Letting your partner use your bank card at an atm.

Comments

• 3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would just make it worse, I've got enough to remember between work, websites, iPads, iTunes, email, ebay, phone, online banking etc some are the same some have to be different (upper case, letters and numbers etc)

It's not like I forget all 4 numbers, I just get the middle two mixed up sometimes. Some people are finding that hard to understand

I've worked in banking and I can tell you, hand on heart, that you are not the only one to struggle with remembering four numbers.

Personally I use the first four digits of an old phone number and that seems to work for me.
  • clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    My tip for remembering a PIN is to save it as a phone number. Obviously don't save it as an obvious name but make sure you can remember who then just take the first 7 numbers of somewhere like the local chinese and add your PIN at the end, I doubt I am the only person who has done this although no doubt it is frowned upon my the banks.
  • hardeephardeep Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    People who forget their pin numbers must have bad memories. A pin number's only four numbers long.

I've only got the one and about 3/4 years ago I did my shop at Sainburys and when I went to enter my PIN my mind went utterly blank - I couldn't remember a pin I'd been using for 10+ years:blush:

After a minute of blind panic I just took a gamble and without thinking let my muscle memory take over automatically entering the correct PIN:)
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    Use something like keepass to store them - then you only have to remember one password to get access to all the others

I have this on all my PCs and phone, with a common database that's shared via dropbox. There's a key file (not on dropbox) on each device that works in conjunction with my entered password.

To open it you need the password, the database and to know what the keyfile is called and where it is on the device. reasonably safe in the short term even if I lost my phone

Would that one password be the same as one of your current ones, or something new? And if you forget it, do you have to change it again? I can see further problems arising :)
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would that one password be the same as one of your current ones, or something new? And if you forget it, do you have to change it again? I can see further problems arising :)

write it down and stick it on the fridge :D
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It starts like that, then one asks for minimum 8 characters. Then one asks for letters and numbers. Then one asks for letters and numbers and both upper and lower case. PIN number is 4 numbers only, same as phone/ipad. Then you forget one and have to change it. Then ebay suggests you change your password.

Maybe if I could start all over again I could make it work :)

OK an example.

Let's say you're a fan of The Beatles
    Pick a number... say 44 ( and always use the same number but NOT anything to do with your birthday )
    You have to remember your password for your Amazon account.
    Pick a word or phrase that starts with an A that is something to do with The Beatles....let's say Abbey Road
    So ..... AbbeyRoad44 or 44AbbeyRoad or 4abbeYroaD4

You can even carry around a crib sheet with you if you put a cryptic clue instead of the actual password. So a clue for AbbeyRoad might be zebraX for example.

As long as you use the same "rules" for every password ...

I agree that PINs are not so easy but fortunately I only have two. One credit card and one debit card. I was quite lucky that the PIN that I was given with my CC was a fairly easy one to remember. The one for the Debit card wasn't but I managed to memorise it without too much trouble.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have to remember your password for your Amazon account.
    Pick a word or phrase that starts with an A that is something to do with The Beatles....let's say Abbey Road
    So ..... AbbeyRoad44 or 44AbbeyRoad or 4abbeYroaD4

You can even carry around a crib sheet with you if you put a cryptic clue instead of the actual password. So a clue for AbbeyRoad might be zebraX for example.
    WTF??
    :o
    Just press "Forgot my password".
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WTF??
    :o
    Just press "Forgot my password".

Haha ! Well it works for me cos I don't forget my passwords :)

ps - what if you can't remember the password for your email ? :)
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

Or, indeed, which email account you used?
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in the opposite boat.
    My wife and I are both 51 years old, but my wife has NEVER used an ATM, or the payment machine in any shop.
    She can't remember any kind of PIN.
    She refuses to learn how to use my card, even though I have offered to teach her many times,
    So I have to either get the money out of the bank and give it to her to go shopping, or I have to go shopping with her (which I don't mind BTW) I like shopping for groceries.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I use only one password for everything:
    "Iforgotmypassword".
    Simple.
    :D
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The woman at the bank made it sound like it was a very unusual thing.
    It's unusual for someone to admit to bank staff that they've used someone else's card, because most people know that the card is the property of the bank, and can be withdrawn from the account for what is a misuse of the T&Cs.

Reality is, families commonly trust one another with cards & pins. I know I've given my card/pin to a relative on the rare occasion that I've been ill and needed cash. My elderly father is fairly immobile, and regularly trusts everyone with his card/pin to get cash out. We never mention this to the banks.

I've worked in several banks in the past, and I can always remember one arrogant woman approaching the counter for a cash withdrawal, using a card that was in a male's name. All the ATMs were offline because of a national outage, and she thought this gave her the right to use the counter with someone else's card instead. I couldn't believe the audacity. Suffice to say she was one unhappy bunny when I had to retain the card instead.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My wife does the weekly shop using my credit card.
    My kids sometimes take my debit card when they buy the odd thing from a supermarket.

