Options

The Big Holby City Thread (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    Maria747Maria747 Posts: 2,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I don't understand is, there is no mention of Jac's half sister, Paula hasn't mentioned her at all.
  • Options
    skteoskskteosk Posts: 19,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder what sort of ratings that got with the England game on the other side. Near suicidal scheduling which left me trying to watch both on different monitors.

Anyway...I imagine there are people who weren't happy with that ending. Personally, happy would be the wrong word but I think something like that needed to happen: It couldn't end with either Jonny or Jac "winning" and taking Emma off the other against their wishes. I'm not sure if Jonny trying to stop Jac leaving is enough to redeem his earlier character assassination of Jac in some people's eyes, although personally I'm willing to accept it. Jac did love Emma, I've no doubt of that. Does she loves her enough? Maybe, maybe not, parenthood means you can't be the most important person in your own life and Jac struggled with that. I sympathise completely and I think she was hard on herself but maybe she needs this as a wake-up call, to realise just how important Emma is to her. I think Jonny will ultimately end up accepting her back into Emma's life when she's ready. Jac's story about where Emma got her name didn't quite gel for me, I kept expecting a big revelation about how things went wrong with the foster family but instead it was just a bit "meh". Jac rejecting Paula right to the end was well-played and we do get a reference to Jasmine, albeit an offhand one. The parallel with Jonny losing Bonnie didn't quite work and Elliot massively annoyed me interrupting an operation and potentially putting a patient's life at risk to lecture Jac.

Elsewhere, Sacha and Essie's storyline was sweet if a bit thin and I'm glad it stayed platonic. I appreciated the Jac/Sacha scene, as I'm sure others did, but Sacha back living with his mother? Really? I can understand him letting Chrissie and Daniel (the latter of whom seemed to get forgotten about here) stay on in the family home but can't he afford his own place?
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Maria747 wrote: »
    What I don't understand is, there is no mention of Jac's half sister, Paula hasn't mentioned her at all.

Yes there was. Jac asked about her tonight, why she wasn't abandoned and Paula said it was just different and easy with Jasmine and that she hadn't told her she was dying. So basically, Paula was putting the blame onto Jac - I loved your sister but not you so it must be a fault with you.

Charming!
  • Options
    Maria747Maria747 Posts: 2,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Yes there was. Jac asked about her tonight, why she wasn't abandoned and Paula said it was just different and easy with Jasmine and that she hadn't told her she was dying. So basically, Paula was putting the blame onto Jac - I loved your sister but not you so it must be a fault with you.

Charming!

Sorry kitkat, I missed that bit as I was switching channels with England V Uruguay ! Will re-watch again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can believe that Sacha is having to live with his mother. That house he bought for Chrissie was huge, we were told he was struggling financially then. Plus he must have to pay her child maintenance and the same with Helen for Rachel and Becca. Having to lose 2 house to 2 different women in only about 5 years is going to hit even a high earner and he is still a Registrar rather than Consultant so won't be on a huge wage.
  • Options
    jamesc_715jamesc_715 Posts: 8,505
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Ooh well. As mentioned today, jac's mother abandoned her when Jac was 12 so she had to go into Care. She'd also lied that Jac's grandfather was dead when he wasn't, if Jac had known he was alive he could have taken her in. Paula had also told her Grandad that Jac was going with her so he didn't know she was in Care. Then, 4 years agi, Paula turned up again and pretended to want to reconcile with Jac so Jac donated a kidney to her. Then, Paula just left again but Jac found out that she had a sister she'd never known about that Paula hadn't abandoned - and that her Grandad was alive. She came back this time, Jac gave her some money and Paula immediately gave it to Jonny to fund his Custody case.

Jonny, it's lots of things but the main one is that he started a custody battle to take Emma away from Jac for no good reason except trying to hurt her because he wrongly blamed her for his fiancee death. He's been chipping away at her confidence and self esteem for months now and this is the result.

Thanks so much for all of the information :). It is greatly appreciated. It certainly explains why Jac acted cold towards her mother. Wow her mother was a nasty piece of work. Ah I see about Jonny but I heard that Bonnie died and he was really unfair to Jac. Gonna watch Holby City regularly now :D
  • Options
    george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    I always said that if this storyline ended with Jac giving Emma to Jonny and walking away from her I'd hate it, but now that it's happened it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I think the reason is that it very much came across as though Jac was a far better mum than she thought she was. I thought if this ever happened, it would take the 'Jac is a horrible mum, and she realises it and makes the right decision to give baby Emma to lovely Jonny' approach, and it wasn't like that at all. It was more like 'Jac's mum says some things to her that make her even more damaged and insecure than she already is, believing that she'd let Emma down when in fact she'll be an amazing mum, and now Jonny has to convince her of that', which is a scenario that I like a lot more.

