ID Badges

Emma_WaughmanEmma_Waughman Posts: 12,892
Forum Member
✭✭
Just wondering where i can order a ID badge to allow me to buy a brink at a bar or get into a nightclub.

Thanks.

Comments

• chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    are you of legal age ?
  • Emma_WaughmanEmma_Waughman Posts: 12,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    are you of legal age ?

Yes,im eighteen now.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does such a thing exist? Most people use a driving licence or passport don't they?
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I am remember the old days before this nanny state stuff started. We just walked in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    Does such a thing exist? Most people use a driving licence or passport don't they?

My friend ordered one about a couple of months before her bday in May and it apparently takes six months to come through the post. But i havent got any idea about it really. Didnt know you can use them things though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am remember the old days before this nanny state stuff started. We just walked in.
    same here I used to get in to pubs at 15 the police would turn a blind eye as long as we were not ranting and raving fighting and spewing around the place I miss the good old days.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Driving license/Passport/Military ID are the main proofs of ID, sometimes pubs will use others but you can normally see what they use via the stickers on the door/window

and you could just walk into the place you want to go and see what they say
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    There is such thing as a citizen card, which is probably what your friend has. I have one as im unable to drive and dont really think its wise to carry my passport around with me (habit of losing things!).

The problem is you have to argue with some places. It says on the back that its legally recognised by the police force and as such places have to accept it as legal proof of age. I tried to use mine in a wetherspoons and was told that it was not acceptable, despite them having application leaflets for it just down the road in another wetherspoons! I had to speak to the manager who eventually agreed that on that one occasion they would accept it but they wouldnt in future.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    There is such thing as a citizen card, which is probably what your friend has. I have one as im unable to drive and dont really think its wise to carry my passport around with me (habit of losing things!).

The problem is you have to argue with some places. It says on the back that its legally recognised by the police force and as such places have to accept it as legal proof of age. I tried to use mine in a wetherspoons and was told that it was not acceptable, despite them having application leaflets for it just down the road in another wetherspoons! I had to speak to the manager who eventually agreed that on that one occasion they would accept it but they wouldnt in future.

Ok,thank you for all of your help.

May i ask why some places dont accept a citizens card when it has all the details your passport or any other ID has?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

May i ask why some places dont accept a citizens card when it has all the details your passport or any other ID has?
    my guess is counter fit forging a passport will get you in a hep of shit most people dont or have not heard of a citizenship card and online places offer to make fake I.D's for a few quid wheres getting a fake passport will cost you a lot cash- hence to un trained eye a good quality passport is a good source of I.D where a plastic card made with a low end computer costs about 5quid
    Forum Member

I think its because when i did my first citizen card it was done through the school who just signed to say i was the age i claimed to be. When i was 18 i just needed someone to sign to say i was 18 so i suppose some places think they arent as reliable as a passport where your details are checked thoroughly and you are interviewed.

Back when i got mine, citizen cards hyperthetically were easy to lie on. Im not sure if they have changed their application process since to make it more reliable.

Some places probably have never seen one before because most people do have driving licenses so get suspicious that its a fake id when its genuine.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »

Odd. Can't you then just say that the manager let you in last time?
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,068
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Why would they take someone's word for that? And even if the manager is thete to ask how likely is it they'd remember?
    As for just walking in as someone suggested, most places round here ask for id at the door therefore allowing the bar staff to not have to worry about id and serve more drinks each night.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those citizen age cards are a waste of money. Nowhere takes them seriously.

Just get a provisional driving licence.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    Just get a provisional driving licence.

The best bit of advice yet!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    The best bit of advice yet!

provisional licence is not classed as ID I know people that have been band from driving (should not say this) they get a new licence through a 2nd provisional while waiting out the ban.

anyone over 17 can pick up a form from the post office and change their name a bit (think shot gun name) a provisional licence is not excepted by banks or to get a passport.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a1974 wrote: »
    provisional licence is not classed as ID I know people that have been band from driving (should not say this) they get a new licence through a 2nd provisional while waiting out the ban.

anyone over 17 can pick up a form from the post office and change their name a bit (think shot gun name) a provisional licence is not excepted by banks or to get a passport.

It might not be accepted by banks etc, but I've never had mine refused at a bar or club.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, the only time in my life that I have been asked my age was the first time I tried to buy alcohol after my 18th birthday. I'd been buying it since I was 15.
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »

The issue we had is we were there for a meal, a group of us all in our early twenties. We didnt get asked id because we went in before 8pm. When we had eaten our main course we tried to order dessert but because it had just turned 8pm they said we could only stay if we all had id. When they didnt accept mine it was embarassing but the manager agreed that we could stay just that one time.

What annoyed me was that another wetherspoons nearby had the application forms for citizen cards with an offer that you buy it for 10% less. So why are they promoting a card in one pub (which has always accepted it) that they wont accept in other ones?

And to answer whoever said why not get a provisional driving license, i cant learn to drive due to a disability so thats out of the question for me. I do have a passport but dont like carrying it around for nights out.
  • giz a tabgiz a tab Posts: 975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apply for a citizencard.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a1974 wrote: »

The only difference between a provisional and full licence is the bit about being able to drive - the DVLA do all the ID checks when they issue the provisional. So there's no particular logic in banks etc refusing a provisional licence, and they don't all do. And a driving licence doesn't really help you with getting a passport - if it's your first one you'll still need to go for an interview.
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Don't you get an ID card when you turn 18 in Britain?
  • The_SmegThe_Smeg Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    davor wrote: »
    Don't you get an ID card when you turn 18 in Britain?
    no......
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    The_Smeg wrote: »
    no......

How people prove who they are then? Those who don't drive to be precise.
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    How people prove who they are then? Those who don't drive to be precise.

Passport, student card, birth certificate, utility bills, I've even used a photographic bus pass for I.D