Options

3 PAYG (3p, 2p, 1p)

RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just moved from O2 to the 3 Network.

I use approx 600MB data per month - minimal texts and calls (would be surprised to reach £1's worth at their low rates!)

Should I just stay on the standard 3,2,1 tariff or select an add-on with the £10 top-up? (All in One £10.). If you select the add on does that automatically deduct the £10 from your balance which leaves £0? Or is the add-on part of the top-up? I hope this makes sense!

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    I've just moved from O2 to the 3 Network.

I use approx 600MB data per month - minimal texts and calls (would be surprised to reach £1's worth at their low rates!)

Should I just stay on the standard 3,2,1 tariff or select an add-on with the £10 top-up? (All in One £10.). If you select the add on does that automatically deduct the £10 from your balance which leaves £0? Or is the add-on part of the top-up? I hope this makes sense!

Thanks.

The add on automatically deducts your £10 credit leaving you with £0 credit. The add on also only lasts for 30 days.

So if you're using 600mb a month, that'll cost £6, and If you're using £1 on calls/texts that means on average you'll be spending ~£7 a month which is cheaper than buying the £10 add on every month for 500mb data (and mins/texts) and paying an extra £1 for 100mb additional data.

So yes, you'd be saving a theoretical £4 a month on the standard 3,2,1

Also, you get 150mb free data every time you top up FYI.
  • Options
    hongkongandyhongkongandy Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Hi, 600 mb cost £6.00 so if you don't use text and calls (much) it must be the cheaper option. Worth a months trial?

For people who don't use the phone much... I bought my wife an iphone on payg
    for xmas, £10 credit added. She still has 5.48 left!!;-)

hka
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks both. I ask as when you top up with O2 £10 you get 500MB plus the credit to spend although it's something like £1 a day for internet after your allowance has been used up, and the call rates are silly. Although I did used to get upto 40 days usage out of £10.

So the savings are minimal but take into account the better 3G and 4G coverage within my area on 3 I think I've made the right choice.
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,606
    Forum Member
    Thanks both. I ask as when you top up with O2 £10 you get 500MB plus the credit to spend although it's something like £1 a day for internet after your allowance has been used up, and the call rates are silly. Although I did used to get upto 40 days usage out of £10.

Rather than topping up £10 a month on Three, top up £5 a fortnight or three weekly (when needed), you will then get 150MB free data to use with every top up (valid for 30 days from top up date).
  • Options
    corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    topping up a fiver a month would get you approx £1 in calls and texts and 550MB of data.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers didn't know they did £5 top-ups.

Another thing, if you are waiting for a number to be ported across and if you top-up on your current telephone number will the credit still roll over when your new number becomes active? Is the credit tied to your sim or phone number? I know you obviously lose any credit you have left on the network you're leaving (O2 in the case).
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tied to the account, so pretty much the SIM not the number - but technically not that either as you can get replacement SIM cards without losing the credit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers.. so my number has now ported across in these sense I can receive texts and calls on it via my 3 sim but the actual phone number of the sim card hasn't changed?! When I select data connection is still shows the old 3 number and in My3 Account. I could see this posing problems in the future, how do you change it?

Thanks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers.. so my number has now ported across in these sense I can receive texts and calls on it via my 3 sim but the actual phone number of the sim card hasn't changed?! When I select data connection is still shows the old 3 number and in My3 Account. I could see this posing problems in the future, how do you change it?

Thanks.

I would adivse going into your nearest Three shop

They're rather helpful :)
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,668
    Forum Member
    For most phones the number in the SIM isn't actually used, its just for your reference. Its used on iPhones for iMessage and Facetime registration. Some networks (Vodafone) even issue SIMs to people with no number stored, just 00000 000000 !

