Options

Is plasma screen burn really an issue?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Unless you clarify, I'm not going hunting for yet more manuals, I know what I'd find in them anyway and so, I suspect, do you.

Nothing to clarify - LCD TV's don't suffer from image retention or screen burn - 'if', as you claim, those particular monitors do, then it's a design defect on those monitors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    1saintly wrote: »

Most of which are Plasma :p, and many of the LCD images are dirt inside the screen.
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as I've not seen any such faulty panels for a good few years now.

Well theres loads of faulty ones about now.
    'if', as you claim, those particular monitors do, then it's a design defect on those monitors.

Bunch of cowboys at http://www.iiyama.com/gb_en/
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Nothing to clarify - LCD TV's don't suffer from image retention or screen burn - 'if', as you claim, those particular monitors do, then it's a design defect on those monitors.

Ah so your answer is that iiyama produce defectively designed LCD monitors. O.... kay....

Do Sony produce defectively designed LCD/LED TVs? If not, why do they add at the bottom of their European Warranty:
    These guarantees do not cover:

Periodic maintenance and repair or parts replacement due to wear and tear (such as the backlight for LCD Monitors)
    Persistent image retention (burn-in) caused by constant projection of the same image or images.
    http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/warranty/general

I'd love to know, they don't appear to share your confidence anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah so your answer is that iiyama produce defectively designed LCD monitors. O.... kay....

Do Sony produce defectively designed LCD/LED TVs? If not, why do they add at the bottom of their European Warranty:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/warranty/general

I'd love to know, they don't appear to share your confidence anyway.

Presumably it's still left in from the CRT days?.

I've been presuming you actually know of lot's of cases of problems with iiyama monitors?, or are you just reading the 'get out clause' on an historical warranty card?.

Incidentally, as a Sony Service Agent,if I ever did come across such a 'fault' I would perfectly happily replace the screen under warranty - regardless of anything on the warranty card.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Presumably it's still left in from the CRT days?.

I've been presuming you actually know of lot's of cases of problems with iiyama monitors?, or are you just reading the 'get out clause' on an historical warranty card?.

Incidentally, as a Sony Service Agent,if I ever did come across such a 'fault' I would perfectly happily replace the screen under warranty - regardless of anything on the warranty card.

No idea about Sony - but they can certainly refuse to deal with it under guarantee if it does occur!

iiyama is a well respected mainstream LCD monitor manufacturer/vendor and their manuals all seem to state what I posted on the previous page, which is taken from here:

http://www.iiyama.com/gb_en/products/prolite-b2480hsu-1/6116.download page 3, Special Notes. It says the symptom (an afterimage of a screen displaying the same image for hours) is normal and does not indicate a problem, so presumably it can and does occur. In airport display monitors for example, or if people leave the same image or logo displayed at home for hours.

I agree though that it is unusual and as it does not seem to be permanent, it's not in the same league as plasma displays. I've never experienced image retention on my own iiyama LCD screen. Nor on my Panasonic plasma TV, come to think of it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No idea about Sony - but they can certainly refuse to deal with it under guarantee if it does occur!

I've NEVER had any queries or rejections from Sony, despite all faulty panels being returned to Sony Barcelona (and more lately Sony Ribeauville) for examination before they pay the warranty claims.

This is despite me happily changing Sony panels for even a single duff pixel, which is explicitly not covered in the warranty. Sony is a premium product, at a premium price, so even a single duff pixel isn't acceptable.
    I agree though that it is unusual and as it does not seem to be permanent, it's not in the same league as plasma displays. I've never experienced image retention on my own iiyama LCD screen. Nor on my Panasonic plasma TV, come to think of it!

So your posts claiming image retention on LCD monitors is purely fictional, and based solely on a warning in the instruction book (which may well be still there from the CRT days) :p

Screen burn on Plasma displays isn't as big a problem as it was, but it's still VERY important to be aware of it during the first few months while the screen burns in, and to be careful during that time.

My old plasma is well past any such concerns, and I happily leave it sat on a stationary image for extended periods :D

I wouldn't do that on a new Plasma though.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant! Does this mean that there's now a valid reason to sue TV channels for persisting with their wretched DOGs?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    Brilliant! Does this mean that there's now a valid reason to sue TV channels for persisting with their wretched DOGs?

So no issue with the VAST majority of TV's (the LCD's), and only an issue with VERY new plasma sets, and only if the DOG's are bright.

So doesn't seem much of a valid reason - although I'm with you in absolutely hating DOG's, and even more so in hating the supposed 'reason' they use them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So your posts claiming image retention on LCD monitors is purely fictional, and based solely on a warning in the instruction book (which may well be still there from the CRT days) :p

Based on a 2013 LCD screen-specific instruction books and a current warranty - and if it can't happen it shouldn't be there. If you think it's wrong, perhaps as a dealer you should report it as something that needs to be removed and see what reaction you get. ;)

Obviously the warnings could be aimed at particular types of usage, such as airport departure boards, but if that's the case their warning should be modified accordingly. Or just removed (down with all irritating over-the-top and often unfair self-protection, whether in warranties or otherwise).