress, so you can loose titles (and indeed, not win them). A lot of story (but say, you get to choose who you attack, so who you feud with, for example), whilst giving us the option of which titles to go for...

That's very close to the old N64 games, so we know it's possible to do...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    That's very close to the old N64 games, so we know it's possible to do...

The only N64 game I played was Warzone (Or something like that?) and all fights were predetermined and shown at the beginning of story mode, and you had to win every single one :(!
    Forum Member
    The only N64 game I played was Warzone (Or something like that?) and all fights were predetermined and shown at the beginning of story mode, and you had to win every single one :(!

You missed out big time. War zone sucked whilst WCW World Tour, WCW/NWO Revenge, Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy were probably the greatest wrestling games ever made.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You missed out big time. War zone sucked whilst WCW World Tour, WCW/NWO Revenge, Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy were probably the greatest wrestling games ever made.

Agreed, WarZone was pants. I think that was the last WWF game handled by Acclaim but I could be wrong... THQ were handling the WCW games, which were still better than WarZone but then they got the WWF/WWE licence and released WrestleMania 2000 and No Mercy which, as already said, were arguably the best wrestling games ever made.

Honestly, if you're into wrestling, it might be worth picking up an old N64 off eBay and try to get those games. It'll make you realise that a fair few backward steps have been taken in the development of wrestling games.

(ETA: I was wrong, Acclaim produced one more WWF game after WarZone and that was Attitude... I never bothered with that one)

ETA2: From Wiki, bit of detail on career mode in No Mercy, a game almost 14 years old:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWF_No_Mercy
    The story mode's depth is due in part to its branching storylines that develop based on the outcomes of the player's matches. In WrestleMania 2000, if the player lost a match in the career mode, the game only allowed the player to retry the match, rather than adjusting the storyline accordingly. No Mercy's story mode offers branching storylines based on the outcomes of matches. The player has to actually play through each story several times and lose matches in order to achieve a 100% completion rating.

Unfortunately my old copy has the memory bug...
    Forum Member
    After Attitude, didn't they pick up the ECW license?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After Attitude, didn't they pick up the ECW license?

Think so.
    Forum Member
    They made 2 ECW games and then moved onto Legends of
    Wrestling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still have my N64 somewhere. But I was young when I got it, so didn't really know much about what was available past what was bought for me :p!

The No Mercy story mode sounds like exactly what what I want, though. They could make it much more story driven, but allow you to make choices, whilst still keeping it fresh and offering loads of replaybility. Whilst Universe mode looks fun (never actually played as I haven't owned a WWE game in years), I can imagine it getting stale fast.

Whilst MyStory looks fun, I'd imagine it's going to be exclusive to created wrestlers, much like the NBA version, which, whilst understandable, it's a shame.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Isn't this the first proper 2K entry? As last years was mainly done under THQ and just quickly put out under 2K after they acquired the rights.
    Forum Member
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    Isn't this the first proper 2K entry? As last years was mainly done under THQ and just quickly put out under 2K after they acquired the rights.

That's correct. When THQ went bankrupt, the game wasn't too far from being completed. This is 2K's first real release.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    That's correct. When THQ went bankrupt, the game wasn't too far from being completed. This is 2K's first real release.

2K and THQ are just the publishers - both games were/are still being developed by Yukes and Visual Concepts...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DS are saying the collector's edition is exclusive to PS4. I hope it isn't the case (I know in the US it isn't).

I'd prefer to pick it up on my Xbox One :(!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a588657/wwe-2k15-collectors-edition-features-wwe-hall-of-famer-hulk-hogan.html#~oM6bPbSfmKGmWg
  • AgeOfTheGeekAgeOfTheGeek Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    2K and THQ are just the publishers - both games were/are still being developed by Yukes and Visual Concepts...

The only difference this time is that 2K have far more creative control. Yukes are useless otherwise
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is only Visual Concept's second game in the series also. I could be wrong, but from the gameplay footage that I've seen of 2K14, they seem to have made many positive changes, so many 2K15 will be the game that really reinvents the genre.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New screenshots have been released. Looks amazing!
    http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/08/08/wwe-2k15-first-in-game-shots-of-randy-orton-ready-to-strike-on-ps4-and-xbox-one-ign-first?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

More info coming this Monday and Tuesday. We should be getting game play on one of those days, as IGN has exclusive access to the game, and the game will apparently be playable at Gamescom on Thursday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first 2 feuds for the Showcase mode have been revealed....

HHH vs HBK and CM Punk vs Cena.

Meh to both. Particularly the latter.

http://www.shopto.net/news/46816/WWE-2K15-to-explore-two-notable-rivalries/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed