Options

Countdown - so much better these days!

Comments

• Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that the money man or the newsreader?

Notice too they've got a new sponsor today.
  • Options
    Simon6776Simon6776 Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the money saving expert guy.
  • Options
    geoff77geoff77 Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Simon6776 wrote: »

.... with the high left eyebrow
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon6776 wrote: »
    He must be making a fortune out of this recession. He seems to be the only "money saving" expert in the country.
  • Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    Martin Lewis feels wrong for this programme.

Jeff just made a funny comment about not downgrading Rachel for a cheaper model! Little dig at La Vorderman there?!!
  • Options
    katiemackkatiemack Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    Anyone watching today...

If that last vowel had been an E we would have had a classic countdown dirty word moment! :D
  • Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    katiemack wrote: »
    Anyone watching today...

If that last vowel had been an E we would have had a classic countdown dirty word moment! :D

We did anyway with w**ks
  • Options
    nellieknelliek Posts: 10,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to laugh when Jeff said 'please get more than 5' when the first set of letters went up.
    And the look he gave to camera when the he asked the first guy what his 5-letter word was - classic. :D
  • Options
    katiemackkatiemack Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    davethorp wrote: »
    We did anyway with w**ks

I know but w*****s as a 7 would have been great I don't know if I was a contestant if i'd have been able to resist it for the points!! But w*nks was funny!

It was Rachel's face when he asked for the final vowel and then Jeff saying hope you get more than 5!! :D
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I do find it irritating the way Rachel says 'times by' rather than the correct expression 'multiply by'. I appreciate that this is a colloquialism often used by children, but an adult with a background in maths surely ought to know the proper word to use.
  • Options
    textyboytextyboy Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I do find it irritating the way Rachel says 'times by' rather than the correct expression 'multiply by'. I appreciate that this is a colloquialism often used by children, but an adult with a background in maths surely ought to know the proper word to use.

Blimey you really are trying hard to find things to moan about..! Lighten up and leave lovely Rachel alone:)
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well all I can say is that my maths professor used to say "times" and I've always used that term - it's so much more concise than multiplied by and it is in the dictionary.

"Over" is also commonly used instead of "divide" though that isn't in the dictionary.
  • Options
    Old BlokeOld Bloke Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    katiemack wrote: »
    Anyone watching today...

I thought the contestant looked most uncomfortable as he saw the way the letters were going, although Rachel obviously found it very funny.
    If the last vowel had actually been 'E', he could easily have put the 'S' at the beginning of the word, anyway, and avoided the nasty moment!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why say two words when one will suffice and means the same thing? ;)
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Steve Davies is in Dictionary Corner! Has he been there before?

And Rachel looks awesome today. Again.
  • Options
    textyboytextyboy Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Steve Davies is in Dictionary Corner! Has he been there before?

And Rachel looks awesome today. Again.

Spot on. Rachel gets better and better. ;)

So glad Vorderman wouldn't take the pay cut! :D
  • Options
    methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Is the very sexi Kirk going to be in the finals? I miss him already:D

Regards

:)
  • Options
    AbacaAbaca Posts: 2,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should be an interesting week with Steve in the Corner.
  • Options
    Old BlokeOld Bloke Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    textyboy wrote: »
    Spot on. Rachel gets better and better. ;)

So glad Vorderman wouldn't take the pay cut! :D

I can never understand these constant comparisons.

Vorderman = Gorgeous
    Riley = Gorgeous

Why can't we have them both?

Correction - Why can't I have them both?
    :D
  • Options
    Mr RigsbyMr Rigsby Posts: 2,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Countdown during the Richard Whiteley and Des Lynam days, however I stopped watching when Des O'Connor took over. He is one of the most awful entertainers of all time.

I do think that Countdown is the best ever now, though! Jeff Stelling is a legend. I also think Rachel Riley is a million times better than Carol Vorderman. Long may they continue!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Des Lynam was especially good on the show IMO and just what they needed following Richard Whitely. It was a shame he quit when he did, and Des O'Conner was never the right person for the job - but I think by then Carol had firmly been positioned as the Queen of Countdown, and it would have been difficult for any host to come in and really make their mark.

I just hope Jeff sticks with it, especially with the move away from Leeds. Really though it's the ideal role for him, increasing his portfolio without affecting his day job, and I imagine few people will be on TV more this year than Jeff Stelling.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rachel is getting more and more confident in her role finally and truly is beautiful

Jeff is a good host and deserves the chance on a terrestrial show at last

Steve Davis is good on this mostly because like most of us he is not very good at getting the 7+ letter words over and over
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I may be a little bit in love with Rachel.
  • Options
    jonty9jonty9 Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    ratings are falling..dont think it will survive much longer
    past its sell by date now
  • Options
    AbacaAbaca Posts: 2,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But if they axe Countdown then are they really going to find something better to replace it? The last thing we need is more repeats of A Place in the Sun...
This discussion has been closed.