Options

Brussels for a short break in December - Eurostar or plane?

rewindrewind Posts: 2,636
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Looking to go away to Brussels for a short break at the end of November/early December (Friday - Monday) with a mate. For ease, I was contemplating going on the Eurostar. Works out at £150 return each and takes just after 2 hours. On Expedia, it is around £250 - £300 for a hotel as well.

Would people recommend this over getting a plane? Happy to pay a slight premium for the convenience but if a plane is about £30 then maybe not!

Also, any hotel recommendations? Things to do? We will probably just be sampling the beer and the architecture mainly! Will obviously check out TripAdvisor too but any thoughts welcome.

Comments

• Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't been for a while. Last time I stayed in the Atlas Hotel which gets reasonable reviews on TripAdvisor. For me it had the advantage of being in a good location, walking distance to the Grand-Place (well, everywhere's in walking distance in Brussels), and some good restaurants nearby. But I'm sure there are others equally good).

I'd always take the Eurostar over the plane - it's a more enjoyable way to start a holiday - but if there was a big price difference it would be worth switching.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to Brussels...last December....on the Eurostar. Had to reply!

If it's not too much more, go Eurostar. It wast first my time and I preferred it to flying, much less of an ordeal. The city centre isn't massive, we stayed at the opposite end of it from the station and walked it in 20 mins when we arrived, but there's also a metro system we used on the way back

There isn't a whole lot to do there compared to some European cities but if you go in December there are Christmas markets (with a ice skating and a Ferris wheel if you like heights) and Grand Place (the main square) is lit up, even if you're not really into Christmas it's something to walk around and look at

We jumped on a tram to go and see the Atomium aswell
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might depend on where you live. For example, here in Norwich we can get a direct flight from our local airport to Amsterdam which is much more convenient than using any of the London airports.

However, I haven't checked whether the same thing is true for Brussels, or what the costs might be. So this is just an idea that you might possibly want to research, not a recommendation.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    It might depend on where you live. ..............

It does, but I'm assuming that, for the OP, train and plane are equally viable.

I love the Eurostar, the seats are comfy, and if you don't get good seats (there are some at the end of the carriage with very limited vision) you can pop up to St. Pancras and change them.

Though I must admit that being a pensioner with a London Travel Pass helps on that.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed the Eurostar and being able to get on at Ashford International.
  • Options
    rewindrewind Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all. London is fine to get to so it looks as if the Eurostar is the way forward.

Just need to choose a hotel now! Thinking of doing this whilst we're there too: http://www.salienttours.be/yprestour1.html
  • Options
    alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lived in Brussels for years and live the place. I think there's loads to do there. Do PM me if you want more ideas. And I would take the eurostar over the plane... no hanging around in airports and you arrive in the city rather than in a village on the outskirts. Or a whole other city altogethrr if it was a flight to "Brussels South"!
  • Options
    ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work for an airline, and I'd recommend Eurostar; far less faffing about, and you go straight to the heart of the city.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As others have said, it depends where you're coming from.
    I live 5 minutes from a subway stop which gets me to St. Pancras in 18 - 20 minutes.
    A taxi from Brussells Midi to most of the decent central hotels goes from €16 to €25
    Brussells South airport is near Charleroi, which is at least 55 klms from Brussells and will cost €90 - €100 in a taxi,
    Brussells airport is something like 12 - 14 klms to the centre and you can get a bus or train to Midi station from there.
  • Options
    sheltsshelts Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eutostar, check out through trains and fares,

http://www.seat61.com/UKconnections.htm#Option 1

I love that site! wasn't aware of the through tickets myself, shall be checking it out in future though!
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alsmama wrote: »
    . And I would take the eurostar over the plane... no hanging around in airports

True enough ...instead just a fair bit of hanging around at St Pancras Always wise to arrive with at least 45 minutes to spare to clear security /immigration which sadly ES is not immune from.
  • Options
    simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm doing a similar trip in December but had to plump for the plane. A business class seat with BA was cheaper than a standard seat on the Eurostar :(

Plus for me, getting to Heathrow is easier than into central London.

Used Eurostar a few years ago and did enjoy it but it's just too expensive.

Check out the Christmas markets in the city - they're awesome.
  • Options
    alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A taxi from Brussells Midi to most of the decent central hotels goes from €16 to €25.

I don't know why anyone would get a cab though. There's masses of public transport that goes direct from Midi to the centre. They're really not far apart. Buses, trams, underground or even train. And all on one simple ticket. You could even walk it in about 20 min if you wanted.
  • Options
    DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why anyone would get a cab though. There's masses of public transport that goes direct from Midi to the centre. They're really not far apart. Buses, trams, underground or even train. And all on one simple ticket. You could even walk it in about 20 min if you wanted.

Can't argue with that, but, never having used the bus from Midi to Centre-Ville, I guess that it drops you off near Grand Place.
    If you are unfamiliar with central Brussels you then have to locate your chosen hotel.
    Rather than schlep around in possible rain, asking directions in schoolgirl French from maybe a Flemish speaker, it might be worth getting a taxi to the hotel.
    Once you are au fait with the geography, walk if you wish, it's an interesting city.
    Be warned though, it's not all sweetness and light, moules, frites, and gauffres, avoid Molenbeek,and Kuregem, (Anderlecht.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on12C6drtDk
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True enough ...instead just a fair bit of hanging around at St Pancras Always wise to arrive with at least 45 minutes to spare to clear security /immigration which sadly ES is not immune from.

If you are taking luggage it is much easier and quicker to go by Eurostar than flying.

We went to Antwerp last year by Eurostar and it was a doddle compared to the queues you always seem to get at airports these days.

Given the choice I would go Eurostar to france, Belgium, and Holland, every time. Eurostar are said to be planning to introduce direct services in to Amsterdam @ 2016 and It will be interesting to see what services Deutsche Bahn offer if/when they eventually start up direct services from London to Germany.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Eurostar tickets to Belgium also include onward train travel to any Belgian station for the following 24 hours. So we got a return Eurostar ticket from London to Brussels and that covered our journey to Antwerp.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard mixed reviews about the city in trip advisor.

Also conidering Euro Star. Where is the station about and do you need to get a subway to the centre?

Is there anywhere else the Eurostar goes you can recommend? Been to Paris already.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard mixed reviews about the city in trip advisor.

Also conidering Euro Star. Where is the station about and do you need to get a subway to the centre?

Is there anywhere else the Eurostar goes you can recommend? Been to Paris already.

Your first two points have been covered in this thread

In my opinion there isn't as much to do as some other popular places for city breaks, but there's enough to keep you busy for a few days especially in December with the Christmas markets. Everywhere has mixed reviews

The station is in the south (south west?) of the city, if you're not much of a walker or you have a lot of luggage then its a few stops to the city centre. I walked it in 15-20 minutes
  • Options
    Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    How you get there all comes down to if you like a nice scenic jouney taking slightly longer or just want to get there quick and enjoy the beautiful place that is Brussels.

I spent 5 days there about 10 years ago and it's lovely. More diversity than any other place I have been to and even has two main languages. Food of all types from all over the world and the Grand Place after it has rained in the evening with al the reflections is a place you won't want to leave.

Just take lots of money as I spent it like water. :(

Oh and gone on the always on exact time tram system. As you get around and see many things you pass and want to go back to see.