Abi Alton, the definition of mediocrity

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was a breath of fresh air in a pool of OTT highnotes and pretty boys.

This. For me this season needs Abi to shake thing's up in the Saturday performance shows.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scamrasc wrote: »
    oh come on, she was very flat throughout a lot of the song. she wasn't by any means the only one, but her singing did leave a lot to be desired.
    (ftr - i like this style of singing when it's done right. but she's very very weak, and in tonight's performance, despite me hating that arrangement anyway, i was still listening to her on a technical level and she fumbled a lot of the notes).

Which is unforgiveable for a piano playing singer / songwriter type.....they are the type of vocalist who need to be note perfect.
  • DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice. I did actually (hence why I'm commenting :confused:) - it's one thing to comment about someone's pitch and whether they stay in key...which she was throughout the song...and it's another to dislike their style. Simply put I think loads of you dislike her style and are just saying she's out of tune.

FYI - she is actually the type of singer that I love which is why her performance was such a disappointment. She was out of tune no matter how much you insist otherwise.
  • staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daewos wrote: »
    FYI - she is actually the type of singer that I love which is why her performance was such a disappointment. She was out of tune no matter how much you insist otherwise.
    Well I actually disagree too and I thought she was in tune completely throughout the whole song. Her voice is beautiful and let's remember that she just had the piano as sound alongside her whereas all of the others had backing tracks and she still sounded better than everybody else put together. True talent right there.
  • si29uksi29uk Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By any objective assessment, she was not in tune throughout the song. It was pitchy too many times - but yet she got constant praise.

So there are only 2 explanations - either the judges/producers are following a script and are being deliberately blind to the imperfections of the performance for whatever reason or the broadcast sound made it appear that she was out of tune.

I know what I believe. I can only judge by what I heard - and she was constantly off the note she was trying to sing.

She can play the piano - fine. She can dress and act in a slightly kooky, hipster-ish sort of way - but she really didn't sing well.

Be a fan - if you like - but just by stating that it was perfect,doesn't make it true.
  • _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    si29uk wrote: »
    By any objective assessment, she was not in tune throughout the song. It was pitchy too many times - but yet she got constant praise.

So there are only 2 explanations - either the judges/producers are following a script and are being deliberately blind to the imperfections of the performance for whatever reason or the broadcast sound made it appear that she was out of tune.

I know what I believe. I can only judge by what I heard - and she was constantly off the note she was trying to sing.

She can play the piano - fine. She can dress and act in a slightly kooky, hipster-ish sort of way - but she really didn't sing well.

Be a fan - if you like - but just by stating that it was perfect,doesn't make it true.

I agree, I'm not usually that good at detecting if something's out of tune but I could definitely tell with her performance...
  • HughOSHughOS Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuning isn't a matter of opinion. It's an objective fact that she was out of tune a lot during the song.
  • staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HughOS wrote: »
    Tuning isn't a matter of opinion. It's an objective fact that she was out of tune a lot during the song.
    Think I'll take the judges' words over yours tbh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really?

The words provided by the producers to fit the narrative of the programme they are creating?

Oh well. Enjoy your innocence.

Abi was flat - no matter what you or a judge/producer says
  • DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member

:D Sorry I shouldn't laugh but that made me giggle. Considering the complete lack of critique from them all night why would anyone trust a word they say?
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good voice. Bad song choice.:(
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D Sorry I shouldn't laugh but that made me giggle. Considering the complete lack of critique from them all night why would anyone trust a word they say?

It's so obvious these days that they just read out the producers' script after every song (to the point where their comments often have no relation to the performance we've just seen)
  • quasimoronquasimoron Posts: 20,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abi was flat tonight, weak vocally and tuneless.How did she get past auditions is the question. She is going to be exposed every week and it will get worse. She is boring as well, I give her two weeks and she is out.
    A lovely girl I am sure but a crap singer and is not in any way original., Ellie Goulding has done it first and Abi is not in her league..She was not the only one Luke and Sam are no better. Gary will win this year or Louis, Nicole has not a hope. Her acts tonight were nothing special. Sharons Sam would blow any of them out of the water vocally
  • quasimoronquasimoron Posts: 20,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    It's so obvious these days that they just read out the producers' script after every song (to the point where their comments often have no relation to the performance we've just seen)

You could see Sharon looking down reading it during her comments. Either that or they are all tone deaf.
  • Arnold1Arnold1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you don't get it then maybe you need to replace the TV speakers you are using. Her voice is fantastically sweet when listened to using a good set of speakers. Get rid of those cheap plastic speakers you are all using. A good set is really not that expensive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arnold1 wrote: »
    If you don't get it then maybe you need to replace the TV speakers you are using. Her voice is fantastically sweet when listened to using a good set of speakers. Get rid of those cheap plastic speakers you are all using. A good set is really not that expensive.

There are none so blind as those who don't want to see

And clearly there are none so deaf as those who don't want to hear.

