Ridiculous lack of choice with Apple

Comments

• swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    take your own advice as well. move on.

Not my advice I make no pretence to be morally superior or disinterested in petty arguments like some do ;)
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Not my advice I make no pretence to be morally superior or disinterested in petty arguments like some do ;)

I beg to differ

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=57411954&postcount=257

you win though. i accept you are morally superior and all your opinions are 100% correct. there, no need to continue now.
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    With iPhone you are pretty much guaranteed that if your phone is one of the latest two-three versions you will be able to run the latest OS. My husband has an Android phone (flagship phone 18 months ago) and it won't run anything over Android 2.3 (I think). He certainly cannot upgrade to Gingerbread or ICS.

I do though, think that iOS is looking a little dated now, and while the functionality is great I'd like a new, or at least updated UI.
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    I beg to differ

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=57411954&postcount=257

you win though. i accept you are morally superior and all your opinions are 100% correct. there, no need to continue now.

:confused: what was that supposed to show

I am to people like you, worst type of forum poster nothing worst than people trying to portray themselves as something they clearly are not.

Clearly not understood what I said did you I at least am happy to admit I will debate a point even if it is sometimes silly.

Any way wasted enough time on the likes of you boring me now.
    Forum Member
    Pretinama wrote: »
    With iPhone you are pretty much guaranteed that if your phone is one of the latest two-three versions you will be able to run the latest OS. My husband has an Android phone (flagship phone 18 months ago) and it won't run anything over Android 2.3 (I think). He certainly cannot upgrade to Gingerbread or ICS.

I do though, think that iOS is looking a little dated now, and while the functionality is great I'd like a new, or at least updated UI.

2.3 is gingerbread and just because you cant update through official channels doesnt make your phone defunct.
  • daleski75daleski75 Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Totally agree with you iOS does need an overhaul with the UI and for a lot of older devices with android you can put the latest OS on them by using cyanogenmod or visiting xda-developers.

I'm an apple fan and also an android fan so not biased towards one or the other and each OS has its own merits.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2.3 is gingerbread and just because you cant update through official channels doesnt make your phone defunct.

No it doesn't make the phone defunct but it is bit of a kick in the teeth that a flagship phone which is more than 12 months old will possibly never run the latest ICS.
    Forum Member

Then he must be on 2.2 then. My bad.

I agree that just because your phone doesn't run the latest version of the OS it isn't defunct. But I would expect a phone that's under two years old to run the latest OS. Officially. My iPhone 4 does, as does the iPhone 3GS. If you cannot upgrade through official supported channels it's not really worth it in my view.

The point I am making is that you may well have more choice of handsets with Android (clearly you do). But this doesn't mean that they are all supported for the life of the handset.

[edit]

While I am an Apple fan (obv) I do like Android and Google, and use a lot of their services. I am kinda tempted by ICS and would like to give it a go. But I don't want to make a £400 investment in a phone for it to be potentially incapable of running whatever comes next. That's a shame as I'd actually give Android a go if I could find a nice ICS doable phone that was relatively cheap.
    Forum Member
    daleski75 wrote: »
    No it doesn't make the phone defunct but it is bit of a kick in the teeth that a flagship phone which is more than 12 months old will possibly never run the latest ICS.

I agree that just because your phone doesn't run the latest version of the OS it isn't defunct. But I would expect a phone that's under two years old to run the latest OS. Officially. My iPhone 4 does, as does the iPhone 3GS. If you cannot upgrade through official supported channels it's not really worth it in my view.

The point I am making is that you amy well have more choice of handsets with Android (clearly you do). But this doesn't mean that they are all supported for the life of the handset.

No not really there are so many phones produced depends on what version of android it was released with, no phone company will support phones for ever just not practical.

What phone is it then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The point I am making is that you may well have more choice of handsets with Android (clearly you do). But this doesn't mean that they are all supported for the life of the handset.

[edit]

While I am an Apple fan (obv) I do like Android and Google, and use a lot of their services. I am kinda tempted by ICS and would like to give it a go. But I don't want to make a £400 investment in a phone for it to be potentially incapable of running whatever comes next. That's a shame as I'd actually give Android a go if I could find a nice ICS doable phone that was relatively cheap.

The best bet if you want to get an android phone which will be supported for a while in android terms at least would be the galaxy nexus.