That surely can't be the last we see of Jac. I've never liked Jonny, but if life has taught me one thing it is that people can change, and I think he may be a lot better in the future. If he persuades Jac to come back and be a part of Emma's life again, I'd really love that. I'm not sure if I'd want them to get back together - I never really liked them as a couple anyway - but if they could be friends and pull together for Emma's sake, I think that would be fantastic. It certainly came across that Jac was making that decision not because she was thinking straight, but because she's just very damaged and doesn't realise that she could actually be a great mum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just as an aside, is Hansenn running some kind of recruitment agency over there? Stockholm is becoming like Brisbane in Neighbours for writing characters out!
  • Options
    wiggles247wiggles247 Posts: 48,088
    Forum Member
    NickJordan wrote: »
    Confirmed:
    Hari Dhillon reprising Michael Spence role for 6 episodes

Yay!!!! :):D And I take back all` my doubtings!

k9fan wrote: »
    The rest didn't interest me. Zosia, or whatever her name is, should never have done what she did.

????

I always said that if this storyline ended with Jac giving Emma to Jonny and walking away from her I'd hate it, but now that it's happened it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I think the reason is that it very much came across as though Jac was a far better mum than she thought she was. I thought if this ever happened, it would take the 'Jac is a horrible mum, and she realises it and makes the right decision to give baby Emma to lovely Jonny' approach, and it wasn't like that at all. It was more like 'Jac's mum says some things to her that make her even more damaged and insecure than she already is, believing that she'd let Emma down when in fact she'll be an amazing mum, and now Jonny has to convince her of that', which is a scenario that I like a lot more.

That surely can't be the last we see of Jac. I've never liked Jonny, but if life has taught me one thing it is that people can change, and I think he may be a lot better in the future. If he persuades Jac to come back and be a part of Emma's life again, I'd really love that. I'm not sure if I'd want them to get back together - I never really liked them as a couple anyway - but if they could be friends and pull together for Emma's sake, I think that would be fantastic. It certainly came across that Jac was making that decision not because she was thinking straight, but because she's just very damaged and doesn't realise that she could actually be a great mum.

Have to agree with you George - it wasn't as bad as it could have been (with the way they've chosen to go with this storyline) and we'll just have to hope that Jonny does keep his promise!!

Also, agree with everyone who said it was a brilliant piece of writing with fabulous performances from all concerned. A veritable triumph = shows what Holby can do when its on top form. More like this (the acting and writing if not the storyline) please!!!

And really liked the Sacha/Essie storyline too - they could have really over-egged that particular pudding but I thought it was handled beautifully!! See Oliver you don't need 'spice' to make a great show just consistent characters* who people (can) care about, good writing and actors who can pull it out of the bag when they need it, tonight's episode = a case in point!!! (* because I think Jonny mark 1 [before the alien invasion] was back tonight)
  • Options
    Spin turnSpin turn Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jac is probably one of my favourite Holby City characters ever, and I love the way she has acquired much more depth to her character. I will really miss her if she has gone for good. :-(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Glad I watched it last night online to avoid the England match clash

Didn't like the was it ended, Jacs my favourite person on the show
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    How will they write it though when she comes back, she was on this morning and she stated she wasn't leaving
  • Options
    Forum Member
    News, hot off the press. In a feat of wonder writing* that I don't think will ever be matched (5 minutes guys and gals, 5 minutes) clover has already done her review:

http://pauseliveaction.wordpress.com/2014/06/19/holby-city-surgeon-or-mother/

(*either that or she had a sneak peak via BBC Scotland or the i-player )

And jamesc, if you're interested in finding out about Holby history clover's reviews are a brilliant resource (and in bad Holby weeks more entertaining than the programme itself). She's being done them for ages (maybe since 2008) and I think they should all be on the pla website, or if you have a kindle (other e-books are available :) but I don't know what they're called :D) you can download most of them at a very reasonable price (and no I'm not on commission) and then just read the latest ones.

Spin turn wrote: »
    Jac is probably one of my favourite Holby City characters ever, and I love the way she has acquired much more depth to her character. I will really miss her if she has gone for good. :-(

Have no fear Jac will be back!! (Hopefully as clover says, with Hanssen having worked his magic, absence making her heart even fonder than it obviously already is and Jonny having worked his socks off to keep his promise!!)
  • Options
    tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She will come back and Johnny will win her heart again and she will learn to love.
  • Options
    alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can she just swan off to Sweden tho? She has a job!
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, have to agree that it wasn't as bad as I feared it might be. I was pretty sure Jac would give Emma to Jonny but I was convinced this was his last episode and he was just going to swan off smugly with her. Not only did that not happen but Jonny did redeem himself quite a bit. He seems to have finally realised that it was his grief over Bonnie that set this whole ugly mess in action and hopefully now realises that the venom he has been dripping into Jac's ear (along with the mother from hell Paula) has done real damage to Jac, hence her decision.

But all is not lost. I was very reassured by his "WE will get mummy back Emma" at the end. If he starts to treat Jac like a normal human being on her return she might eventually see sense and agree to co-parent Emma with him. It's clear she absolutely adores her daughter.

