SDHC or SD Extreme for my Canon Camera

IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a Canon 500D DSLR camera which I bought from Jessops early last year. I got a good deal (I think) as it came in a bundle with extra lens and a SanDisk SD Extreme III 8GB card which I have used ever since.

However, I am now thinking of getting a second card (preferably a 16GB) but am a bit put off by the expensive price of the SanDisk Extreme III cards.

I take a lot of high-quality photos and also HD video (720p or 1080p) and was wondering if the normal SDHC 16GB (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00422F8XQ/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1TEDXXZ0P8RC50CCHESG&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294) would do or whether I should spend the extra on an Extreme III (http://www.amazon.co.uk/SANDISK-Extreme-16GB-SDHC-Memory/dp/B002UD34N0/ref=sr_1_28?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1298722628&sr=1-28). As you can see there is a lot of difference in the prices!!!

Comments

• Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use smaller cards and more of them.

While a 16gb card might sound snazzy, if it mucks up or you lose it, you lose everything.

If you've got 4x4gb cards, then that risk is a lot lower.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stick with SDHC for now but stay away from that unrated one.
    Simply buy a class 10 card for just an extra couple of quid. Class is the card speed rating with 10 being the current common fastest. You may also see zero benefit from your other expensive choice.

7dayshop are usually best for choice. Maybe 2 X 8GB?
    That might also depend if you want to shoot lots and lots of videos.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Use smaller cards and more of them.

While a 16gb card might sound snazzy, if it mucks up or you lose it, you lose everything.

If you've got 4x4gb cards, then that risk is a lot lower.

Or you could look at it another way.

A 16GB card doesn't need to be removed from the camera, whereas the four 4GB cards need to swapped over with a much higher risk of loss when not in the camera (unless you tend to lose your camera). I'd say a single higher capacity memory card in the camera is much less likely to be lost.

As for SDXC, high speed SDHC cards are fine for now, but SDXC is the future as required transfer-rates and capacity increase.