This runs stock ICS and should be good for a couple of years upgrade wise and maybe available for around 400 now.
    Forum Member
    No not really there are so many phones produced depends on what version of android it was released with, no phone company will support phones for ever just not practical.

What phone is it then?

No company will support phones forever. But with Apple you can be fairly certain that they'll support 2-3 generations. So the 3GS, 4 and 4S are supported now. I imagine that when the iPhone 5 comes out they will drop 3GS support. But you can have had a 3GS for a few years and still run iOS5.

My OH has an HTC phone. Don't know the model, possibly "desire"? It was the "latest" phone when he got it and he's had it around 18 months I think? He got it a bit before I got my iPhone 4.

But I do think that iOS is due a UI update. I'd like a "flatter" UI with a bit less glass/shiny.
    Forum Member
    No company will support phones forever. But with Apple you can be fairly certain that they'll support 2-3 generations. So the 3GS, 4 and 4S are supported now. I imagine that when the iPhone 5 comes out they will drop 3GS support. But you can have had a 3GS for a few years and still run iOS5.

My OH has an HTC phone. Don't know the model, possibly "desire"? It was the "latest" phone when he got it and he's had it around 18 months I think? He got it a bit before I got my iPhone 4.

But I do think that iOS is due a UI update. I'd like a "flatter" UI with a bit less glass/shiny.

not quite that simple though is it ios5 is not the same as on the 4s and lots of people are not too happy with the result. Maybe not as bad as when ios4 went on to the 3g but upgrading older models for the sake of it is not always the best idea.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP here. Well I am pleased to have provoked some friendly debate, lol.

Actually I just fed up if Apple fan boys putting anti Android threads on here. For me I love choice. I get that with Android and I love flashing new ROMs. I am typing this on my SE Arc running ICS with Chrome browser (great browser by the way) all of which have been made available thanks to the efforts of developers. For me Apple is too locked down but I can fully appreciate that A: they are the ideal phones for lots of people, particularly those who want something that needs minimal tech know how and B: I wouldn't have got into phones at all if the iPhone hadn't come along because before 2007 all phones were absolutely crap
    Nokia N95 anyone? Terrible piece of junk that was badly made.
  • TalizmanTalizman Posts: 2,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    Nokia N95 anyone? Terrible piece of junk that was badly made.

Hahahaha
  • The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    In what way?

The s2 stock browser i found much faster than Safari...

Doesn't that have some Samsung tweaks to it though?

Safari seems faster and has a better UI to me, mostly the tab part.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Doesn't that have some Samsung tweaks to it though?

Safari seems faster and has a better UI to me, mostly the tab part.

Yup, they slightly tweak it.

Using my 4S just now the S2 deffo feels faster though in rendering pages. UI, they look pretty much the same and the tabs actually annoy me lol
  • Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,159
    Forum Member

One of the things with apples Iphone series is that apple control everything, from manufacturing ( all be it outsourced) the devices, designing them, and then designing and producing the software.
    With android things are somewhat different, google supplies the software, and other companies manufacture the hardware to their own specification on top of that the equipment manufacturers for example Sony, LG, Samsung, HTC, Motorola and so on often put their customised adaptations of googles android OS onto the phone, three that spring to mind are Smasungs touchwiz, HTCs Sense, motorolas motoblur, and so on.

So with google pushing out newer versions of android, each handset manufacturer will then want to add their own twist on the basic android OS before its pushed out to handsets which in turn requires in house testing to make sure that its relativly bug free.
    But with the pace that some manufacturers are pushing out new android devices why should they support an old model, when it would be far more proffitable to drop support, and concentraste on the newest shiny thing.
    HTC for instance have launched numerous android devices since the desire first appeared on the shelves, apple on the other hand have only produced ( roughly ) two phones.

So if your lumbered with a decent spec android device, thats not receiveing any manufacturer attention, and you want the latest features, or maybe better battery life, maybe even just stock android without any HTC sense/Samsung touchwizz,or motorola blur, or even a more stable phone the only thing left to do is go down the custom Rom road.
    and theres loads of choice available out there, find yourself a stable release, and its like having a new phone, better, faster, up to date, and more features and functions.

interested? take a look on the xda developers website and forums, follow the instructions carefuly and you will be surprised with just how good your phone can be, and the sheer amount of choice out there, you can find it at http://www.xda-developers.com/ go to the forums and look through them, for your device the bit on custom roms is titled android development.

