FTTC - Open for orders but no providers?

cgkcgk Posts: 528
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm sure this is a common situation, my exchange (Burscough) has been showing as open for orders for months - but no matter where you are in the village, what phone number you put in - nobody is shown as providing FTTC?

What am I missing?

Comments

• BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    cgk wrote: »
    I'm sure this is a common situation, my exchange (Burscough) has been showing as open for orders for months - but no matter where you are in the village, what phone number you put in - nobody is shown as providing FTTC?

What am I missing?
    This sound strange if true! FTTC does rely on a brand and mains powered fibre box being built next to each of the existing phone "cabs" - so it is normal (and expected) that not all homes will be able to get fibre service at once.

For my exchange in a medium sized town, for example, it was very many months after the exchange had fibre until they reached "CAB 44" which serves my house!
  • cgkcgk Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    This sound strange! FTTC does rely on a brand and mains powered fibre box being built next to each of the existing phone "cabs" - so it is normal (and expected) that not all homes will be able to get fibre service at once.

For my exchange, for example, it was very many months after the exchange had fibre until they reached "CAB 44" which serves my house!

It's weird - I expected that not all of the village would get it at the same time but no numbers I've tried anywhere in the village or addresses can get it more. Nobody I've spoken to, has it either. Moreover I checked and my Cab (14 off the top of my head) was switched on at start of May).
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    where is it saying it's open for orders?
    also, use this link to find out what services are available at your number (it also tells you the cab you are on)

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    where is it saying it's open for orders?
    also, use this link to find out what services are available at your number (it also tells you the cab you are on)

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput

Open reach site plus I emailed them and my cab was switched on at start of may.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Open reach site plus I emailed them and my cab was switched on at start of may.

and what does the link i provided say about your number?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and what does the link i provided say about your number?

That it's ADSL only but I already know this - what I cannot work out is - if FTTC is available, who is actually getting it? Not ever CAB is every switched on but open reach say mine is - and even if you take my CAB out, I cannot find anyone in the village regardless of where they live who has it or access to it. I know a few other people who have also been investigating this and we all hit the same brick wall.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That it's ADSL only but I already know this - what I cannot work out is - if FTTC is available, who is actually getting it? Not ever CAB is every switched on but open reach say mine is - and even if you take my CAB out, I cannot find anyone in the village regardless of where they live who has it or access to it. I know a few other people who have also been investigating this and we all hit the same brick wall.

but if that URL i gave you says no fibre then openreach isn't saying your cab is fibre ready.
    samknows says your exchange is fibre ready however they will be getting that info from an OR source.

i suspect that your exchange isn't fibre ready and that it's an error on the site you are looking at.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but if that URL i gave you says no fibre then openreach isn't saying your cab is fibre ready.
    samknows says your exchange is fibre ready however they will be getting that info from an OR source.

i suspect that your exchange isn't fibre ready and that it's an error on the site you are looking at.

So if that is the case, I wonder why open reach are telling me via email it is up and running? I can completely accept that it is an error but it's a bit poor if the organisation responsible themselves have no idea....
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you actually taken a walk down the road to locate the cabinet? And if so does it have a new one close by? If it doesn't then it quite possibly hasn't been upgraded to fibre yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Have you actually taken a walk down the road to locate the cabinet? And if so does it have a new one close by? If it doesn't then it quite possibly hasn't been upgraded to fibre yet.

Good plan, I'll go for a wander later...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »

note that any fibre cab might not be very close to the existing cab.
    in some cases it can be a reasonable distance away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good plan, I'll go for a wander later...

no point, your cab isn't fibre ready as the URL i gave you had already stated.
    if it was it would have listed fibre services and projected speeds.