Diane in Hollyoaks

essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,208
Forum Member
Does anyone feel sorry for her with the baby plot? I mean she has two kids already, unless she's just a stepmum not sure, I felt more for Jacqui when she was desperate for kids

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    She is the step mum. Her and her daughter Sinead are amazing actresses. I find their scenes very emotional and captivating. This is a scoop for Paul Marquess. Seems like Hollyoaks is on the up again!
  • lobeydosserlobeydosser Posts: 3,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    essexpete wrote: »
    Does anyone feel sorry for her with the baby plot? I mean she has two kids already, unless she's just a stepmum not sure, I felt more for Jacqui when she was desperate for kids

Much as I hate to sympathise with Jacquie, at least her story had a build-up to it - the miscarriage that showed she couldn't carry a pregnancy, the attempts to adopt etc. This story was just thrust on us with all the new characters and there was no build up to it at all.

Jacquie's solution was vile and she lost all sympathy, but the story of how she couldn't have children wasn't just thrust upon us.
  • ReoReo Posts: 8,659
    Forum Member
    I think the whole storyline is weird. What kind of family, one with apparently a responsible adult (The father), allows a person who has kidnapped a baby to keep him for days without doing anything about it?! The father came home, they didn't show him say much about it, before he left for school again. The same the next day, he left and allowed his teenage daughter to handle it.

The kids are no better though, the girl changes her mood every second. One moment she is happy and the next she slams the door after shouting. She went absolutely crazy about having to inject the mother, which I don't get why.

And the boy doesn't stop talking about his mother having another kid and them not being 'really' hers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    The daughter Sinead is obviously a confused teenager. You can tell she loves her step-mum but is upset that her step-mum still wants a child of her own. She is just doing as she is told by the adults, so her moods will be changing. I think she was annoyed about the IVF because her mum seems a bit obsessive over it and her and Finn probably feel left out. I think Stephanie Davis who plays Sinead is a brilliant little actress! The actors have to follow the storylines and I think her and the step-mum are amazing during their scenes. Best Hollyoaks in ages.
  • MoDingleMoDingle Posts: 4,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking as a long term viewer of HO - 12+ years - I think it is turning into a load of rubbish - this story about the 'stolen' baby is so bady acted and written - it's a struggle to watch it nowadays - I will be watching until Steph 'leaves' than that's it for me - cannot bear the returned Lee or his girlfriend - Brendan is a totally unbelievable 'gangster' and am not looking forward to his story with Ste as I think it is out of character for both of them - lots of weak actors and ridiculously unbelievable storylines i.e the 'alien' - sad days for Hollyoaks :(:(
  • joolzjoolz Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoDingle wrote: »
    Speaking as a long term viewer of HO - 12+ years - I think it is turning into a load of rubbish - this story about the 'stolen' baby is so bady acted and written - it's a struggle to watch it nowadays - I will be watching until Steph 'leaves' than that's it for me - cannot bear the returned Lee or his girlfriend - Brendan is a totally unbelievable 'gangster' and am not looking forward to his story with Ste as I think it is out of character for both of them - lots of weak actors and ridiculously unbelievable storylines i.e the 'alien' - sad days for Hollyoaks :(:(

I agree, i'm hanging on hoping that everything will improve once we get the better cast back centre stage. if that doesn't happen I'm giving up.
  • emzi27emzi27 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joolz wrote: »
    I agree, i'm hanging on hoping that everything will improve once we get the better cast back centre stage. if that doesn't happen I'm giving up.

Yeah its so poor right now. The adult stuff is 'ok' but the students are terrible. Remind me of drama classes I went to when I was younger. That Leanne is AWFUL! Stands there like a spare part when it's not her line and when she does speak she sounds like she is reading it off a script!
  • essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,208
    Forum Member
    I dont really rate the O'Connors much,the Langford sisters arent that bad(Know India isnt exactly a new character but there u go. Also think Carl Costello is interesting
  • MoDingleMoDingle Posts: 4,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    essexpete wrote: »
    I dont really rate the O'Connors much,the Langford sisters arent that bad(Know India isnt exactly a new character but there u go. Also think Carl Costello is interesting

Same here - India has grown on me - I really don't like the change in Jem - and her 'sister's' story is downright daft too - as if she looks so different when she puts the beanie hat on lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the oconners and diane my fave new adition to the cast along with eva .. and ive been watching about 11 years ...

