Options

iPad display

dr2012dr2012 Posts: 219
Forum Member
Hi, I'm interested in getting the iPad but am slightly concerned about the display.
I have an iphone 4 and whenever I go back to using my old ipod touch I always notice that the display is pretty poor in comparison.

I'm wondering if the same is true for the ipad, is the screen as good as the iphone 4's? (I know the ipad doesn't have a retina display, but something as good as?) Better than an old iPod touch?

Many thanks

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    The iPad's display is an IPS panel just the same as iPhone 4.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    Its not as good as the iPhone 4 but its is still a really nice display.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Retina display' ie a display with ~300 ppi would in the case of ipad mean something around and over 2700x2100 pixels. I don't think something like that will be coming any time soon for a mobile device. What battery is going to feed such a monstrosity? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    i have the iphone 3g :( (not 3gs) and have to say my ipad screen is much better then my phones screen
  • Options
    GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember that you will typically hold the iPad further away from your face than you would a phone, and I for one think it is absolutely fine.

If you really want the best screen, probably waiting for the iPad2 would be worthwhile.
  • Options
    GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    'Retina display' ie a display with ~300 ppi would in the case of ipad mean something around and over 2700x2100 pixels. I don't think something like that will be coming any time soon for a mobile device. What battery is going to feed such a monstrosity? :D

A "retina display" is, by their own definition, not a fixed DPI. It just means that the pixels are not distinguishable. So the further away a screen is, the lower DPI is needed for it to be classed as a retina display. The iPhone retina display presumes a 12" viewing distance. If you were to assume 18" for an iPad, then a retina display is not all that far-fetched.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The iPad display is the premium part of the device.
    And better suited for use than one with compressed pixels.
  • Options
    Gareth56Gareth56 Posts: 2,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully future iPad displays will be less reflective than the 1G version.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gareth56 wrote: »

Indeed it's very reflective. However you can lessen the reflectivity if you use certain screen protectors.
  • Options
    ScrolllockScrolllock Posts: 4,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gareth56 wrote: »

Keep in mind that you can't have a screen as sharp and with as high contrast buy adding anti-reflective treatments.

In typical use the iPads screen is very easy to view and especially so considering how ridiculously bright it is. At its highest setting it is as bright as my 24" iMac on its brightest setting. That's amazing for a portable device.
  • Options
    EejitEejit Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The iPad display will eventually be resolution-doubled up to 'retina display' levels. Apple are already preparing their software for it.

But it's highly unlikely that will happen this year. The screen technology just isn't there yet to make it workable and cost-effective.

Perhaps this time next year though. :)

One thing is for sure - Apple won't go for some 'interim' resolution. It will be 2x or not at all.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GetFrodo wrote: »
    A "retina display" is, by their own definition, not a fixed DPI. It just means that the pixels are not distinguishable. So the further away a screen is, the lower DPI is needed for it to be classed as a retina display. The iPhone retina display presumes a 12" viewing distance. If you were to assume 18" for an iPad, then a retina display is not all that far-fetched.

In that case it already is a 'retina display', you just hold it to close :p
  • Options
    denzil28denzil28 Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had heard this comparisson made and finally got the chance to compare the two side by side yesterday.

The text on the iphone 4 is clearer than the ipad, but it is not so much better that using an ipad after was a horrible experience.

Howerver, from what I have read today, current stocks of the ipad are almost non existent as Apple are prepping for the ipad 2 to replace the existing model.

There seems to be little reason to buy an ipad now at the current price as you might as well get the new technology at in a few weeks time at the same price as you would pay now.

If you were not already aware, the ipad 2 is being revealed by Apple on Wednesday.
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Scrolllock wrote: »
    Keep in mind that you can't have a screen as sharp and with as high contrast buy adding anti-reflective treatments.

In typical use the iPads screen is very easy to view and especially so considering how ridiculously bright it is. At its highest setting it is as bright as my 24" iMac on its brightest setting. That's amazing for a portable device.

At it's brightest the display is blinding, i leep it half way down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eejit wrote: »
    The iPad display will eventually be resolution-doubled up to 'retina display' levels.
    The only logical reason for this would be to up or keep the price. Or to maybe to compensate for low tech insides.
    The retina display to me has far too much wasted ability.
  • Options
    EejitEejit Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    The only logical reason for this would be to up or keep the price. Or to maybe to compensate for low tech insides.
    Not at all. The retina display is one of the best things about the iPhone 4 and iPod touch, and just about everyone who has one loves it. Content – especially text and games – looks amazing on it. :)

The iPad will benefit greatly from a 2x resolution boost. But obviously it's not going to happen until the technology is there and the price / battery life trade-off works out.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »

If they eventually do opt for doubling the iPad resolution, they'd have to improve the CPU, GPU and RAM accordingly or it will be a waste of time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It differentiates and it certainly could be done.
    Their buying power could make the screen not too pricey and it would help maintain price levels.

High resolution is brilliant for maps.