Options

Sky / ITV CL Final coverage

SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
Forum Member
I'm new to Sky Sports this year and plan to watch the CL Final tomorrow night on Sky not ITV. Anybody aware of whether Sky are likely to use the high gantry at Wembley, or share the lower gantry with ITV?

I presume their pictures are independent of each other, much like proper FA Cup Finals were when BBC & ITV had separate operations at the same match back in the 60s & 70s.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    I think it's probably quite likely the pictures will be the same on both channels. I don't know who has been made the host broadcaster.
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    I will be watching it in 3D, so that will be using different pictures.
    Ian.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back in the 60s and 70s (and indeed late 50s) the Wembley scoreboard carried a huge advertisement for the Radio Times. This did not go down too well with ITV who had to ''mock up'' their own miniature scoreboard.
    The coverage was separate, as you say, apart from the camera at the top of the 39 steps up to the presentation where there was only room for one camera and it was always a BBC one.
    Producers were often seen brawling on the pitch at the end of the game as they tried to get the first interviews with the winning team.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Any Ideas wrote: »
    I think it's probably quite likely the pictures will be the same on both channels. I don't know who has been made the host broadcaster.

ITV are the host broadcaster for SD/HD, I dont know if this applies to 3D as this is a different operation altogether.

So Sky, along with the rest of the world, will be taking one feed that ITV produce. Sky didnt want to bid for it, maybe the trip over to Moscow a few years ago to be the host broadcaster there cost them a fair whack!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Let's hope ITV opt for the proper view down onto rather than across the pitch. I won't hold my breath.

I like the nugget of info about the one camera at the top of the steps at the old Wembley - I always thought that was the case.
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    THOMO wrote: »
    I will be watching it in 3D

Congratulations?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Let's hope ITV opt for the proper view down onto rather than across the pitch. I won't hold my breath.

I like the nugget of info about the one camera at the top of the steps at the old Wembley - I always thought that was the case.

The view will be whatever view is covered by the UEFA technical specifications of conditions of broadcast. This rules out one of the gantries at White Hart Lane so no doubt rules out one of the gantries at Wembley.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It might be worth reminding folks of the scandalous decision to give Wembley two finals in three years - surely the 'broadcasting specification' will be the same as whatever it was two years ago?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »

There was also the year when ITV lost their microwave link from Wembley and had to switch to the BBC coverage. The BBC always used two separate paths out while ITV only had one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    It might be worth reminding folks of the scandalous decision to give Wembley two finals in three years - surely the 'broadcasting specification' will be the same as whatever it was two years ago?

Indeed they will be, although I cant remember which view they used last time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Indeed they will be, although I cant remember which view they used last time.

Lower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhF8fzOB8Ws
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The view will be whatever view is covered by the UEFA technical specifications of conditions of broadcast. This rules out one of the gantries at White Hart Lane so no doubt rules out one of the gantries at Wembley.
    The story doing the rounds after one of Spurs' Europa League matches was that UEFA insisted on the lower gantry at WHL to maximise the exposure of the pitch-side ads. My stroppy email to ITV provoked a reply from the match producer himself claiming that he'd personally opted for the lower gantry as it brings the viewer closer to the action, or something like that.
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    Wembley got it in 2011 as part of the normal cycle of events; the quick return is due to the FA's150th anniversary celebrations. It can't have been difficult to notice that 2 years ago, but I'm not complaining. Except for the likely use of the impaired view of the match.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are UEFA still ripping-off fans with their ticket prices ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »

I know of one person who paid £230 for one ticket.
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV are the host broadcaster for SD/HD, I dont know if this applies to 3D as this is a different operation altogether.

So Sky, along with the rest of the world, will be taking one feed that ITV produce. Sky didnt want to bid for it, maybe the trip over to Moscow a few years ago to be the host broadcaster there cost them a fair whack!

ITV's first final since 2003 (at Old Trafford), Sky did Wembley 2011. I believe ITV will also be doing the 3D feed as well.
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member

Also ripping them off by giving fans of the 2 teams a pathetic % of tickets as they'd rather give ticket to sponsors (who won't give a monkeys) and the 'football family' (who generally also won't give a monkeys). The only people who'll really care who'll be there are the fans of the 2 teams. Always felt it should be 45% for each team, then 5% for neutrals and 5% for sponsors/the 'football family'. That also goes for the Europa League Final. As far as the World Cup/European Championships go, as you don't know the teams until a few days before I'd just say 90% for any fans, and 10% for sponsors/the 'football family'. Disgraceful how so many tickets go to people who don't give a monkeys and fans get the square root of f*** all when it comes to the % of tickets they get.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alexj2002 wrote: »
    ITV's first final since 2003 (at Old Trafford), Sky did Wembley 2011. I believe ITV will also be doing the 3D feed as well.

ITV did the Europa League final last season.

Sky is doing the 3D feed. But they only have 10 cameras.
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    ITV did the Europa League final last season.

And the FA Cup final last week ;) I meant in terms of the UCL.
    ariusuk wrote: »
    Sky is doing the 3D feed. But they only have 10 cameras.

That seems fairly normal for 3D coverage, given the effect tends to work best on low-level shots. How many are ITV using for the 2D feed, 30-40?
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alexj2002 wrote: »
    And the FA Cup final last week ;) I meant in terms of the UCL.

Domestic finals aren't quite the same as European ones.
    How many are ITV using for the 2D feed, 30-40?

Yes.
  • Options
    jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went for the public ticket ballot, lowest price ticket was £60, next was £120 I think. Sadly didn't get any but wasn't really expecting too- easy to enter so was worth a shot.
  • Options
    the power kingthe power king Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got Sky sports on it supbeb dot have to put up with Itv unlike the fa cup
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got Sky sports on it supbeb dot have to put up with Itv unlike the fa cup

are you a German ?
  • Options