Options

Cameron and Clegg questioned by the public

2»

Comments

• Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,866
    Forum Member
    I disagree with you OP. I haven't heard nothing from Cameron/Clegg that they haven't said many times before.

Wish the audience would press them on bringing back council homes and are they going to take us onto a war with Iran at some stage etc etc
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    Why is George not answering these questions?

Ask the BBC that one, perhaps he was not invited by them, or perhaps it is because he is not PM or Deputy PM and that is who the BBC wanted there. I would no doubt he would have been able to adequately answer the questions if he had been asked them.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Awww, that's so sweet.:D

I know :)
  • Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was a good programme, and wish it had gone on for longer. I respect these two for doing this, Cameron has never shyed away from talking directly to the public, he has done a lot of public meetings. Pity Brown hasn't got the courage of his convictions and faced the public, if he really believed he was right he should be in the House of Commons fighting them tooth and nail, instead of hiding away.
  • Options
    TiffaniTiffani Posts: 5,444
    Forum Member
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    Why is George not answering these questions?

Probably cos Cameron and Clegg come across better to the public in these sort of situations.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, it makes a change for the BBC to bother inviting a Lib Dem on a discussion show at all!

I actually thought Nick looked a bit uncomfortable at time. We all knew the answer to a lot of questions was either "Yes I know you're angry but just imagine how we felt when we got in and saw the books" or just as often, "I don't like it much either but more people voted for this dude so he gets his evil Tory way most of the time."

I don't buy the Clegg=Tory thing. If he was that much of one why would he join the Lib Dems? He'd have had a much better chance of getting power if he'd joined the Conservatives.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ben wrote: »
    Hey, it makes a change for the BBC to bother inviting a Lib Dem on a discussion show at all!

I actually thought Nick looked a bit uncomfortable at time. We all knew the answer to a lot of questions was either "Yes I know you're angry but just imagine how we felt when we got in and saw the books" or just as often, "I don't like it much either but more people voted for this dude so he gets his evil Tory way most of the time."

I don't buy the Clegg=Tory thing. If he was that much of one why would he join the Lib Dems? He'd have had a much better chance of getting power if he'd joined the Conservatives.

He'd have had no chance of being Deputy Prime Minister though would he? He's just be another suit in a sea of suits. ;)

ETA: No way would he have been leader of the Tories, he wouldn't have had a prominent enough position to be Deputy either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was no logic intended I was asking a hypothetical question.

As I said the man made me wonder what would happen if Cleggs constituents did sack him, I wasn't saying they would or that they should ;)

That's a really interesting point Gummy Mummy - hadn't thought of that! It just might well happen at the next election!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looked abit like Ant and Dec....now we have Nick and Nat..........ok then Nick and Dave......lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CASPER1066 wrote: »
    Looked abit like Ant and Dec....now we have Nick and Nat..........ok then Nick and Dave......lol

:D:D They didn't look too bad together IMO :D;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CASPER1066 wrote: »

Nave and.... :D
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is only me or did Nick Robinson kept interrupting Nick Clegg from answering the questions by asking the audience to ask even more question and made the whole proceeding very confusing and frustrating?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Not just you.

The trouble with shows like this is that the big beasts of BBC political coverage are analysts, not mediators. Nick Robinson is used to building up a story and giving his take. He's a Tory supporter. Ditto for Michael Crick who is tribally Labour.

This is fine if you know this and it is in the context of an editorial piece like we're used to seeing them both do. Neither is terribly good at presenting a balanced debate as they are too ready to let their colours show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    trickyvik wrote: »
    Nave and.... :D

Oh yeah I get it :D;) Brilliant!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    trickyvik wrote: »
    He'd have had no chance of being Deputy Prime Minister though would he? He's just be another suit in a sea of suits. ;)

ETA: No way would he have been leader of the Tories, he wouldn't have had a prominent enough position to be Deputy either.

Given the results our electoral system generally throws up, before May 6, how many people would have counted on his chances of becoming Deputy PM in any event? Just food for thought, there. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mithy73 wrote: »
    Given the results our electoral system generally throws up, before May 6, how many people would have counted on his chances of becoming Deputy PM in any event? Just food for thought, there. :)

Apparently the exact same thing happened in the 70's (although the coalition was never formed) so it was always a possibility that the Lib Dems would be required to prop one of the other two main parties.

I take your point though. :)
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. Not just you.

The trouble with shows like this is that the big beasts of BBC political coverage are analysts, not mediators. Nick Robinson is used to building up a story and giving his take. He's a Tory supporter. Ditto for Michael Crick who is tribally Labour.

This is fine if you know this and it is in the context of an editorial piece like we're used to seeing them both do. Neither is terribly good at presenting a balanced debate as they are too ready to let their colours show.

David Dimbleby and even Jeremy Paxman, whatever their political leanings might be, never seem so dire in fulfilling the role of an 'mediator'. Robinson is nigh to hopeless and made the whole 30-minute programme rather frustrating to watch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Dimbleby always seems to be accused of bias but by everyone at once, which is usually a good sign that he is actually pretty impartial.

Paxman just attacks everybody, indiscriminately!

As for random acts of the electoral system, it is genuinely scandalous that the Liberals have been so far from government for so long with so large a share of the vote. The election you're thinking of, trickyvik is February 1974 when the Liberal Party got 20% of the vote but only 14 seats - an even worse ratio than this time when the Lib Dems topped 23% and got 57 seats.

Any proportional system would have produced hung parliaments (and therefore most likely coalitions at least some of the time) every election since the 1930s.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben - how does the FPTP system produce such ridculous results - I mean the Lib Dem's percentage increased but their seats were reduced. Labour got less votes than John Major in 97 but yet managed to win 356 seats in 2005.

Bizarre.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has to do with whether a party's support is geographically concentrated or spread out. If you have 20,000 votes in one town you can get an MP - if you have 200,000 spread evenly across the country you get diddly squat.

The Lib Dems (and Liberals) always suffered from having a significant level of support nationally but almost never enough votes in one single constituency to win. Even to this day "a strong second place" is practically the adopted motto of some LD local parties.

Lib Dems and Greens will benefit a little (the Greens very slightly indeed I think) from a move to AV if the referendum is passed but only a proportional system will genuinely make everyone's votes count.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has to do with whether a party's support is geographically concentrated or spread out. If you have 20,000 votes in one town you can get an MP - if you have 200,000 spread evenly across the country you get diddly squat.

The Lib Dems (and Liberals) always suffered from having a significant level of support nationally but almost never enough votes in one single constituency to win. Even to this day "a strong second place" is practically the adopted motto of some LD local parties.

Lib Dems and Greens will benefit a little (the Greens very slightly indeed I think) from a move to AV if the referendum is passed but only a proportional system will genuinely make everyone's votes count.

Very interesting analysis Ben. Although hopefully, AV will be the start of a more fair system.