Matt Cardle checks into Londons Priory

semimintedsemiminted Posts: 3,354
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Another poor victim of FAME

Comments

• fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    What a shame. He seemed a decent enough bloke on the surface. I hope he gets well soon.
  • semimintedsemiminted Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/matt-cardle-rehab-x-factor-2972694

allegedly becoming hooked on prescription pills temazepam and Valium,
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the lad. Hope his girlfriend Mel C will stand by him.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    semiminted wrote: »

Sadly, addiction to both is very common and not just amongst the famous
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something else better kept private than splashed over the gutter press.
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Shame as he seems a fairly nice bloke. The cynical part of me wonders if this has been timed to generate a bit of interest in his upcoming tour.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that he seems a decent enough bloke, I wish him better health soon.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope he gets the treatment he needs ...he always appears to be a nice bloke
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the article is correct, he's in for a rough time. Withdrawal from benzos is notoriously difficult, which is why most doctors recommend tapering rather than cold turkey. 28 days is not enough time to taper properly or to finish withdrawal unless he's only been using small amounts of these drugs. I wouldn't wish drug addiction on my worst enemy.
  • Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a bit of a shock really. When I read the headline for some reason I confused Matt Cardle with James Arthur and couldn't see why people's comments contained such surprise (think James Arthur's bed at The Priory is on permanent stand-by). When I realised my mistake like everyone else I was pretty shocked and saddened. He always comes across as such a grounded laid back guy. Guess none of us really know what goes on behind the net curtains in anyone's life. Addiction is sometimes seen as just a weakness but I think it takes a strong person, particularly in the public eye, to acknowledge they have a problem and try to sort it out. Would reiterate the comments made by other people that he is in the right place to get the help he needs and I hope he is soon on the road to recovery.
  • ZentonZenton Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its always "prescription" drugs that celebrities get addicted to, if that makes it anymore acceptable than illegal drugs. I wish Matt well but I've noticed this trend more and more.

Anyhow, I hope he makes a speedy and full recovery.
  • Nobby BurtonNobby Burton Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zenton wrote: »
    Its always "prescription" drugs that celebrities get addicted to, if that makes it anymore acceptable than illegal drugs. I wish Matt well but I've noticed this trend more and more.

I usually suspect it's harder drugs, but they cut a deal with the papers
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Prescription drugs are just as dangerous as illegal drugs. Temazepam and valium are especially lethally addictive. I hope he gets off them soon.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know what The Mirror have in their code on their website, but every time I click on a link for their site it causes my mouse cursor to freeze for about 10 seconds.
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's quite a shock as he seemed really upbeat when I last saw him on the media circuit, promoting Loving You with Mel C. Just shows you never know what someone is really going through. My best wishes to him - hope he'll be okay.
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anyone who takes Valium becomes addicted to them after a time!, indeed i took them myself when i was in my late 20's, My dad died suddenly when i was 6 months pregnant i had not long moved to a 'new town' so was away from the rest of my family, I held in the emotion so as not to harm the baby, but of course it harmed me in the end because once she was born after a couple of months i was a complete nervous wreck!, but there is no talk of 'going into the priory' for the normal person!... you work with your doctor to gradually wean yourself off once you are ready to!...
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Zenton wrote: »

It does make you wonder why prescriptions for these drugs seem to be so readily given out. These stories make it seem like the only difference between a drug dealer and a (probably private) doctor is the number of years spent in education.
  • LinseyapLinseyap Posts: 5,748
    Forum Member
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    It does make you wonder why prescriptions for these drugs seem to be so readily given out. These stories make it seem like the only difference between a drug dealer and a (probably private) doctor is the number of years spent in education.

Exactly, they seem pretty dangerous.

To anyone suspecting it's actually hard drugs, I seriously doubt it. Matt has worked his whole life to get to where he is, he's not going to mess it up now. Plus he hasn't even had a break in the last 3 years, he works nearly everyday and was working around the clock to get his latest album out. It completely makes sense that he started taking something to calm him stress levels. I was shocked when I first heard but after thinking about it it does add up.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prescription drugs are just as dangerous as illegal drugs. Temazepam and valium are especially lethally addictive. I hope he gets off them soon.

My friends dad got hooked on Temazepam at the age of 70 after a back injury caused him trouble sleeping. It really can happen to anyone and I wish Matt well.
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    should have stuck to decorating, far less stressful
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    All hard drugs are a variation of prescription drugs. Diamorphine is a form of heroin
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Linseyap wrote: »
    Exactly, they seem pretty dangerous.

To anyone suspecting it's actually hard drugs, I seriously doubt it. Matt has worked his whole life to get to where he is, he's not going to mess it up now. Plus he hasn't even had a break in the last 3 years, he works nearly everyday and was working around the clock to get his latest album out. It completely makes sense that he started taking something to calm him stress levels. I was shocked when I first heard but after thinking about it it does add up.

Just speaking generally O/T and playing devil's advocate but people in entertainment often use hard drugs in the dire hope they DON'T mess up. Hard drugs can hide a multitude of problems and are so easy to get hold of.

Hard-working dedicated people use hard drugs. Legends use hard drugs, and they often use hard drugs because they don't get a breather and are overworked.

The main thing is, whatever Matt's addiction (he may well be telling the truth and it is prescription drugs only), it's bad news and he's getting the professional help he needs. One can only wish him well.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Define hard, because coke and to a lesser extent heroin (smoked, not slammed) are pretty weak compared to some of the higher end prescriptions. The reason they are becoming more common is they are by the nature easier to get hold of, or that they dont carry the same crimes as the "illegal"drugs.

Besides, the truly powerful things to abuse would be solvents, but they are also the most likely to kill you.

I think a lot of people misunderstand what a lot of drugs do to a person, but once you do understand to some degree, 1 month is not even remotely long enough. Just think of drug abuse as a self medicated cure of sorts, you have to fix the root cause, not the drug use. Once you have the root cause sorted, drugs are off the table as well.
  • semimintedsemiminted Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt has tweeted his aim to recover and even though he has a tour this year ok it may promote it more but he would not complete such a schedule unless he was as fit as possible to do so