Like another poster Elliot annoyed me by distracting Jac about Paula IN THE MIDDLE OF HEART SURGERY!! Mo did it too, earlier. WTF???? Way to kill patients on the operation table, people :D:D

And I liked Sacha and Essie - they fit together right, so much better suited than he ever was with Chrissie. Why do I get the feeling it will end tragically? :( And I liked his little chat with Jac but really he should have been around for her a bit more than he was imo.

And I love, love, love the idea of Jac in Sweden with Hanssen and Malik. Maybe Michael could go there too when he is finished - that is one spin off show I would LOVE to see!! :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alsmama wrote: »
    How can she just swan off to Sweden tho? She has a job!

Because this is Holby and they can do that there = normal rules do NOT apply!!! :):D;-)
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be wonderful if Jac didn't come back, I really don't like her. Did she go off to Sweden to find Hannson? I wasn't aware she was close to him or anything.

I am glad that Johnny has now got Emma, I think he is a much more devoted Father to her than Jac is a devoted Mother.

Had to smile at all the daffodils seen in the garden of Sacha's Mum's house. Bit late, flowering in June :D

Glad Michael is returning even if only for a few episodes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The choice of clips at the start made it very obvious that we were returning to the subject of Johnny being in love with Jac. And he understands about her and the prime numbers. The happy ending's been delayed, but it will come - but at least Rosie Marcel get a few hard-earned weeks off first.

Paula's death scene was really good until the slow-mo shot of the chain dropping from her hand. I far preferred the subtle scene when Jac opened the sweetheart locket to find no faces inside, and smiled to herself.

Rosie Marcel's acting as Paula gave her final speech was spectacular. She deserves every award going.
  • Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazing episode! Was genuinely shocked at the end... When's Jac back?
  • Options
    MorgsieMorgsie Posts: 16,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was emotional, surprised that jac gave Emma to Johnny. Johnny's redemption start. Jac has always been a fave of mine and I hope she comes back. Rosie is a brilliant actress and deserves recognition

I take it was Heathrow T5
  • Options
    alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, the acting was brilliant. Can anyone tell me why Holby wasn't included in the soap awards? I think they should have won a few...
  • Options
    millysshawmillysshaw Posts: 2,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jac has let her Mum get in her head, saying about having to choose between being a surgeon and a Mother. You don't have to plently Mum's do both. Paula even while dying really was a nasty character almost implying that she was like her and would not make a good mother. As for the last bit about the necklace....

Loved the scene with Jac and Sacha the writers remembered they are still friends. Also think Sacha knows Jac a lot better than Johnny. Johnny talked about love she did know how to love. Showing again how he did not understand her, but then realized she did actually love Emma, a bit late though. He did try to get her to come back. When he said to Emma, we will get Mummy back Emma, hope they do work something out.

Liked that Sacha has got a new girlfriend she seems a lot better than Chrissie already. Maybe bring out another side to Sacha.

Missed the start due to late tea. Has Zosia given the story to the newspapers about a patient. Against hospital rules given a patients information. Will she get in trouble for that?
  • Options
    Spin turnSpin turn Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wiggles247 wrote: »
    Have no fear Jac will be back!! (Hopefully as clover says, with Hanssen having worked his magic, absence making her heart even fonder than it obviously already is and Jonny having worked his socks off to keep his promise!!)

Good! Although I hope she hasn't changed too much and gone all soppy.
    And I love, love, love the idea of Jac in Sweden with Hanssen and Malik. Maybe Michael could go there too when he is finished - that is one spin off show I would LOVE to see!! :cool:

Oh yes. Super characters. I am looking forward to the return of Michael.
  • Options
    peaches41peaches41 Posts: 5,652
    Forum Member
    Yep, have to agree that it wasn't as bad as I feared it might be. I was pretty sure Jac would give Emma to Jonny but I was convinced this was his last episode and he was just going to swan off smugly with her. Not only did that not happen but Jonny did redeem himself quite a bit. He seems to have finally realised that it was his grief over Bonnie that set this whole ugly mess in action and hopefully now realises that the venom he has been dripping into Jac's ear (along with the mother from hell Paula) has done real damage to Jac, hence her decision.

But all is not lost. I was very reassured by his "WE will get mummy back Emma" at the end. If he starts to treat Jac like a normal human being on her return she might eventually see sense and agree to co-parent Emma with him. It's clear she absolutely adores her daughter.

Like another poster Elliot annoyed me by distracting Jac about Paula IN THE MIDDLE OF HEART SURGERY!! Mo did it too, earlier. WTF???? Way to kill patients on the operation table, people :D:D

And I liked Sacha and Essie - they fit together right, so much better suited than he ever was with Chrissie. Why do I get the feeling it will end tragically? :( And I liked his little chat with Jac but really he should have been around for her a bit more than he was imo.

Yes! And in Swedish with subtitles lol! Like watching one of those brilliant Scandinavian dramas. Can just imagine it....
This discussion has been closed.