How do I report a police officer?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 564
Forum Member
✭✭
On my way to work this morning about 6.45. Got to a roundabout, the exit I wanted had been coned off due to flooding, with a police car sitting behind the cones. There was hardly anyone about so I pulled up beside the cop car and wound down my window, to receive a terse 'MOVE AWAY, you can't stop here!!' So I asked him how I could get to my destination, and he replied in an extremely rude tone, 'USE A MAP!

Now excuse me, but aren't police supposed to assist the public in these situations? He had closed off the road and decided to sit in such a position as to invite questions from drivers about possible diversion options, yet wasn't prepared to answer them. He should either have set back the cones a bit to provide space or not sat there at all. Absolute rude bastard!! I am totally outraged and want to report him but don't have his details.

Rant over.

Comments

• Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phone your local Police station. Explain the situation, they will be able to find out who was at the scene. A simple description if there were two officers in the car will sort out who said it.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best to just rant here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    perk of the job
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    He was probably just having a bad day, but if you really want to make a fuss and complain here's the IPCC's document on how to make a complaint:
    http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/sites/default/files/Documents/publications/A_guide_to_the_police_complaints_system_leaflet.PDF

You go via your local police who will have a written complaints procedure. Check their own website. Serious complaints will be referred to the IPCC.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sofadude wrote: »
    On my way to work this morning about 6.45. Got to a roundabout, the exit I wanted had been coned off due to flooding, with a police car sitting behind the cones. There was hardly anyone about so I pulled up beside the cop car and wound down my window, to receive a terse 'MOVE AWAY, you can't stop here!!' So I asked him how I could get to my destination, and he replied in an extremely rude tone, 'USE A MAP!

Now excuse me, but aren't police supposed to assist the public in these situations? He had closed off the road and decided to sit in such a position as to invite questions from drivers about possible diversion options, yet wasn't prepared to answer them. He should either have set back the cones a bit to provide space or not sat there at all. Absolute rude bastard!! I am totally outraged and want to report him but don't have his details.

Rant over.

You know what...
    That copper had probably had a pig of a shift and was totally knackered.
    You will of been one of many who pulled up asking the same.

He may well of been late going home and just had a blasting off his wife.
    He may of just heard some dreadful news etc.

Yes he was rude but just let it go.
    We all say stuff that is deemed rude at times.
    Yes you were offended but in the big picture of it all it means nothing surely?
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have spoke to you the same way, you can't stop on a roundabout to ask for directions and it's not his problem - use a map.
  • CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Rant over.

But he's right use a Map, maybe even a Tom Tom or even an App on your phone there are so many ways these days you don't need to ask a Policeman. :cool:
  • wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    I would have spoke to you the same way, you can't stop on a roundabout to ask for directions and it's not his problem - use a map.

But surely the point is that a police officer, a public servant, needs to be able to deal with the public in a professional manner at all times.

What he said is not necessarily the issue, its the way he said it that deserves a complaint.

He could have quite easily said "Sorry but you can't stop here, and unfortunately I can't give you any directions, you may wish to try a map". Same outcome, but more professional.
  • LowLifeLowLife Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    You seriously want to report a police officer for that????

For Christ's sake get a life and move on!
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    wench wrote: »
    But surely the point is that a police officer, a public servant, needs to be able to deal with the public in a professional manner at all times.

What he said is not necessarily the issue, its the way he said it that deserves a complaint.

He could have quite easily said "Sorry but you can't stop here, and unfortunately I can't give you any directions, you may wish to try a map". Same outcome, but more professional.

I imagine the cop would probably argue that he was simply dealing with the situation quickly in order to get the driver to vacate a potentially hazardous location as quickly as possible.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Report him for not treating you in the way you wanted to be treated, but don't be surprised to find yourself being pulled up in the car for checks, minor transgressions etc.
  • FrightfulBoarFrightfulBoar Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about not wasting more taxpayer money and police time and stop being such a big baby. He's not your personal GPS!
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck with that.
    When I was around 14 or 15 I was walking slowly along a road with 2 friends, I was walking slowly as I had put my back out and it hurt like crazy if I tried to move fast.
    Suddenly, on the other side of the road, a policeman appeared with a German shepherd dog.
    My two alleged friends burst into, "One man and his dog, went to mow a meadow," a very old song.
    The cop, visibly annoyed, came quickly over to our side of the street, my heroic friends gave an imitation of Usain Bolt and disappeared into the distance.
    The cop said, "Think you're funny do you?" I replied truthfully, "I didn't sing it, mate." He gave me a back hander with his gloved hand, which stung me a bit and brought a small trickle of blood from the area near my eye, "I'm not your f****ng mate," he said, "now p*ss off."
    When I got home my mother went ballistic, thinking that I'd been in a fight.
    When I told them what had occurred my Dad took me to the nearest police station to report it. This was like a scene from "Carry on getting Confused", as Dad still hadn't mastered English well, but he'd retained his Gallic temper, and I learnt a few new French swear words that evening. The cops were telling me to tell him to calm down, and he was telling me to tell the cops that was going to kill the 'salop' who'd hit his son. I knew enough to not translate that.
    I didn't have the cop's name or number, but the station sergeant said, "Give me the names of the two boys that were with you and I'll look into it."
    Becoming known as a grass is lower down the list than being a paedophile in London, so that is where it ended.
  • wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I imagine the cop would probably argue that he was simply dealing with the situation quickly in order to get the driver to vacate a potentially hazardous location as quickly as possible.