As for my expeiriences, i bought a Motorola defy with a poor version of android ( 2.1 ecclair ) and motorolas own battery driaining and sluggish moto blur sfotware, motorol updated that to 2.2 froyo) again with the slow and sluggish moto blur, and then i updated it to cyanogen mod 7, android 2.3.5 ( gingerbread) said goodbye to moto blur and helo to a fast and reasponsive phone with signifficantly fewer bugs.
    there are also a few android 4.0.4 beta roms out there for the defy, that are almost usable day to day.
  • Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »
    On my Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc I have the choice of many different variations of Android from the stock 2.3.4 to Cyanogen Mod 7 & 9 to MIUI to the modified beta releases of ICS. My friends with iPhones have none of this choice and are stuck with identical clone phones. Sony even help the Android developers by giving them handsets. So come on Apple do the decent thing and "let your people go". I am sure there are many iPhone users who are craving something different.

I've done the whole custom roms and overclocking. Its fun, its interesting, but dont assume that everyone wants to do that...its not as if anyone actually needs to.

NO, please Apple DONT "let your people go"...thats what Android is for:D
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member

Apple release one phone per year and maintain software versions on it for a few years (although some features arent supported on older phones).

Google release one phone per year and maintain software versions on it for a few years. With Google its the Nexus range.

However with Android you also get dozens of other phones released. You wont necessarily get all the software updates but you will get the functionality that was there when you purchased it.

If you want the latest versions on Android stick with the Nexus phones. If you would prefer bigger/smaller/pinker/cheaper phones (etc) then you have the choice to go for the other Android models.
    Forum Member
    Richard_T wrote: »
    One of the things with apples Iphone series is that apple control everything, from manufacturing ( all be it outsourced) the devices, designing them, and then designing and producing the software. With android things are somewhat different... [snip]

To be honest, I am more interested in just using a phone. I am not interested in custom ROMs, flashing a phone, jail breaking it etc. I am interested in using a phone.

I'd *like* to give Android a go but I don't want to buy a phone that won't run the latest OS six months down the line.

Apple do control the whole process. That's not necessarily a bad thing; you get consistency and simplicity of use. For a lot of people that's just what they want. Android is different and while I think the OS is great (and I do like what I have seen of ICS) I worry that if I get the latest Android phone, it'll not be upgradeable for the whole contract period. That to me is a bad thing.

But it's really just about what you want to use. It's just a phone at the end of the day.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd *like* to give Android a go but I don't want to buy a phone that won't run the latest OS six months down the line.

Buy a Nexus device then. The Nexus S was released in 2010 yet it was the first device after the Galaxy Nexus to get Ice Cream Sandwich...
  • Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    To be honest, I am more interested in just using a phone. I am not interested in custom ROMs, flashing a phone, jail breaking it etc. I am interested in using a phone.

Apple do control the whole process. That's not necessarily a bad thing; you get consistency and simplicity of use. For a lot of people that's just what they want. Android is different and while I think the OS is great (and I do like what I have seen of ICS) I worry that if I get the latest Android phone, it'll not be upgradeable for the whole contract period. That to me is a bad thing.

But it's really just about what you want to use. It's just a phone at the end of the day.

Stick with the iPhone. I have yet to see an Android OS (regardless of carrier or manufacturer overlays and customisations) thats is as slick as iOS. Everyone says you can "make" them the same, but its a very poor imitation if you ask me.
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    Some people just love finding faults with everything, just to start a fanboy war YAWN!!!!
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve™ wrote: »
    Stick with the iPhone. I have yet to see an Android OS (regardless of carrier or manufacturer overlays and customisations) thats is as slick as iOS. Everyone says you can "make" them the same, but its a very poor imitation if you ask me.

ICS has a better, prettier UI and more functionality than iOS so no.
  • TalizmanTalizman Posts: 2,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    ICS has a better, prettier UI and more functionality than iOS so no.

Those words are subjective though. Other people may not share your definitions of 'better' and 'prettier'.

Don't get me wrong, you may well have many people agreeing with you but I don't usually use opinions as a true comparison.