3 years to before the death of the lib dems

mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
Forum Member
although to be fair they are the living dead now.no flowers by request

Comments

• LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Plenty of time for things to totally change. That's a long time in politics.
  • mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    hopefully no matter what changes happen the public will never forgive their act of trechery
    Forum Member
    mrblank wrote: »
    hopefully no matter what changes happen the public will never forgive their act of trechery

So what are people who live in seats, like the one I'm in, where the only real competition to the incumbent Tory has been a Lib Dem? There is absolutely no way that enough people would move to Labour, and I can't see myself voting for them either, not after their last time in government.

I guess I'm going to either not vote or vote for a smaller party and just give up any chance of my vote meaning anything. Seems like a rather poor version of democracy to me.
  • Drunken ScouserDrunken Scouser Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »

While 3 years is an extremely long time, I cannot for the life of me see how the support they've lost to Labour will ever return. These people now see a vote for the Lib Dems as essentially a vote for the Tory party they tribally loathe. Lib Dems are whistling in the wind if they think they can win these votes back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there will be a shift back to basics and a rebranding of The Liberal Party. Nobody knows what the Lib-Dems are - now less than ever.

They need to start again from scratch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Backing the party that acheived the most votes is treachery?

I think you will find that reports of the death of the Lib Dems will prove to be over exagerated.
    Forum Member
    jackbell wrote: »
    I think there will be a shift back to basics and a rebranding of The Liberal Party. Nobody knows what the Lib-Dems are - now less than ever.

They need to start again from scratch.

It would certainly fit with their recent historical pattern. I can see some defections to Labour if things don't improve for them. The part of the party that has never been that happy with joining up with the Tories won't stay quiet forever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While 3 years is an extremely long time, I cannot for the life of me see how the support they've lost to Labour will ever return. These people now see a vote for the Lib Dems as essentially a vote for the Tory party they tribally loathe. Lib Dems are whistling in the wind if they think they can win these votes back.

They will benefit in Tory/Labour marginals though where they will gain votes to keep Labour out precisely because they did the honourable thing and backed the largest party. It is mid term - parties in mid term always get hit unless you are Labour in opposition and lose (out to) Respect.:D

When it comes to the prospect of a Milliband - Balls ticket voters will come to their senses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would certainly fit with their recent historical pattern. I can see some defections to Labour if things don't improve for them. The part of the party that has never been that happy with joining up with the Tories won't stay quiet forever.

Whilst the part of the party that detests Labour more than the Tories will be reasonably content and they will probably pick up tactical Tory votes in Lab/Lib marginals. Thats the thing with a centre party they can lose on the one side and gain on another,
    Forum Member
    C19th Fox wrote: »
    They will benefit in Tory/Labour marginals though where they will gain votes to keep Labour out precisely because they did the honourable thing and backed the largest party. It is mid term - parties in mid term always get hit unless you are Labour in opposition and lose (out to) Respect.:D

When it comes to the prospect of a Milliband - Balls ticket voters will come to their senses.

After 3 more years of the Tories I think that Labour will pick up plenty of votes. It really depends on whether the economy picks up. There are a lot of very pissed off young people out there at the moment, but historically they've just not bothered to vote at all. If they could be persuaded to use their votes then the Tories are in real trouble.
  • Drunken ScouserDrunken Scouser Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C19th Fox wrote: »

As I said, keep whistling. :)
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

Exactly.

I remember at the time of the Iraq war - all those left wingers moving to the Lib Dems and saying they would never vote Labour again. Funny that - it didn't take them long to get over that.

If people can forgive Labour for starting an illegal war that led to the death of over 100,000+ Iraqi civilians maybe one day in the near future the Lib Dems will get forgiven over tuition fees and pasty taxes and recover support. Cos the British people have very short memories.

As for the death of the Lib Dems - well the Liberals have been around for nearly 200 years. In the 1950s they had less than 5 seats. They've survived far worse than this!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    Not in my area they're not.

Despite him pricking about with the pensions, Steve Webb does some wonderful work for the community.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thre surge to the Lib Dems before the election came to nothing, so it's not illogical to conclude the surge away from them will arrive at a similar destination.
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    Thre surge to the Lib Dems before the election came to nothing, so it's not illogical to conclude the surge away from them will arrive at a similar destination.

of course ironic after all the hype they fought a lousy campaign it was lousy because a campaign is judged on the outcome
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    After 3 more years of the Tories I think that Labour will pick up plenty of votes. It really depends on whether the economy picks up. There are a lot of very pissed off young people out there at the moment, but historically they've just not bothered to vote at all. If they could be persuaded to use their votes then the Tories are in real trouble.

Oh yes.

The student vote didn't even come out last time, but they are the ones who are now complaining the loudest.

One thing is for certain, the LibDem capitulation is not going to hand votes to the party they capitulated to.

All Labour has to do is signal that it'll axe tuition fees, and the next election could become *very* interesting.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What "act of trechery"?
    Forum Member
    David Tee wrote: »
    What "act of trechery"?

jumping into to bed with the wicked torys
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jumping into to bed with the wicked torys

That was two years ago. Way to hold a grudge.

I assume you did vote for the LD's?
    Forum Member
    David Tee wrote: »
    That was two years ago. Way to hold a grudge.

I assume you did vote for the LD's?

yes something i bitterly regret
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes something i bitterly regret

Why? Personally I think that without their influence the cuts would have been deeper, the lowest paid would not have been taken out of tax and any number of different plans (I.e. NHS) would have been structured very differently.

The Lib-Dems are a moderating influence on the Tories.
    Forum Member
    the latest opinion polls dont back you up i guess your one of the 8%
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the latest opinion polls dont back you up i guess your one of the 8%

I'm not interested in the opinion polls. I was asking for your opinion and why you regret voting for the Lib -Dems.

Don't you think they've been a moderating influence?
    Forum Member
    no they are the torys puppets
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Be very interesting to hear how the Lib Dems view Nick Clegg in years to come.