ipod touch itunes error message

Am using an ipod touch and connecting it to windows xp pc.
When the ipod is sync-ing in itunes the steps 1 - 5 go through but then i can the following error message

"itunes could not backup ipod "name ipod touch" because the ipod has been disconnected" - OK

The ipod is still connected via the original usb cable and it still appears in the devices section on itunes.

When i click ok the sync says it is finished and ok to disconnect.

Can anyone help to resolve this error as I am concerned the data is not getting backed up
thanks
angie2601

Comments

• psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried rebooting the iPod? - hold both buttons for 10 secs approx, then tap the power button until you see the Apple logo. Also try a different USB port perhaps?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    Hi and thanks for the reply

I did power down the ipod touch - and it took a long time to 'shut down' ( I have not turned it off for sometime )
    I left it a while then turned it on again.

I have not tried the usb port but when I plug it in will try the one I was using first to see if the error appears again.

When I did get the error originally, I noticed on the IPOD touch that I could not get into the apps store on the machine and the apps section on the ipod device screen in itunes was not showing the contents clearly, instead it had the 'A' symbol for apps on the device screen.

When I powered up the ipod touch again, I could get into the apps store and so will try with the itunes again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    Have a couple of issues with Itunes and wondered should I just seek the advice of a Genius (subject to appointment) ?

Apologies for the long - winded email and these issues maybe trivial but everyone I know claims never to have a problem with Itunes/ipods !?!

1) I have got this error message during syncing in itunes with my ipod touch 16gb

"itunes could not backup ipod "name ipod touch" - Click Ok.

Looking at various forums, it may have something to do with apps so I rebooted the ipod and sync'd it again and it was fine.
    I only have a radio station up and news & twitter and I don't really turn the ipod off as in a complete shut down. So I thought rebooting it did the trick.
    I checked in Preferences and found the last back up was down and all appears in order. But then when I sync'd it again about a week later I got the error message again. So I turned the unit off (shut down ) and on again and then sync'd it again and check the backup time & date in itunes preferences and it seemed fine.
    Is this a problem that won't go away unless I shut the ipod down each time ?

I have not downloaded the latest version of itunes (10.12ish)

2) The audio part of capacity bar during syncing keeps increasing substanitally and then returns to its original position after syncing. It also does it when I update the latest podcast to the ipod.
    I have read there was a bug with 10.1 version of itunes but looking at posts on the apple support forum the issue does not appear to be fixed.
    Should I assume it is just a bug or something I need to look at getting 'fixed'?
    Trouble is, it sometimes shows over-capacity' but my audio is not huge - I have about 321 songs & 180 podcasts. After syncing there is about 9.7gb free. (14.something gb in all)

3) I keep getting a download of a movie I purchased ages ago but I stopped it at the time cos it was taking too long to download. When I click the update downloads option this one keeps appearing and I realise it will do. But can I get rid of it without having to download it and then deleting it ?

4) If the problem is with itunes will I need to take the laptop into the apple gentius (its not a mac its Windows XP OS)

With all these little issues, should I just get an appointment with an apple genius and try and these sorted or does anyone have any suggestions - short of buying a new device and computer !