How do you listen to your iPod?

Nicky_Byrne_FanNicky_Byrne_Fan Posts: 1,693
Forum Member
✭✭✭
MP3s and the iPod have changed the way people listen to music nowadays. For some (probably not most of us), music is no longer about albums, just individual songs.

So...

1. Do you just listen to random songs on shuffle?
2. Do you still listen to full albums on your iPod (and if so, on shuffle or in the intended song order)?
3. Do you listen to mainly playlists you make?

Myself, I mainly listen to all my songs on shuffle, as it prevents me from listening to the same songs over and over. This way, every once in while, a song comes and reminds me exactly why I loved that band. This is the same every day, unless I have recently bought a new album - then I will listen to that.

Just curious what others do.

Also, when you first bought your iPod, roughly how many albums a day did you upload to it?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I shuffle albums mostly.
    But sometimes shuffle songs and artists, if I want to listen to something different.
    I have never made a playlist.
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    I've got a Sony Walkman not an ipod

I still buy CDs so I just put the best tracks from all my CDs on it and usually listen an artist or an album at a time. Occasionally use shuffle just to hear songs that i may not have heard for a long time
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i mainly use the ipod to listen to albums. especially if it is a new cd that i have uploaded to it. in the dock it sounds better than on my cd player.

however, i do use the shuffle option quite a bit. mainly when it is on in the background.
  • GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shuffle is like the default option for me; it's always the first one I'll put on. If it's not shuffling anything I feel like listening to, then I'll change it to playlist/artist/album/genre.

When I first got my iPod, I already had tons of albums on CD so I just put them all on the computer and synced! I've had my iPod for about a year and a half now (kind of a latecomer I suppose? I used my Walkman up until then!). I haven't once bought an album off iTunes though, I still prefer the physical copy :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I make playlists, on shuffle, starting off with about ten songs and just add every song I want to hear when I want to hear it until the playlist gets to over 50 when I start over :D
  • HelbrownHelbrown Posts: 3,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have got various playlists set up for when I am travelling with the OH, at work, at the gym etc.

Mainly though, I listen to all my tracks in order. I know that this sound weird, but I have thousands of tracks on my PC including lots of versions of the same song, so I like to listen to them together to decide which ones I can do without. When I have got through the alphabet (currently on O) I may shuffle, but then again I have more new tracks that I need to compare.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always have my iPod & iTunes on shuffle
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Never had playlists or had it on shuffle but I usually pick the songs I want to listen to. I'm always changing songs :o It's partly because I tend to associate songs with people or places and if I happen to see a person or thing I associate a song with I select that particular song.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i make about 2 long playlists a month, usually called 8th may or 26th april (not very creative) with all of my current favourite songs and recent downloads.

i also have a gym playlist that i update and rearrange regularly.

i make playlists of specific artists that i fill with my favourite songs by them, like an extended greatest hits (pointer sisters is currently my most listened to one)

if i'm in the mood for a certain artist that i haven't made a playlist for then i'll listen to all their songs on shuffle through the artists option.

i make a point to rate all my favourite songs 4 or 5 star, and listen to them in 'my top rated' playlist quitre often, then i want to hear stuff i like but can't be bothered to decide what.

i never listen to all my songs on shuffle because i have over 10,000 and most of them won't correspond to any particular mood or occasion.

i rarely listen to albums on my ipod.
  • InsideSoapInsideSoap Posts: 5,981
    Forum Member
    I don't. I started using Spotify a few months ago and ended up buying premium and couldn't imagine going back to iTunes or my iPod. I used to just fill it with albums that I'd only ever listen to one or two songs on. With Spotify I've got a good few hundred playlists and actually listen to more music than I did with my iPod because I haven't got the hassle of downloading the music. I just make a playlist, make it offline and then can listen to it on my phone. To the people that are against paying for Spotify you actually end up saving money, for those that actually pay for music as well as downloading it. I still buy CDs occasionally but only by my favourite aritsts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I often will just listen to an album all the way through in the order intended, but I also make themed playlists for when the mood takes me (Morning, Songs I really should give another chance, songs I never used to like, etc.)
  • Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't listen to the sheeps ipod, I have a Sony Walkman, does everything an ipod does and more (I can record direct off the tv onto my mp3), don't assume everyone has an ipod just because most follow the apple trend even if the product is old technology in a trendy case of the same design, just the occasional component moved slightly.

Anyway, I listen to music through albums, never on shuffle (it never seems play my favourite songs), if I'm searching for a song by a particular artist but don't know want album it's on, then I'll go through songs or artists for that one track. I make playlists of songs for different things, but still mostly listen to albums.

And the first day I got my MP3, I just sync'd all my music over in one easy transfer - all my music is always on the HDD, and as soon as I buy new albums, always gets ripped onto HDD, through WMP. Always good to have a hard copy, file copy and then a copy on a device (and flash drive, but I like to makesure it's all backed up).
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I put mine straight on shuffle. Then I'll flick through the songs and finally pick one I want to listen to. Then I'll think of a song that I want to listen to, and rather than go back and manually choose it, I'll just skip through 100 songs on shuffle until I find it.

Yeah, a bit odd I know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh yeah, i use genius LOADS! i find it so amazing how it can choose 25 similar songs that invariably i'll want to listen to. how on earth does it work?

great for when you hear a great song and want to hear more like it but can't think of anything. thank you apple.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    I do listen to whole albums but only when I'm at home. I do playlists on my phone to take with me when I go out.

