Options

Why do so few motorists know the correct way to turn right at a crossroads?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
Forum Member
If you are at a crossroads and have to wait for the 'straight ahead' traffic to clear before you can tun right, the correct way to position yourself is to turn to face your turning quite early. Opposing cars who want to do the same are meant to slip beside you passenger side-to-passenger side.

That's the important part - not driver-side-to-driver-side.

This is the correct way because it means the two streams of right-turning traffic never need to cross each other.

yet everyone - I mean everyone - always positions themselves drive-side-to-driver-side, cause the two streams to criss-cross, which means the two lines get congested and block each other.

The corect wayis taught in driving lessons. Everyone should know it yet everyone ignores it. Grrrr!

Comments

• Options
    ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    #firstworldproblems
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some of the places I drive through barely qualify as first world!
  • Options
    JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Essex.
  • Options
    mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    In have never seen anyone turn drivers side to drivers side :/
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    In have never seen anyone turn drivers side to drivers side :/

I can't recall anyone doing it either.
  • Options
    Deirdre BarlowDeirdre Barlow Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    Unless the road layout (such as a staggered crossroads) or markings dictate otherwise you should always pass driver side to driver side and enter your road from BEHIND the vehicles coming from the opposite direction. This is to allow a clearer view of the road ahead and therefore oncoming traffic.
    I have until recently been a driving instructor.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    or indicate
    ANYWHERE

roundabouts are a joke too, indicating to go ROUND them, not indicating to EXIT them :rolleyes:
  • Options
    John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diary_room wrote: »
    If you are at a crossroads and have to wait for the 'straight ahead' traffic to clear before you can tun right, the correct way to position yourself is to turn to face your turning quite early. Opposing cars who want to do the same are meant to slip beside you passenger side-to-passenger side.

This is the correct way because it means the two streams of right-turning traffic never need to cross each other.

yet everyone - I mean everyone - always positions themselves drive-side-to-driver-side, cause the two streams to criss-cross, which means the two lines get congested and block each other.

The corect wayis taught in driving lessons. Everyone should know it yet everyone ignores it. Grrrr!

You may want to consult the Highway Code.... you know that thing that we were all taught to.....

When turning right at crossroads where an oncoming vehicle is also turning right, there is a choice of two methods

turn right side to right side; keep the other vehicle on your right and turn behind it. This is generally the safer method as you have a clear view of any approaching traffic when completing your turn

left side to left side, turning in front of each other. This can block your view of oncoming vehicles, so take extra care. Cyclists and motorcyclists in particular may be hidden from your view. Road layout, markings or how the other vehicle is positioned can determine which course should be taken.

Taken from https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/road-junctions-170-to-183
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Driver side to driver side is the preferred way to do it.

See rule 181 of the Highway Code

https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/road-junctions-170-to-183

The reason is that if you do it driver side to driver side both of you can see the approaching traffic clearly so it is safer for all concerned.

Plus you should never face your vehicle into the side road when turning right. You should be pointing straight ahead with the wheels also pointing straight ahead. That way if some numpty rams you up the exhaust pipe you get shunted straight ahead, hopefully into free space. If you are turning into the junction then you could get shunted head on into another vehicle approaching from the opposite direction. Which will get messy.
  • Options
    macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's why cars have indicators built in.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was taught driver to driver so you can see oncoming traffic.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Ber wrote: »
    I was taught driver to driver so you can see oncoming traffic.

That would be my preference as well but at some junctions the geometry; number of lanes etc requires some flexibility and judgement. Clearly both are legal (in the absence of road markings).
  • Options
    lubaluba Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always try to do driver side to driver side but I find in most cases drivers prefer passenger to passenger which is silly because you are not able to view the oncoming traffic clearly, most of the time I get a dirty look as if I am in the wrong for trying to get behind them.
    Do not get me started on indicating.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    luba wrote: »
    I always try to do driver side to driver side but I find in most cases drivers prefer passenger to passenger which is silly because you are not able to view the oncoming traffic clearly, most of the time I get a dirty look as if I am in the wrong for trying to get behind them.
    Do not get me started on indicating.

A lot of people do not start indicating.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    jenzie wrote: »
    or indicate
    ANYWHERE

roundabouts are a joke too, indicating to go ROUND them, not indicating to EXIT them :rolleyes:

If it's a straight choice, I'd rather people indicated on exit than indicated when going around.

The indicator is of most use to those drivers waiting for an out.

In Germany drivers only indicate on exit. It works.

Of course, doing both is preferable.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Then when was I, and quite a lot of others, not taught this way?

I was taught driver-side to driver-side. (Isn't it called "offside to offside", or something?)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjne wrote: »
    If it's a straight choice, I'd rather people indicated on exit than indicated when going around.

I HATE when a driver doesn't indicate when joining a roundabout to my right, then turns left, meaning I could have been well on my way rather than waiting for this imbecile that doesn't know the rules of the road.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So is the OP correct in saying driving instructors teach nearside-to-nearside as the official way to turn right?

I've never heard this before, but it would explain why some drivers insist on doing it, even when it's unsafe to do so.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    macsmurray wrote: »
    I HATE when a driver doesn't indicate when joining a roundabout to my right, then turns left, meaning I could have been well on my way rather than waiting for this imbecile that doesn't know the rules of the road.

Well, that is a (lack of) indicate on exit, technically, and I agree with you.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    jjne wrote: »

Could not agree more; on all counts.
  • Options
    Deirdre BarlowDeirdre Barlow Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    So is the OP correct in saying driving instructors teach nearside-to-nearside as the official way to turn right?

I've never heard this before, but it would explain why some drivers insist on doing it, even when it's unsafe to do so.

No. Offside to offside or driver side to driver side is the correct way of turning right at a crossroads unless road markings or layout dictate otherwise.
  • Options
    BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    It takes two to tango (or driver to driver).
  • Options
    psychedelicpsychedelic Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Offside to offside or driver side to driver side is the correct way of turning right at a crossroads unless road markings or layout dictate otherwise.

I agree, the other way would be frankly very dangerous.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    I never know who is meant to go first.

If I am turning right and the oncoming guy is turning right.

I usually wave at them and they wave back and go first.

Some times we do finger gestures, indicating where we intend to go, and who should go first.

I've never had an accident.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OP here: I was specifically taught passenger-side-to-passenger side, although as others have pointed out the Highway Code now offers both methods, with a preference for driver-side-to driver-side. However it does say to judge it based on the situation.

Driver-to-driver side is fine if it's 1 or 2 cars. Any more than that and the 2 streams of traffic completely block each other, and no you don't get a better view of anything - you just look into the car that's right next to you!