If I spent my life wondering about what *might* happen, I'd be a nervous wreck who never left the house.
  • Ron_JRon_J Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clarribo wrote: »
    My tip for remembering a PIN is to save it as a phone number. Obviously don't save it as an obvious name but make sure you can remember who then just take the first 7 numbers of somewhere like the local chinese and add your PIN at the end, I doubt I am the only person who has done this although no doubt it is frowned upon my the banks.
    I do this, one of the contacts in my phone is a made up but completely plausible name with a phone number containing the PINs for my credit and debit cards set out in a way that makes sense to me. I did it after I forgot my PIN one day and had my card swallowed by the machine which caused me no end of hassle until the new card eventually arrived in the post.

Anyway I remember when I was about 8 my dad handed over his card and told me his PIN so I could get £20 from the machine for him because he was too lazy to get out of the car. I'd never used a machine before and I panicked, pressed the wrong button and he ended up with £200!
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,987
    Forum Member
    Me and the boyfriend use each other's cards and a few of my staff have used mine too to go and get leaving presents when we've forgotten or to nip to the shop. My mates and brothers have also used my card.
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's against the bank's T&C s (I found that out the hard way a few years ago when there was fraud on one of my accounts) but I still let my boyfriend and a few of my friends use my card.
    Forum Member
    It's unusual for someone to admit to bank staff that they've used someone else's card, because most people know that the card is the property of the bank, and can be withdrawn from the account for what is a misuse of the T&Cs.

Reality is, families commonly trust one another with cards & pins. I know I've given my card/pin to a relative on the rare occasion that I've been ill and needed cash. My elderly father is fairly immobile, and regularly trusts everyone with his card/pin to get cash out. We never mention this to the banks.

I've worked in several banks in the past, and I can always remember one arrogant woman approaching the counter for a cash withdrawal, using a card that was in a male's name. All the ATMs were offline because of a national outage, and she thought this gave her the right to use the counter with someone else's card instead. I couldn't believe the audacity. Suffice to say she was one unhappy bunny when I had to retain the card instead.

1st BIB: are you sure about this? Why on Earth do people need to do this? :confused: On the odd occasion when I've been without a debit card, my wife uses hers and I transfer the funds to her using a banking app. Simple and does not compromise security.

2nd BIB: er, so what was 'arrogant' about it? You've just said you do the same thing.
    Forum Member
    1st BIB: are you sure about this? Why on Earth do people need to do this? :confused: On the odd occasion when I've been without a debit card, my wife uses hers and I transfer the funds to her using a banking app. Simple and does not compromise security.

2nd BIB: er, so what was 'arrogant' about it? You've just said you do the same thing.

I can only speak for myself obviously but because it's easier to just hand them my card and tell them my pin than it is to go onto my internet banking and transferring the money into their account.
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If my boyfriend or one of my friends is going to the shop anyway then it's easier to just give them my card and ask them to get me what I need, rather than all of us go with kids in tow. And it's definitely quicker and easier than logging-on to online banking and transferring money around.

With my boyfriend I sometimes take enough cash out to last me a while and then he keeps my card for a few days / a week to do whatever transactions he needs to with it, I prefer dealing with cash (helps me budget) and he prefers using cards. So it works out perfect for both of us.
    Forum Member
    I can only speak for myself obviously but because it's easier to just hand them my card and tell them my pin than it is to go onto my internet banking and transferring the money into their account.

But the whole point of a PIN is that it is known only to that individual. If you disclose it to anyone else, you are not only breaking the contractual terms of the card, you have lost control of security of access to your account.

I mean, here are banks making huge efforts to increase security and prevent fraudsters from accessing people's accounts and they are being undermined by the very people who they're trying to help. :o. No wonder the level of fraud is where it is.
    Forum Member
    But the whole point of a PIN is that it is known only to that individual. If you disclose it to anyone else, you are not only breaking the contractual terms of the card, you have lost control of security of access to your account.

I mean, here are banks making huge efforts to increase security and prevent fraudsters from accessing people's accounts and they are being undermined by the very people who they're trying to help. :o. No wonder the level of fraud is where it is.

I admit I probably shouldn't do it but for ease, I do. The only person who really uses it is my boyfriend, other people sporadically, and it only ever has a small amount of money in it as it's not my main account. If he did ever decide to defraud me and run away, he wouldn't get far as the bank account I pay his wages into is in my name so id just cancel his card.

I think a lot of people do things for ease that we shouldn't do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife and I have debit cards for our joint account. I haven't go a clue what her PIN is and she doesn't know mine.

It's been like this since we got married, she doesn't even have a credit card, I do.
  • ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, because our families are going to turn into Jeremy Kyle scum in the middle of the night.
    If you don't know your own family by now, then I guess it's good that you keep your card to yourself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want your partner to have access to your funds, set up a joint account.

If you lack the mental ability to remember a PIN number as an adult, get a carer and social worker. You're not built for real responsibilities, designate them accordingly.

PIN stands for Personal Identification Number. If you share it... it is no longer personal.

Dumb people should acknowledge their limits and seek proper services. Grow up or be taken care of because you cannot function as an adult.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you lack the mental ability to remember a PIN number
    PIN stands for Personal Identification Number
    Dumb people should acknowledge their limits.

I'll say no more.