I make a Top 100 weekly playlist and I also keep like five or six other "work" playlists updated every couple of weeks that I rotate so that I can listen at work. I also have a collection of workout playlists for my little ipod Shuffles that I take to the gym. I always use shuffle.

When I first buy an album I tend to listen to it multiple times before I start picking out my favorite songs to add to the different playlists. I usually don't put whole albums on there; right now I only have one whole album on my phone which has been on there for over six months and I listen to it straight through from beginning to end a couple of times a day.

I've given up on the dream of ripping all of my CDs. I have too many and most of them are packed up in moving boxes for safe keeping. I've just gotten into the habit of rebuying my old stuff in mp3 format because it's easier than trying to unpack, rip & repack.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rarely listen to a full album at a time. I mostly just listen to my playlists, and usually the most recently added tracks one.
  • WolfGirl2WolfGirl2 Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    MP3s and the iPod have changed the way people listen to music nowadays. For some (probably not most of us), music is no longer about albums, just individual songs.

So...

1. Do you just listen to random songs on shuffle?
    2. Do you still listen to full albums on your iPod (and if so, on shuffle or in the intended song order)?
    3. Do you listen to mainly playlists you make?

Myself, I mainly listen to all my songs on shuffle, as it prevents me from listening to the same songs over and over. This way, every once in while, a song comes and reminds me exactly why I loved that band. This is the same every day, unless I have recently bought a new album - then I will listen to that.

Just curious what others do.

Also, when you first bought your iPod, roughly how many albums a day did you upload to it?

I'm just like you if I have recently downloaded new music I tend to listen to that loads once I get bored with these then I just put my IPod on shuffle.

What amazes me is that sometimes I put my IPod on shuffle but will feel a certain mood so want to hear a certain song and amazingly it will be the next track that plays its like it knows me!

Like the day Amy Winehouse died put my IPod on shuffle first song it played was Back To Black I was like woah and got a chill down my spine.

I rarely buy CD's anymore I basically download everything.
    I have a few playlists mainly so certain songs are in the same place and sometimes for a particular mood.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I listen to my ipod in order. When i mean order, i mean it's played in alphabetical order of the song so for example the first song on my ipod is About A Girl. I don't know what it is but i am not fond of Shuffle.
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have about 2000 songs on my iPod. I have a playlist called Playlist 1 that I put all of the songs I like and listen to often on, and just shuffle that. There's about 450 songs.

But if I'm on my laptop I put iTunes on shuffle.

Then sometimes I just listen to whole albums when I'm doing something like doing school work or cooking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I’ve got all kinds of playlists on my iPod for different moods that I’ll continually update as and when I add new songs. In addition I do have a “Right Here, Right Now” list that acts as my “current” one… I will update this with a list of around 50 songs that are either new (to my pod, not necessarily new music) or I have a fancy for listening to again. Naturally, after a couple of listens this gets dull so I’ll either update it or stick on a ready-made playlist to suit my mood. I also have a number of smart playlists (which are great if you can think of the right criteria), such as songs that I’ve not listened to in the last year but have a play count of at least 4, so it is something familiar that I like but I know I haven’t heard it for a while! I never stick the whole thing on shuffle as there are so many albums I stuck on there for the sake of it where I only know/like one or two songs (I need to motivate myself to listen to these albums and get rid of the tracks I’m indifferent to, but it takes time and a little bit of patience on my part). These days I only put individual songs on there, rather than whole albums.

Oh yes, and shuffle is the only way :)

I was definitely born to be in the mp3 generation… before I got my iPod it used to frustrate me having to pick out a CD when there were various songs from various artists that I fancied listening to on that particular morning. There are downsides to this style of listening to music… e.g. it’s easy to get bored of something quickly, whereas in previous decades, a music on an LP or cassette was probably more cherished, both from the physical purchase aspect and the “purposeful listening” aspect. Still, music is more available than ever and I think on the whole that is a good thing. I love the fact that I can now “Shazam” a track when I hear something groovy when I’m out and about. It acts as both an identifier and a reminder to download a certain track when I have the time to do so. That, and we are able to catch up on radio programmes, so if I’m listening in the car and don’t have chance to Shazam it, I can re-listen later and identify it then :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I still buy albums but generally listen on shuffle or listen to my own playlists. It's a real shame however because i'm not listening to the full album with the tracks in order (as the artist selected them). and I've not got much patience now, if i don't like the songs after 1 or 2 listens I rarely go back.

Before my ipod I'd listen to full albums over and over again, some of my all time favorites tracks are those that I didn't really like after 1 or 2 listens.
  • Havelock VetinariHavelock Vetinari Posts: 13,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    During the day I'll have it on shuffle for all my songs. I play it through a station so it gives a better sound. At night I set it to either playlists or a single artist, then on timer so I can drift off to sleep.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,104
    Forum Member
    I usually set in on shuffle for all songs.
    Sometimes if I'm in a certain type of mood I'll set it to shuffle a particular artist, album or even genre.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to listen to new songs I find and love over and over again, so I listen to "Recently Added" quite often as I know that in there will be those songs I am currently obsessed with.

Then I have a "Top 150" (which started as Top 50) which I have my favourite ever songs on. I sometimes listen to that.

At work I put it of Shuffle as it will be playing pretty much all day.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,916
    Forum Member
    I either pick songs out individually (usually flicking through the list of artists) or on shuffle.