On Android there are apps in the Play store that let you edit the SIM's own phone number, and on iPhone you can do it in the settings->phone area.
  • Options
    Jack_Wilson2Jack_Wilson2 Posts: 2,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is my complete opinion no FACTS here ;-

Three's PAYG could change for what I believe of the below reasons;-

- '0800' are not free and Three UK will create a new package to entice users.
    - 'Tethering Blocks' as with the new tariffs tethering blocks have come into place. Many people get away with tethering on PAYG (not all but I certainly know a few people).
    - Three's PAYG in comparison minutes to data PAYG actually beats Three's contract plans. (Compare the 'All in one 15' to the £15 Sim only contract plans). PRICE WISE!

Like I said these are my honest opinion but it would make sense that Three UK would make a new PAYG tariff because of the above reasons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want a PAYG option that will work in a tablet (officially, not because they don't always detect it).

My dad got a pay monthly SIM with 512MB for £5 a month and there's no hard cap, so he got stung with a bill of £27 on top for 260 odd MB over which is ridiculous. Over 10p per meg. Crazy.

And the PAYG mobile broadband option doesn't mean nasty surprises but forces you to buy a fixed amount of data which I don't want either.
  • Options
    Jack_Wilson2Jack_Wilson2 Posts: 2,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    I want a PAYG option that will work in a tablet (officially, not because they don't always detect it).

My dad got a pay monthly SIM with 512MB for £5 a month and there's no hard cap, so he got stung with a bill of £27 on top for 260 odd MB over which is ridiculous. Over 10p per meg. Crazy.

And the PAYG mobile broadband option doesn't mean nasty surprises but forces you to buy a fixed amount of data which I don't want either.

No system is 100% flawless glitched sims will be out there somewhere.

You can ask them to put a 'hard cap' it's called a 'Spending Cap' now I've got one on 'The One Plan' i don't know if it's the same on the 'data packages' but ouch that'd sting me!

Doubt that facility will come in the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before I moved my parents over to EE for mobile broadband (£20 for 15GB with hard cap) they were on the top 15GB package on Three. When they exceeded that, the data stopped.

I honestly thought that happened on the lower tariffs, but clearly not. It's a ridiculous charge (more akin to the charges you'd expect when roaming) and my dad has the SIM in an iPad which has no apparent way to limit the data once it reaches a set amount, just apps that could warn him, possibly after the fact. Fat lot of good that is.

Frankly, such tariffs are awful. He can't tell when he's using exactly 500/512MB. Going over a single MB is going to up his bill, so clearly what he's doing now is making sure to hardly ever use it for fear of exceeding the allowance. I will see if he can get a hard cap put on though.

But I think I am now going to recommend he ditches it and gets either a PAYG mobile broadband SIM, or looks to get an EE SIM. The £15 SIM that gives you 10GB of free data, plus your £15 credit to be spent later looks like a great deal. If this promotion keeps going, he could actually use a lot more data for around the same cost, and then buy another SIM and repeat.

I have no idea why Three doesn't let tablet (or Mi-Fi/dongle) users get a 321 PAYG SIM designed for data only and pay the 1p per MB - and with no option to buy an AYCE package, just fixed data amounts. Sort of like a mix of the PAYG offerings available today.
  • Options
    natbikenatbike Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Before I moved my parents over to EE for mobile broadband (£20 for 15GB with hard cap) they were on the top 15GB package on Three. When they exceeded that, the data stopped.

I honestly thought that happened on the lower tariffs, but clearly not. It's a ridiculous charge (more akin to the charges you'd expect when roaming) and my dad has the SIM in an iPad which has no apparent way to limit the data once it reaches a set amount, just apps that could warn him, possibly after the fact. Fat lot of good that is.

We have a few Three BB SIMs, all can be capped but you have to ask. Then your data stops and you won't get charged. This is a very good feature of Three (and presumably EE if they now ask you to buy an add-on when you reach your limit). Unfortunately you cannot buy further data that month with Three which would make it perfect.

Phone them and request the cap.

Incidentally, I pay £11 for 15GB and it wasn't particularly difficult to get (I took out a 30 day sim only and spoke to retentions).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A hard cap has now been applied. Thanks for that.