I feel complete and utter sympathy for her its devastating being unable to have kids of ur own .. luckily I hav a 20 month old but wasalways told i wouldnt and it took a long time to get pregnant ..... i think the storylines being handled well and its quite upsetting realy watching it play out

this said i do agree that we should of seen her struggle with the ivf more before the baby taking plot ... but i guess paul needed big storylines happening straight away to get people talki and watching again
  • all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    I've found it a bit weird, but the family are great. They don't actually live in the village do that - that's what i gather. Diane and Sinead work well together as a mother-daughter. Finn is a bit deranged, i think he'll go down the Fletch route in a few years.
  • MuteBananaMuteBanana Posts: 3,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This story was just thrust on us with all the new characters and there was no build up to it at all.

This is how I feel. And its frustrating because I'm really liking Sinead and Diane. But I'm just not connecting with this storyline because I don't care enough yet.

When I saw the baby in Diane's arms it just seemed...weird. It should have been shocking, but it wasn't.

The stuff tonight with Lindsay made me wonder how much interaction the O'Connors have had with other characters. Have they been in the pub or shop or Gnosh yet? They seem to be in their own bubble and I think thats why I find it hard to take to their storyline.
  • essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,208
    Forum Member
    Thought Sinead had made friends with Amber
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    I really don't care about the storyline. They should have kept it back a few months to give time for Diane to form a friendship group with Gabby and Heidi. I think if she had strong friends and we'd seen her having fun on screen we might care a bit more about her.
    I do think she and her daughter are good actresses though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    all_night wrote: »
    I've found it a bit weird, but the family are great. They don't actually live in the village do that - that's what i gather. Diane and Sinead work well together as a mother-daughter. Finn is a bit deranged, i think he'll go down the Fletch route in a few years.

:D:o lol
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No she's a terrible mother. As I pointed out a few months ago. Is it any wonder that Sinead abs Finn have turned out the way they have when she all but abandoned them. I don't care if she is only their step mother, she's looked after them since they were babies so to all intents and purposes she is their mother.
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,644
    Forum Member
    No she's a terrible mother. As I pointed out a few months ago. Is it any wonder that Sinead abs Finn have turned out the way they have when she all but abandoned them. I don't care if she is only their step mother, she's looked after them since they were babies so to all intents and purposes she is their mother.
    BIB - I'm not sure it's been as long as that. Anyway, while she probably does have to take some responsibility for how they have turned out, I'd say their biological parents are the ones who are primarily responsible. They actually did abandon both children when they were young (in the mother's case, when they were very young) and needed them.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lulu g wrote: »
    BIB - I'm not sure it's been as long as that. Anyway, while she probably does have to take some responsibility for how they have turned out, I'd say their biological parents are the ones who are primarily responsible. They actually did abandon both children when they were young (in the mother's case, when they were very young) and needed them.

She's looked after them since they were very young as neither Finn nor Sinead had any memories of their biological mother when they met her. I'd say that Diane and Robb are equally to blame. The biological mother has had little to do with them since she left. Something which Rob and Diane endorsed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diane should of made Sinead and Finn go live with Rob.
    Forum Member
    She's looked after them since they were very young as neither Finn nor Sinead had any memories of their biological mother when they met her. I'd say that Diane and Robb are equally to blame. The biological mother has had little to do with them since she left. Something which Rob and Diane endorsed.
    The fact that she abandoned them may well have had a pernicious effect on them.
    Forum Member
    Diane should of made Sinead and Finn go live with Rob.
    If only she had!