University Challenge 2016/17

simes188simes188 Posts: 190
Forum Member
Just been watching the new series of University Challenge . Paxo looked ridiculous with his blond hair,

Comments

• Paul_CullotyPaul_Culloty Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And what was up with Bristol's Clarke? Plenty of withering looks directed at her team-mates and Paxman!
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got quite a few right

There are a lot of "obvious" answers, aren't they.

E.g. the tropisms. Obviously water is hydrotropism. Questions like that.
  • Alleycat666Alleycat666 Posts: 8,737
    Forum Member
    I was very distracted by Paxo's hair...

Bristol seemed quite good - all of them buzzed in for starters which is usually a good sign, rather than having just one superstar.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    And what was up with Bristol's Clarke? Plenty of withering looks directed at her team-mates and Paxman!
    I decided after a short while that Captain Clark and her colleague on her left (beardy clever chap wearing big specs) might be more than just chums, judging by the looks she was sending in his direction from time to time. Course it may just have been admiration for him getting a starter for 10...
  • SepangBlueSepangBlue Posts: 4,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simes188 wrote: »
    Just been watching the new series of University Challenge . Paxo looked ridiculous with his blond hair,

It's silvery grey, not blond .. have another look here:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/14612359.People_paid_far_too_much_attention_to_Jeremy_Paxman_s_hair_on_the_return_of_University_Challenge/
    I was very distracted by Paxo's hair...

Bristol seemed quite good - all of them buzzed in for starters which is usually a good sign, rather than having just one superstar.

Has nobody seen a man in need of a haircut before? Yes, we too saw it was longer than usual, but for goodness sake anyone would think we were still in the early nineteen sixties!
  • Alleycat666Alleycat666 Posts: 8,737
    Forum Member
    Good contest last night I thought - quite close right up to the end - feel sure that the losers will be back as one of the highest scorers.
  • PaddyODawesPaddyODawes Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    Good contest last night I thought - quite close right up to the end - feel sure that the losers will be back as one of the highest scorers.

Agreed. Two strong sides. Well-balanced too. Neither stands out as a jaw-dropping certainty in the way that Peterhouse did from their first appearance last year, but either are definitely in with a shout, so long as no 'Peterhouse' turns up further down the line.
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know Oxford PPE students tend to end up in important positions, but having six or seven starter questions on Economics set texts seemed a little bit fishy to me.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't PPE one of those courses like Media Studies or Advanced Hairdressing?
  • spectraspectra Posts: 2,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Isn't PPE one of those courses like Media Studies or Advanced Hairdressing?

If you can ask that, I can't understand why you would be watching UC!
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spectra wrote: »
    If you can ask that, I can't understand why you would be watching UC!
    Don't get you. Politics, Philosophy, Economics, right? I always assumed PPE was one of those degrees people took who couldn't manage a proper academic subject.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Don't get you. Politics, Philosophy, Economics, right? I always assumed PPE was one of those degrees people took who couldn't manage a proper academic subject.

Yes, like Art History.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Isn't that three academic subjects, would it be OK if they gave it a different name?

It is common for people to study a combination of more than one subject.

Subjects such as Media Studies became a bit of a joke because they tended to be the newer universities (i.e. colleges) and no one in the industry had any respect for the courses. Might have changed now.
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is too early to tell but Corpus Christi is the early favourite. Jesus should come back and win the playoff - they are too good not to.

I love both teams - they don't take time guessing the answers and almost everyone has his or her share on the answers. Both equally balanced teams (however I suspect science might be the Achilles's Heel for Jesus and might cause trouble for them in later rounds)
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    No one watching last night?

Warwick (my old uni) look good, especially Rudd:D
  • steviexsteviex Posts: 132,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought the chap on the end for Liverpool, Kerek? was doing quite a good impression of Max Headroom. :D

He didn't answer many questions, although he thought the surface area if the Indian ocean was the same as Jupiter's! :D
  • gopher_uk1gopher_uk1 Posts: 321
    Forum Member

Nope, it is usually taken by people who aim to be politicians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_University_of_Oxford_people_with_PPE_degrees
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    No one watching last night?

Warwick (my old uni) look good, especially Rudd:D

I checked during the broadcast to see if there was any active discussion about Warwick's team members' appearance. Two of them were interesting.

Very impressed by DS not sinking to its usual depths (although slightly disappointed too).
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you mean the Wookie?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    Do you mean the Wookie?

I was more in a Lord of the Rings thought process, but I couldn't decide between Hobbit or Dwarf.

And then there was Rudd...
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was more in a Lord of the Rings thought process, but I couldn't decide between Hobbit or Dwarf.

Well, there's nothing very nice about you, is there?

Grow up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well, she may or may not be trans, it's not an issue for me nor a lot of people. If she is, more power to her for having the strength of character to be on telly and the twittering abuse it will undoubtedly bring.
    I will happily mock a very beardy man though, or a man who looks like a bond villain yet doesn't know how big Jupiter is.
  • SepangBlueSepangBlue Posts: 4,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Our son did PPE at Keble (Oxford). One of his tutorial contemporaries was Ed Balls (I seem to remember he went into politics). He started his working life in merchant banking and then went into management services, PWC and Deloittes among others. After a few years he moved to one of the power companies and subsequently was head hunted by EDF (UK) where he's currently national projects director.

Fancy your chances with 'only' a PPE degree?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    Well, she may or may not be trans, it's not an issue for me nor a lot of people. If she is, more power to her for having the strength of character to be on telly and the twittering abuse it will undoubtedly bring.
    I will happily mock a very beardy man though, or a man who looks like a bond villain yet doesn't know how big Jupiter is.

It's not an issue for me either. But as people can post about contestants wearing leather vests or being beady or Max Headroomy, or Bond Villainy, it's a bit of an "elephant in the room" to not mention she was unusual looking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It clearly is an issue for you.