replace the word "move away, you can't stop here" with "sorry, you can't stop here" and you have a shorter sentence in a far mor professional manner.

Time is no excuse for rudeness.
  • jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,634
    Forum Member
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Report him for not treating you in the way you wanted to be treated, but don't be surprised to find yourself being pulled up in the car for checks, minor transgressions etc.

Yes, pulled up at every opportunity but treated with the utmost respect every time. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So why did he sit there when its obvious drivers are going to ask him questions. The flooding was miles down the road. He must have know that's what drivers would do. If he had had such a bad shift he shouldn't have put himself in that position.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Grow up man. He was rude at you because he could be. Move on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you were on your way to work, surely the area wasn't that unknown to you. I know of 4 routes to work should one be flooded.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck with that.
    When I was around 14 or 15 I was walking slowly along a road with 2 friends, I was walking slowly as I had put my back out and it hurt like crazy if I tried to move fast.
    Suddenly, on the other side of the road, a policeman appeared with a German shepherd dog.
    My two alleged friends burst into, "One man and his dog, went to mow a meadow," a very old song.
    The cop, visibly annoyed, came quickly over to our side of the street, my heroic friends gave an imitation of Usain Bolt and disappeared into the distance.
    The cop said, "Think you're funny do you?" I replied truthfully, "I didn't sing it, mate." He gave me a back hander with his gloved hand, which stung me a bit and brought a small trickle of blood from the area near my eye, "I'm not your f****ng mate," he said, "now p*ss off."
    When I got home my mother went ballistic, thinking that I'd been in a fight.
    When I told them what had occurred my Dad took me to the nearest police station to report it. This was like a scene from "Carry on getting Confused", as Dad still hadn't mastered English well, but he'd retained his Gallic temper, and I learnt a few new French swear words that evening. The cops were telling me to tell him to calm down, and he was telling me to tell the cops that was going to kill the 'salop' who'd hit his son. I knew enough to not translate that.
    I didn't have the cop's name or number, but the station sergeant said, "Give me the names of the two boys that were with you and I'll look into it."
    Becoming known as a grass is lower down the list than being a paedophile in London, so that is where it ended.

cool story bro
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Reminds me of the time I was stopped by a couple of plain clothes PCOs. I very kindly let a customer borrow my token for a trolley and hung around outside the shop so I could get it back, unaware that the said PCO's were watching.
    It was only as I was walking home that they pulled me over for an explaination. As I don't know much about the job I can't say whether they were being professional or not but their attitude was decent and civil and they accepted my explanation as bein 100%
    honest genuine.

Next time something like that happens, I might start refusing to do any favours for cusotmers

Question:-
    Why is it when there's something really serious or major going on, EG a football match and there'sa at least five coppers outside every pub or bar but most of the time you never see them unless they're driving round in vans or cars?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So why did he sit there when its obvious drivers are going to ask him questions. The flooding was miles down the road. He must have know that's what drivers would do. If he had had such a bad shift he shouldn't have put himself in that position.

to stop people moving the cones aside and driving down the road obviously.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Rant over.

feel free to make a complaint, but remember you could also be reported for a road traffic violation.... stopping on a roundabout and at the very least driving without due care and attention.

and he wasn't inviting questions, unless he was wearing a sign saying "please ask me for directions".

the real situation here is that YOU are outraged at having to take a different route and are looking to vent that on to someone else.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's a lot less problematic these days complaining about a policeman than it used to be, but it's still best left for being framed for murder, or being beaten to a pulp
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I was outraged at being spoken to rudely by a public servant actually. I doubt he would have said what he said to an old lady or gentleman. Its ignorance such as his that gives the police a bad name and its the start of the slippery slope that ends with cases like the guy who was pushed at the London Riots or the shooting of that Menezes fella.
  • Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh for god's sake get a life. You stopped on a roundabout and he told you off.

If that is something you get "totally outraged" about then I hope you never have to deal with anything that is actually of a serious nature.
This discussion has been closed.