Options

something missing?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    These episodes have the feel of the Specials about them. Something doesn't seem right about them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I have to agree that I think the series is missing a story arc to tie all these episodes together. I've enjoyed the last few series more because of them having the arc, but I can see why people got annoyed with it, as we were more beaten with it rather then told it.

Problem is that now there is no thread to make these episodes feel like a series and so much emphasis on story arc in the last 2 series, each one of these episodes could basically be put anywhere in any of the "pond" series. They would just be the stand alone episodes of that series.

Unfortunately these episodes haven't been the best stand alone ones either in my opinion, so it's kind of made it even more obvious for me. The writing has not exactly been the best. Just take the last few lines from Amy last night:
    ’It was when we realised something the Shakri never understood- what cubed actually means. The power of three.’ I actually groaned out loud for the first time ever at a Dr Who episode and I doubt I was the only one.

Still one of the best series on TV though and I know I've had a moan, but its definitely the best thing on a Saturday night by a long way.
  • Options
    marks thespotmarks thespot Posts: 2,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's all the "wibbley, wobbly, timey wimey" stuff, the resets & the hopping all over the place. There used to be a little of that but now its extremely complex & difficullt to follow. Or maybe that's just me! I used to feel confident I had it all straight in my head but now have difficulty getting it straight - thank heavens for this forum...
    Having said that, I do enjoy the episodes but the big picture is somewhat confused for me these days.
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    I've been struggling to find a simple way to describe what was wrong with the episode but I think I've found it.

It was three parts and they were too different and disconnected from each other - as if it was written in sections by three different people for three different audiences.

The early scenes with the flashbacks and "pond life" soppiness were Eastenders - boring

The mystical cubes and the apparent death of two billion people was Torchwood - interesting and tense

The unmasking of the villain and instant resolution was ScoobyDoo - childish drivel
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rawblue99 wrote: »

Just take the last few lines from Amy last night:
    ’It was when we realised something the Shakri never understood- what cubed actually means. The power of three.’ I actually groaned out loud for the first time ever at a Dr Who episode and I doubt I was the only one.

So you didn't groan at "Feel the love" or "I'm bringing you back to Earth" or "Ghostbusters!" or "We even have a sex life of sorts"?

Just off the top of my head - I could think of more if I tried:D
  • Options
    Forum Member

The unmasking of the villain and instant resolution was ScoobyDoo - childish drivel

That's hit the nail on the head for me. At no point have I felt that the main three characters have been in any really danger this series, so there is no tension or excitement as I know the doctor is going to resolve it there and then and everything will be fine again.
  • Options
    IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    Something missing? Yup - a decent show producer and decent scripts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So you didn't groan at "Feel the love" or "I'm bringing you back to Earth" or "Ghostbusters!" or "We even have a sex life of sorts"?

I think the groan was a culmination of all the bad one liners and that's the one that tipped me over the edge.

I'm now hearing rumors that Arnold schwarzenegger is thinking of auditioning to be the next doctor. ;)
  • Options
    Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I quite liked "Ghostbusters!" :D Which ep is "Feel the love" from?
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite liked "Ghostbusters!" :D Which ep is "Feel the love" from?

Fear Her. Rose says it at the end to the space-egg thingy (forgot it's name) as she throws it towards the Olympic torch.
  • Options
    Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fear Her. Rose says it at the end to the space-egg thingy (forgot it's name) as she throws it towards the Olympic torch.

Oh god, now I remember. Series 2 really had some awful episodes didn't it :( To be honest, I'm tempted to put "I believe in her!" into that category...
  • Options
    jks69jks69 Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Just to say - THANK YOU - thought I was alone in thinking this - you've all restored my love for this forum and for the ability to ask a question without being "shot down".
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    Hardly for the first time in the Moff tenure. As far back as The Lodger we saw that the Doctor and Amy had an unseen adventure (Space Florida).

You have misunderstood my meaning. Before the Moff's tenure "other" adventures have only been implied.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    When I heard series 7 was going to be more standalone eps, I wasn't at all sure I was going to enjoy it. I tend to like stories with more complexity than you can generally fit in 45 mins. For me it helps the suspension of disbelief when events connect and have consequences beyond the episode they're shown in.

With exception of the B plot problems of TPo3, I have enjoyed the 4 we've seen so far. Particularly PotD. I believe there will be consequences and linkage to that one! :)