PS4 and X1 in store purchases?

dazzy71dazzy71 Posts: 511
Forum Member
✭✭
Bored at work and was wondering if anyone is taking the risk and not pre ordered and going for the in store purchase.
I know both Sony and MS have said they hope to have some that you can buy on day one, but with demand for both high( not getting into who’s got more demand)I cant see many being available.

I’m sure there will be some at our local supermarkets camping out pre 12am launch.

Comments

• KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if I'm going to be getting it on release day as I plan on preordering the PS4 at the end of the month and hope that my local Game still have some, they should because they are still advertising the preorders. If I can't get one day one so be it but I hope I can get it before Christmas.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I preordered (/paid4upfront) my X1 (day1 / deadrising3 bundle) from shopto :cool: ... & I hope 2 pickup a PS4 from Argos either on launchday or when they get em in stock. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazzy71 wrote: »
    Bored at work and was wondering if anyone is taking the risk and not pre ordered and going for the in store purchase.
    I know both Sony and MS have said they hope to have some that you can buy on day one, but with demand for both high( not getting into who’s got more demand)I cant see many being available.

I’m sure there will be some at our local supermarkets camping out pre 12am launch.

Iv been advised that if you want a better chance of getting your hands on a console on the day then you should try the shops that you wouldnt traditionally think would sell one such as Smyths Toys for instance.

Demand will be high not only from the early adopters but also from the e-bay crowd who will be looking to make big money from the desperate people who didnt pre order / couldnt get a pre order and want one in time for christmas.

I have seen that people are already paying silly money to buy someones pre order from them on e-bay.
  • dazzy71dazzy71 Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iv been advised that if you want a better chance of getting your hands on a console on the day then you should try the shops that you wouldnt traditionally think would sell one such as Smyths Toys for instance.

Demand will be high not only from the early adopters but also from the e-bay crowd who will be looking to make big money from the desperate people who didnt pre order / couldnt get a pre order and want one in time for christmas.

I have seen that people are already paying silly money to buy someones pre order from them on e-bay.

Totally agree, think most people will think Asda or Tesco. But best best bet will be local smaller game shops. Mine near me reckons he'll have both on release day. He has been taking £20 deposits for pre orders and reckons that not everyone will want their pre order when it comes to paying out the full price.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I was in the staff room of a fairly big HMV the other day and they had a tally of PS4 and X1 pre orders on the wall and I'd say there was maybe 15 Xbox pre orders and 20 PS4 pre orders, I know there's still a month to go until release, but that's a lot lower than I was expecting (for both consoles) considering the popularity of the store, if the numbers don't shoot up quickly I'd actually say people may be alright picking them up instore on release day as it looks like most people have pre ordered online.

Semi-related, but they also had a COD Vs BF4 pre order tally and COD was absolutely trouncing BF4. COD had like 40+ and BF4 had 3 (yes, 3)...I know that doesn't mean it's indicative of the whole country but I'd say EA's hopes of BF4 being a COD killer are a pipe dream based on that.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally wouldn't have expected to see battlefield up there with cod numbers. I don't mean it in a bad way, but all the kiddies play cod. Anyone who actually plays bf knows bf is a bigger better game but it takes a little effort to learn to play it. I'm not sure I could go back to cod now. Also, you can still play bf3, a 2 year old game. Once the dlc stops with cod, its dropped like a hot spud and the hackers move in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Personally wouldn't have expected to see battlefield up there with cod numbers. I don't mean it in a bad way, but all the kiddies play cod. Anyone who actually plays bf knows bf is a bigger better game but it takes a little effort to learn to play it. I'm not sure I could go back to cod now. Also, you can still play bf3, a 2 year old game. Once the dlc stops with cod, its dropped like a hot spud and the hackers move in.

I've never played a Battlefield game as I've always been a COD fan but I haven't even played that for the last couple of years. However I did fire up COD4 the other week and found it really enjoyable, only seemed to have players who wanted to play "properly".

