Options

London Live

qslikelyqslikely Posts: 239
Forum Member
Is there any knowledge about London Live - when they launch on 31st March, will they be available via (Free)sat?

Comments

• Options
    Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,745
    Forum Member
    I'm sure there's a thread about this which states that it will be on Sky but not Freesat because of rights issues but I can't find it. I don't know if that means it will be encrypted or just not on the Freesat EPG.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks - I saw the Sky info and wondered the same.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Well on here
    http://www.standard.co.uk/londonlive/

At the end of the trailer video is says:

"Freeview 8 : Sky 117 : Virgin 159 : Mobile Tablet : On Demand : Stations"

What they mean by "Sky" is anyone's guess, but I can't see why it should be locked up behind Sky's paywall.

But then the same could be said of a few other channels as well that are free on Freeview and Pay on Satellite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well on here
    http://www.standard.co.uk/londonlive/

At the end of the trailer video is says:

"Freeview 8 : Sky 117 : Virgin 159 : Mobile Tablet : On Demand : Stations"

What they mean by "Sky" is anyone's guess, but I can't see why it should be locked up behind Sky's paywall.

But then the same could be said of a few other channels as well that are free on Freeview and Pay on Satellite.

Also http://www.a516digital.com/2014/01/london-live-sets-march-launch-date-but.html

I can't understand why the Sky pay wall either. Maybe London is different because they think they can afford the encryption and because unlike many other locals they seem to be able to afford buying programmes from the BBC and ITV.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also http://www.a516digital.com/2014/01/london-live-sets-march-launch-date-but.html

I can't understand why the Sky pay wall either. Maybe London is different because they think they can afford the encryption and because unlike many other locals they seem to be able to afford buying programmes from the BBC and ITV.
    Is the cost of encryption < cost of additional rights? Bare in mind London Live are looking at screening films set in London which other broadcasters might not be doing so could potentially save a fair bit of money by limiting it to the UK / London*

*Isn't 117 the Sky Local TV number so that would be limited to London postcodes?
  • Options
    BangersBangers Posts: 3,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a thought but maybe they are going to be on one of the wider Astra beams, hence the need to encrypt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All local stations that choose to go on Sky will be on channel 117 but that doesn't necessarily imply encryption of the signal it doen't in the case of BBC and ITV regions. It probably is either the content and/or the transponder used.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the replies - I've asked London Live and Freesat, will post if I get a reply.
  • Options
    coolrobertcoolrobert Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    "Sadly we won't be available on Freesat as they aren't able to encrypt audiovisual content for London transmission only". https://twitter.com/LondonLive From there twitter feed.
  • Options
    M60M60 Posts: 5,597
    Forum Member
    coolrobert wrote: »
    "Sadly we won't be available on Freesat as they aren't able to encrypt audiovisual content for London transmission only". https://twitter.com/LondonLive From there twitter feed.

Maybe they've only bought the rights for London itself, never mind the rest of the UK. This would mean that the channel could be fully encrypted and opened to only London postcodes to thus protect rights they've paid for?
  • Options
    timo_w2stimo_w2s Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting if it is only open to certain postcodes only, wouldn't it be one of the first encrypted channels to be specifically only available to a certain part of the UK? What about people like me who are outside the M25 in the home counties but are in the official London/Carlton broadcast area? At least I can pick up the current Freeview Local TV tests clearly if it's blocked on Sky...
  • Options
    M60M60 Posts: 5,597
    Forum Member
    timo_w2s wrote: »
    Interesting if it is only open to certain postcodes only, wouldn't it be one of the first encrypted channels to be specifically only available to a certain part of the UK? What about people like me who are outside the M25 in the home counties but are in the official London/Carlton broadcast area? At least I can pick up the current Freeview Local TV tests clearly if it's blocked on Sky...

I reckon that's what they will do. Even being FTV won't protect London coverage only, they would have to be postcode restricted behind a subscription paywall.

Made in Leeds have said that they will be on Freesat I believe so guess each broadcaster is taking their own view in terms of rights etc. I guess most won't show anything exciting anyway so not really an issue!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't the various ITV regions restricted to certain postcodes (the
    "Add Channels" feature doesn't count)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    Aren't the various ITV regions restricted to certain postcodes (the
    "Add Channels" feature doesn't count)

But anyone can still view them, they are not blocked by encryption.

I just thought of some channels, RTE in Northern Ireland... :D
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M60 wrote: »
    I reckon that's what they will do. Even being FTV won't protect London coverage only, they would have to be postcode restricted behind a subscription paywall.
    Presumably only the local channel from your region will be available on the Sky EPG then. I wonder if they'll actually encrypt each local channel with a different tier. Seems like a lot of effort...maybe they'll use a non-standard signal rate to ensure users can't add the channels from other regions manually on a Sky box instead?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    maybe they'll use a non-standard signal rate to ensure users can't add the channels from other regions manually on a Sky box instead?

That would be quite a clever way of doing it but it would mean taking out a whole new transponder just for local TV. The other option would be to squeeze it on an existing DVB-S2 transponder (which can't be tuned to manually on a Sky box) but that would mean it would only be viewable on Sky HD boxes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But anyone can still view them, they are not blocked by encryption.

I just thought of some channels, RTE in Northern Ireland... :D

That should have been a "weren't" - they were encrypted at one point in time (aren't some still encrypted?).

Depending on the exact rights negotiations presumably being Encrypted (even if that is on the existing Freesat from Sky tier) and only on the EPG would be enough to meet the terms of the agreements? It's not like Add Channels is exactly easy to use for most people!

Hopefully it will be FTA and just off the Freesat EPG to reduce costs, or at least FTV (my card being a North West ex-sub one won't help if they do region locking though :D )
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    coolrobert wrote: »

I guess we could infer from that info that the channel will be free-to-view requiring a Sky viewing card then and possibly broadcasting from the Eutelsat 28A satellite or from some of the Astra widebeams.

I think we'd better wait and see though to see if they're actually broadcasting free to air because I've often found (no offence intended) that front end staff just don't have a clue and don't make any distinction between being on the Sky EPG/free-to-air/free-to-view, etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    That should have been a "weren't" - they were encrypted at one point in time (aren't some still encrypted?).
    The old encrypted ITV1 channels would always open with any Sky or FTV card though. I think RTE channels in NI are the closest thing to what I was think of since only NI cards will open the channels if London Live is locked to London.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Does the license fee pay for any of this "local TV" stuff?
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eston Bleu wrote: »
    Does the license fee pay for any of this "local TV" stuff?

Yes £25 million for set up and then £15 million for news material it buys
    See http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/our_work/strategy/licence_fee/local_tv_contribution.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    No, not the first time. BBC1 Scotland was like that in the bad old days of encryption.

Oh yes, wasn't that down to Scottish sports rights?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Yes £25 million for set up and then £15 million for news material it buys
    See http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/our_work/strategy/licence_fee/local_tv_contribution.html

So everyone will be paying for it and subsidising the entertainment of an already well-catered for metropolitan population. Wow.

Completely unjustifiable.