She sang flat. She wasn't alone in doing that. But it was not a flawless vocal - and to say otherwise is to make yourself look foolish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are none so blind as those who don't want to see

And clearly there are none so deaf as those who don't want to hear.

She sang flat. She wasn't alone in doing that. But it was not a flawless vocal - and to say otherwise is to make yourself look foolish.

It sounded fantastic to me. No need to put words into my mouth. I don't think any of them are flawless to be honest, but Abi's voice is fantastically sweet. I could listen to it all day. Can't say that about many of the others.

Looks like you are in the minority on this one because she is one of the favourites on this site.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arnold1 wrote: »
    It sounded fantastic to me. Looks like you are in the minority because she is one of the favourites on this site.

If she really is one of the favourites, she would be polling well - and that isn't the case.

If you look at the least favourite performance poll from last night, you will see she ranks very highly on there.

I get it that you and others like Abi - that is fine. But she was not in tune consistently in that performance.

I really don't give a damn who wins this scripted reality show - but I do care when poor singing is praised. And singing out of tune is poor singing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If she really is one of the favourites, she would be polling well - and that isn't the case.

If you look at the least favourite performance poll from last night, you will see she ranks very highly on there.

I get it that you and others like Abi - that is fine. But she was not in tune consistently in that performance.

I really don't give a damn who wins this scripted reality show - but I do care when poor singing is praised. And singing out of tune is poor singing.

What a negative soul you are looking at the LEAST favourite polls and not mentioning the favourite polls. She's third in the poll for favourite singer.
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not suited to X Factor really. She should try and last a few more weeks for extra publicity and then try to get off the show via the voting. So she isn't made to do a Michael Jackson song or something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no personal preference for any contestant. What what I saw and heard tonight, it is not a strong year.

But the thing that really detracts from this (and other) TV competitions involving judges is the way that the comments can be inconsistent.

Praise where praise is due is fine - but when there are flaws, they should be pointed it.

There has been mounting concern over the years that the comments from X Factor judges are not entirely their own work and are aimed at creating the necessary narrative for the show (including the fake drama)

That is why I have posted so much on the subject of Abi. She was given universal praise - and yet there were as many flaws in her singing as with a number of the others - who were picked up on problems in their vocals.

It feels like there is an agenda - and that isn't what it should all be about.

Perhaps with training, she can improve her tuning - fine. But she was not deserving of the high praise she got for the first live performance.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Each year there are chosen ones who they know will take criticism very badly.

Nicholas and abi fall into this category so will be praised without fail
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no personal preference for any contestant. What what I saw and heard tonight, it is not a strong year.

But the thing that really detracts from this (and other) TV competitions involving judges is the way that the comments can be inconsistent.

Praise where praise is due is fine - but when there are flaws, they should be pointed it.

There has been mounting concern over the years that the comments from X Factor judges are not entirely their own work and are aimed at creating the necessary narrative for the show (including the fake drama)

That is why I have posted so much on the subject of Abi. She was given universal praise - and yet there were as many flaws in her singing as with a number of the others - who were picked up on problems in their vocals.

It feels like there is an agenda - and that isn't what it should all be about.

Perhaps with training, she can improve her tuning - fine. But she was not deserving of the high praise she got for the first live performance.

The problem is with you. You're into your little conspiracies and that's clouding your judgment. Abi was fantastic as usual. She is my favourite and the polls agree she is one of the best in the competition. The polls are in agreement with the judges and that proves the conspiracy is all in your mind.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    quasimoron wrote: »
    Abi was flat tonight, weak vocally and tuneless.How did she get past auditions is the question. She is going to be exposed every week and it will get worse. She is boring as well, I give her two weeks and she is out.
    A lovely girl I am sure but a crap singer and is not in any way original., Ellie Goulding has done it first and Abi is not in her league..She was not the only one Luke and Sam are no better. Gary will win this year or Louis, Nicole has not a hope. Her acts tonight were nothing special. Sharons Sam would blow any of them out of the water vocally

She got past the auditions because the producers wanted her to! All the acts vocals were messed with in post during every stage, from room auditions to judges houses, so they could easily make Abi sound better than she really is.

Yeah, she's exposed as a very average singer (cringing at those harsh tones!) but it doesn't matter. The show is always, at most, 50% about the actual vocals. Young girls like her, at least for now. They'll vote for her when she does Taylor Swift too (you just know that they will give her a Taylor song).
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member

I'm not saying she WASN'T out of tune. I'm saying she didn't murder the song - the choruses made sense. She did the song in a different way which didn't rely on singing the high notes in the chorus because the whole point seemed to be that she would be sliding up to those high notes at the end of the phrases. She kept to the key...so although she didn't sing the high notes - it still made sense...I could see what she was doing - at the beginning of the versus's, e.g. the terribly flat 'we gotta hold on' bit, it was pitchy...BUT the choruses were still on point.