If I remember correctly a Battlefield game cam out on PS+ recently, I may check my download list and give it a shot at some point. I wouldn't mind actually trying it out.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've still got a stack of PS3 games that i've never played, so expect that i'll get round to getting my PS4 sometime in 2015 :)
  • dazzy71dazzy71 Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I was in the staff room of a fairly big HMV the other day and they had a tally of PS4 and X1 pre orders on the wall and I'd say there was maybe 15 Xbox pre orders and 20 PS4 pre orders, I know there's still a month to go until release, but that's a lot lower than I was expecting (for both consoles) considering the popularity of the store, if the numbers don't shoot up quickly I'd actually say people may be alright picking them up instore on release day as it looks like most people have pre ordered online.

Semi-related, but they also had a COD Vs BF4 pre order tally and COD was absolutely trouncing BF4. COD had like 40+ and BF4 had 3 (yes, 3)...I know that doesn't mean it's indicative of the whole country but I'd say EA's hopes of BF4 being a COD killer are a pipe dream based on that.

Not sure how high street HMV's work whether they have only certain numbers but online they sold out some time ago.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    dazzy71 wrote: »
    Not sure how high street HMV's work whether they have only certain numbers but online they sold out some time ago.

HMV have a website but I can't find anywhere on there that you can actually actually carry out an online purchase.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gds1972 wrote: »
    HMV have a website but I can't find anywhere on there that you can actually actually carry out an online purchase.

I'm surprised they've not gone the way of Woolies tbh.

edit: wtf? they are going bust sooner than i thought!
    welcome to hmv
    The whole team is working hard behind the scenes to bring you a new and improved website. Although you can't buy online this site shows you what's in-store now, what's coming up, and a selection of the special offers you can get your hands on in hmv stores. If you want to be the first to know about offers, releases, and what we're up to, you can sign up for email updates.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    gds1972 wrote: »
    I'm surprised they've not gone the way of Woolies tbh.

edit: wtf? they are going bust sooner than i thought!

I was actually informed the other day that HMV will be relaunching their website in the next few weeks and will be back to offering a full online shop, they're also re-introducing the HMV Pure rewards card, so it looks like they're actually on their way back up.
  • Ian KaneIan Kane Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure if I'm going to be getting it on release day as I plan on preordering the PS4 at the end of the month and hope that my local Game still have some, they should because they are still advertising the preorders. If I can't get one day one so be it but I hope I can get it before Christmas.

If you pre-order now you'll be in the second wave. The PS4 pre-orders sold out early August. The guy in my local game reckons just before Christmas for the second wave, if you're lucky. Because I missed the pre-order I've opted for an XBOX day one edition for now.

As for being in store I think supermarkets may have stock but that's sure to be eaten into by staff if they do. Any game shops who have any stock left will bundle it up to make a bigger profit I would imagine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ian Kane wrote: »
    If you pre-order now you'll be in the second wave. The PS4 pre-orders sold out early August. The guy in my local game reckons just before Christmas for the second wave, if you're lucky. Because I missed the pre-order I've opted for an XBOX day one edition for now.

As for being in store I think supermarkets may have stock but that's sure to be eaten into by staff if they do. Any game shops who have any stock left will bundle it up to make a bigger profit I would imagine.

This is totally true, I work at Game and we have been instructed that apart from the pre-ordered consoles and a few that will be sold as single units (so not as to get in trouble with office of fair trading) the rest will be sold as bundles both "Official Game Bundles, Killzone/forza etc" and bundles that we have made up ourselves that feature our own accessories which cannot be sold apart.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian Kane wrote: »

Yeah I was thinking that this would probably be the case but I'm in a small town and I'm hoping that not as many people will be able to be affording the console around here straight away and so may get lucky with being able to get it before Xmas. To be honest though I'm not overly fussed if I have to wait as there aren't many games at release I really want. More will come out in the new year and so I may have to wait until then anyway.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i was gonna see if i could pickup a PS4 @ launch from Argos but decided 2 preorder (&payupfront) the Killzone (with 12month PS+ sub) bundle via shopto ... just like my X1! ... much less hassle imo.:)